Become a Patron!

Provape going out of business!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Right but they had what, 3 mods? Compared to how many flavors and variations of juice? Other folks are getting mods approved. It would have made more sense to keep the mods and drop the juice in light of regulations. That's what makes me look at it a little funny, as if the FDA is only part of the blame. I think their real issue was trying to justify the cost of their mods vs the competition.
Gotcha good catch their could be more to this than just a victim of the FDA..

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sad to see them go. I'll never forget the day when I vaped my first Provari. They were great compared to the cheap shit China produced at that time. Today's another story. China changed the entire industry with the wattage wars at low prices. People demanded more vapor and bigger flavor. Provape had no desire to compete, and sales dropped. Phil and Dimitris must be having a hot cocoa cry-in right about now :giggle:

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
They came, they saw, they conquered then they left. Its a viable business practice to make your money then get out of the biz while the gettin is good. They also lost to the higher powered, cheaper flashier units that many go for now. People are more willing to spend 50 bucks on a unit then toss it in less than a year than spend 150 to have it for many years. Its more of a minority of us who buy for quality and are willing to spend the extra few bucks for it.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How about a simple thing like they made as much money as they need
and now want to move to the Czech Republic or somewhere and hang out?
maybe they sure did rape enough people to have quite a sum with 450000 devices sold

Right but they had what, 3 mods? Compared to how many flavors and variations of juice? Other folks are getting mods approved. It would have made more sense to keep the mods and drop the juice in light of regulations. That's what makes me look at it a little funny, as if the FDA is only part of the blame. I think their real issue was trying to justify the cost of their mods vs the competition.
What you don't understand is first off they had 5 models clasic in at least 5 colors, p3 in at least 8 colors, procyon in 5 colors, radius in 5 main colors and 10 possible custom configurations in two power levels. Thats 48 models to list and register at ~20k+ per model just to register (remember the FDA stated that even a color change denoted a new model requiring a new filing). Then theres the testing requirement that states every model must be tested in every possible configuration with every juice/tank combo availble (not what the company makes but what a user has access to) as part of the PMTA process. One round of testing for one model can reach $3.5m easily. Add to that the $450k annual "dues" for administrative fees the FDA charges just to be able to file(and for inspection costs) along with $150k per PMTA for filing fees and it adds up quick.

Second this was a 100% made in america product right down to the individual electronic components. NOthing was sourced outside the US which added to the cost, unlike Evolve that just assembles "some" of their boards here. Most are made in china now.

Third you are wrong. NO ONE has gotten any vape product approved and the only on even close to a PMTA is PMI on their cig alike. IF you know otherwise please post a link as I can't find anyone that has been approved by the FDA.

Fourth. They were designing and testing more new models other than what was released but they test everything they can think of for about 10 months before releasing. The regs would increase that to a minimum of 5 years (estimated) and no business can afford to lock up several million for years on end with no return on investment and no guarantee their filing will even be processed. No bank would float a loan in these circumstances. So just based on #4 alone ONE submission would bankrupt them.

Fifth. As for relevence, they had no problem selling their products and a lot of dealers were selling out fairly fast.

dchest02

Member For 4 Years
While this news bums me out purely on a nostalgic level, what really saddens me is the fact that people would rather hate on ProVape for saying their closure is due to the FDA regs (when of course every keyboard warrior on social media and every forum know that's really not the reason) instead of seeing the big picture of what is happening to the vaping industry. Whether or not ProVape's decision to close was in fact due to what they saw as impending doom due to the FDA regs or if they just weren't moving enough devices because they abandoned current trends to make a "safer" device (I do believe they should have upped their game to at least try to compete with the high wattage mods being pumped out by every other company on the planet) the fact remains that we are going to see more and more vaping related companies based in the United States closing their doors. We keep getting shit on by our own government for wanting to keep ourselves off tobacco, while they turn the other cheek at the 40 flavors of Pinnacle vodka that get no mention of being appealing to children, and the legalization of pot because it makes state government hundreds of millions of dollars per year in taxes. God forbid we found a product that keeps us from killing ourselves, but in the process cuts into your profits. Like it or not, this will not be the last company to close their doors due to the (real or just blamed on) FDA regulations. I suppose we can all just come on the internet and say that X company is actually closing because they didn't do Y or Z, and it's not REALLY due to the regulations the FDA is putting in place. Then we'll all be happy.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Indeed, similar to Russian......:wave:
<Waving back at ya>
Truly, but the Russian chicks love money more than love whereas I'm told
(by a vaper bud who used to be here on VU and at ECF) who has a Czech fiance,
plans to move to Czechia soon, and loves to send me pics of all the Czech ladies he knows,
that the Czechs love love and Americans... :)

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Fourth. They were designing and testing more new models other than what was released but they test everything they can think of for about 10 months before releasing. The regs would increase that to a minimum of 5 years (estimated) and no business can afford to lock up several million for years on end with no return on investment and no guarantee their filing will even be processed. No bank would float a loan in these circumstances. So just based on #4 alone ONE submission would bankrupt them.

While that might be true the rather never ending, years long road to the release of the P3 didn't exactly instill much faith in their faithful that product releases were something to actually be looked forward to. That was A LOT more than a 10 month period and was rightly criticized for being leaps and bounds behind the industry by the time it finally arrived.

When it did finally show I'm still of the opinion it was not much more than an eVic Supreme - which beat them to market - at over double the price. Company reputation is all well and good, but that does not guarantee every product is going to top the charts either.

Fifth. As for relevence, they had no problem selling their products and a lot of dealers were selling out fairly fast.

Funny, I got a reply when I asked about why they did the sudden closing and if specific parts were still available: "...the demand has been so low recently..." They may not have had enough sales to keep the company afloat, let alone generate enough funds to pour into new product development.

As already noted, they could have stayed in the marketplace for quite some time before the 2018 deadline hit. One could assume if product was still rolling out the door there would have been no good reason to close at this time.

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
well, I was hoping to someday have a Procyon...but that probably won't happen now, as I don't have the budget for it now. Maybe someday somebody who has one will be over the tube mod design and want to trade my Radius for it :giggle:

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well, I was hoping to someday have a Procyon...but that probably won't happen now, as I don't have the budget for it now. Maybe someday somebody who has one will be over the tube mod design and want to trade my Radius for it :giggle:
I planned to buy the Stealth Procyon as a birthday present for myself in June...guess it isn't happening.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I planned to buy the Stealth Procyon as a birthday present for myself in June...guess it isn't happening.
You might still find one at HOH.
- could be worth a call.

As it is, I have a radius going in to bill for repair this week.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might still find one at HOH.
- could be worth a call.

As it is, I have a radius going in to bill for repair this week.

I understand their juice vendor (url at the provape site) will be selling their stock
so there may be hope for the Procyon yet.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I understand their juice vendor (url at the provape site) will be selling their stock

Selling their remaining stock. If it's not there already - and it isn't - I don't think there is anything to be hanging any hope on.

As it is, if you buy a 500 ml jug of liquid they will thrown in a Provari 2.5 as a free bonus gift. :giggle: (See the site - not kidding.)

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Possibly, I've been looking; because, I was waiting for the gold plated one to drop a tad more in price. I wanted to pair it with my dotmod(it rocks on my SS Procyon)
Last I saw they had the blems around 140-ish?
Hope you get your stealth though, the mod does kick ass! Hell, even for a like me that normally uses TC mode the 60w radius is damn near perfect!!!

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Selling their remaining stock. If it's not there already - and it isn't - I don't think there is anything to be hanging any hope on.

As it is, if you buy a 500 ml jug of liquid they will thrown in a Provari 2.5 as a free bonus gift. :giggle: (See the site - not kidding.)
I saw the site..I know but I DIY, and I don't want the 2.5 anyhow :)

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Didn't mean to chap anyone's ass but it seems that if 'they had no problem selling their units' then they 'wouldn't have a problem with fda regs'. Common sense says if a business rolls up and calls it quits it's not doing too well. They're not the only ones in the vape industry and others are still in business. The entire vape industry didn't just collapse so...yea.

MBV pulled the same kind of crap, making changes and shorting things, blaming it on the FDA weeks before the whole 8/8 situation. Some people have called b.s. on it. I still see new flavors coming out from other ejuice vendors and see similar vendors with a far bigger selection still in business. They're not getting a free pass on regs.

Just as some people have posted in the forums there's a bit of a discrepancy. Some old time vape shops are shuttering their doors and it's sad to see them go. Then others post and talk about new vape shops springing up on every corner in their towns. So which is it? Maybe it's bad investment on the part of the newcomers, maybe it's the location, who knows. However new places springing up doesn't completely support the theory of the FDA gloom that's causing places to close down. Maybe shop A is closing but B, C and D are opening. Maybe the regs mean a shift in the market but it's not the first market to see regulations come into effect and have to roll with the punches.

Perhaps I used the wrong wording, when I said approved. The grammar nazi's are in full force to litigate so maybe I should have had my Harvard lawyers write the draft. lmfao. Bottom line, dozens of others are still in business, provape not so much. Now if provape, smok, ijoy, hohm tech, and others all had to shutter their doors due to the FDA that would be a bit easier to accept. One by itself? I'm not bashing on them for their personal choices, their business - literally. I wish them well in whatever future endeavors they take on. Just saying it's a bit suspect to swing and miss and bitch the sun was in your eyes during a night game, that's all.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Didn't mean to chap anyone's ass but it seems that if 'they had no problem selling their units' then they 'wouldn't have a problem with fda regs'. Common sense says if a business rolls up and calls it quits it's not doing too well. They're not the only ones in the vape industry and others are still in business. The entire vape industry didn't just collapse so...yea.

MBV pulled the same kind of crap, making changes and shorting things, blaming it on the FDA weeks before the whole 8/8 situation. Some people have called b.s. on it. I still see new flavors coming out from other ejuice vendors and see similar vendors with a far bigger selection still in business. They're not getting a free pass on regs.

Just as some people have posted in the forums there's a bit of a discrepancy. Some old time vape shops are shuttering their doors and it's sad to see them go. Then others post and talk about new vape shops springing up on every corner in their towns. So which is it? Maybe it's bad investment on the part of the newcomers, maybe it's the location, who knows. However new places springing up doesn't completely support the theory of the FDA gloom that's causing places to close down. Maybe shop A is closing but B, C and D are opening. Maybe the regs mean a shift in the market but it's not the first market to see regulations come into effect and have to roll with the punches.

Perhaps I used the wrong wording, when I said approved. The grammar nazi's are in full force to litigate so maybe I should have had my Harvard lawyers write the draft. lmfao. Bottom line, dozens of others are still in business, provape not so much. Now if provape, smok, ijoy, hohm tech, and others all had to shutter their doors due to the FDA that would be a bit easier to accept. One by itself? I'm not bashing on them for their personal choices, their business - literally. I wish them well in whatever future endeavors they take on. Just saying it's a bit suspect to swing and miss and bitch the sun was in your eyes during a night game, that's all.
Their is more to the vaping industry than meets the eye in general any intelligent person see's this you were right on mark with your suspicions

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2afx6c6.jpg

I owned a few Provaris over the years, sold them off as I was always drawn back to mechanical devices, but they did exactly what they were supposed to do and I always liked the overall design and craftsmanship.

Never liked them when I first started vaping though, but that was entirely due to very outspoken hardcore fanboy-ism and nothing against the product itself.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
years long road to the release of the P3
You mean their take on a Vamo?
Fucking years behind current standards when it dropped and yet fanboys bought them by the scores.While I sat there laughing at their ever increasing idiocy levels.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Still not worth it...Period!

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2afx6c6.jpg

I owned a few Provaris over the years, sold them off as I was always drawn back to mechanical devices, but they did exactly what they were supposed to do and I always liked the overall design and craftsmanship.

Never liked them when I first started vaping though, but that was entirely due to very outspoken hardcore fanboy-ism and nothing against the product itself.
It's got a fucking plastic body...How exactly is that considered quality?
At least Vamo's had a metal body.So did the Lavatube...For fucks sake I will never understand people wanting to spend hugely ridiculous amounts of money on plastic crap.

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

To be fair, there is one minor difference between the hardware manufacturers that you listed......only one of them was based in the US, where the regs would hit harder

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes, its true.... Im sure there are many that are gloating, but honestly, I cant say enough about their CS, and so its not high powered but they work, and work and work.....

I have 2 old 2.5's with the updated flat tops and a P3 and I cant fault them at all.

I love them and though I tried to avoid the Provari's I am really happy I have these and will have them for a long time to come. Im sure they will out live my beautiful wood box.

prov%20trio-003_zpslwmy2ex2.jpg

pro%202_zpsapacfdfu.jpg

They by far, have given me some of the best customer service in all my years vaping, they fixed my screen 3x's without billing me and fixed my 510 once. Hana Modz is right up there too. They're some of my most well build mods, they can take a beating and look glorious after. To me, they are worth every penny. Sad to see this company leave..

An honorary #handcheck to Provape, for this was the device that got me into vaping in the first place..

jgjytl.png

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's got a fucking plastic body...How exactly is that considered quality?
At least Vamo's had a metal body.So did the Lavatube...For fucks sake I will never understand people wanting to spend hugely ridiculous amounts of money on plastic crap.

All the Provari tubes are Aluminum with exception of the Titanium edition. The one in my pic is a 2.5, doesn't have a plastic body, you must be thinking of the Radius. Hugely ridiculous amount of money? If that's what you consider a $79 mod to be, then its probably time to get out of your parents basement and get a proper job buddy LOL

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Either way, it's shitty to see an American manufacturer leave the market

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Pssst... Reosmods is still in business. I went right over there to check after the Provape closing. (More P67's coming over the next week or so and about a month later after that release too. Rob said so. Gonner get me one of those. :inlove:)

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Yup. Shitty for the loss of jobs and economy for the local community. I remember watching Phil's tour video awhile back. It made me appreciate my Provari a little more. Never saw any other videos of my higher end mechs made. I bet a couple were made in mom's basement in the Philippines or maybe a shady ass run down struggling to make ends meat muffler shop in Kentucky with a pitbull with an eye patch in the front yard named Diesel.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All the Provari tubes are Aluminum with exception of the Titanium edition. The one in my pic is a 2.5, doesn't have a plastic body, you must be thinking of the Radius. Hugely ridiculous amount of money? If that's what you consider a $79 mod to be, then its probably time to get out of your parents basement and get a proper job buddy LOL
The 1.5-2.5 Provari's we're $120+.

P's I'm 62 and retired now piss off

Sent from my HT3 Pro using Tapatalk

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The 1.5-2.5 Provari's we're $120+.

P's I'm 62 and retired now piss off

Your not retired. Retired people wake up early, read the paper, eat jello, play bridge, and can't eat chicken. Your a birthday party stripper and that's how you supply income for your vape gear. Your stripper name is Silverfox and your favorite thing to do is pop out of cakes. I'm the one who takes you to those parties.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Provari prices have been all over the map. In 2012 a full kit would set you back $211.95 (spinfuel.com) In May 2016 Provape was selling a bare not-mini size 2.5 for only $35.95 - and those weren't blemish models either. That must have really pissed off people who paid high prices as it rather blew a big fat hole in their resale value. I think they did a price increase after that but the 2.5's stayed well under a hundred bucks until they closed.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It doesn't piss me off really. This was years ago since I paid bought my Provari's. I also bought the Zenesis genesis atomizer and R91% to go with mine after. Things were very expensive back then. They may have had plummeted sales due to everyone vaping in higher wattages, they didn't catch up to the other companies (EVOLV) in the power game, or both. They had it made too with loyal customers and good reviews. I still pay a pretty penny for my mods currently. I don't purchase too many devices, I use a bunch at the shop I work at (the normal mainstream china ones we all know), I'd rather save or wait for something special, higher end, every few months, mostly mechs because they never get old, they'll work no matter what. They hold value and for some reason, I think, if we would faster forward 200 years and watch Antique Roadshow, you'll see mechanicals, us made, worth some money.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It doesn't bother me. I've bought 5 of their mods-2, 2.5s, a p3, Procyon and a radius60w.

Since t I started out that way, I've tended to spend a little more on average for most mods. But, I primarily do that for the after POS service.
Thankfully, Prorape is taking in one of my mods for service one last time. I also have a vaporshark enroute back to me from service. Another example of spending a tad more.

Not saying anything bad about anything else at all. Hell, Ive also bought several mods for 5-20$ all are still working and still getting used. Not sure what that really says about anything... Oh well

Jason Commerford

Member For 4 Years
Really sorry to see them go. I have been buying them this year trying to stock up. Got sick and tired of the Chinese mods that don't last over a year and each and every one that I have owned has some irritating glitch. As far as my experience goes they are all short term disposables. At least a Provari could be repaired which is more than can be said for the majority of the mods out there. I could most definitely be wrong but it seems to me that there are more people finally tiring of chasing the latest craze and going back to vaping for flavor. Put another way I know more cloud chasers transitioning back to MTL and lower wattage vaping than MTL vapors moving to cloud chasing and high wattage. So I don't know how irrelevant they actually were. But as I said that is based on my experience and is hardly a scientific sample.

They may have closed their door for a combination of all or many of the suggestions mentioned here, but I know one thing for certain and that is I will be using the demise of Provape to annoy the hell out of my representatives, at all levels of government, for this ridiculous war on vaping. You drive an American company renowned for it's commitment to safety and reliability, which is 100% made in America, out of business and tell us your concerned about vaping safety, bringing jobs back to this country, promoting small business, and getting our economy going? I know I'll be pissing into a F 5 tornado, but I will feel better.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your not retired. Retired people wake up early, read the paper, eat jello, play bridge, and can't eat chicken. Your a birthday party stripper and that's how you supply income for your vape gear. Your stripper name is Silverfox and your favorite thing to do is pop out of cakes. I'm the one who takes you to those parties.
And you are just a troll

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It doesn't piss me off really. This was years ago since I paid bought my Provari's. I also bought the Zenesis genesis atomizer and R91% to go with mine after. Things were very expensive back then. They may have had plummeted sales due to everyone vaping in higher wattages, they didn't catch up to the other companies (EVOLV) in the power game, or both. They had it made too with loyal customers and good reviews. I still pay a pretty penny for my mods currently. I don't purchase too many devices, I use a bunch at the shop I work at (the normal mainstream china ones we all know), I'd rather save or wait for something special, higher end, every few months, mostly mechs because they never get old, they'll work no matter what. They hold value and for some reason, I think, if we would faster forward 200 years and watch Antique Roadshow, you'll see mechanicals, us made, worth some money.

Hell, I paid $89 plus shipping for a Kabuki for my mini, lol

VU Sponsors