Become a Patron!

Pugsley's Clearly Visible Review of the Geekvape Aegis X Kit

Steampugs

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
VFCWhiX.jpg

Geekvape Aegis X Kit

I am now at that point in my life where denial is no longer a viable option. Try as I might, to continue playing video games, watch cartoons and insist on being breastfed, it is becoming more and more apparent that I am indeed losing the battle.... tis a sad and grounding realisation.... yet the crux of the matter is simply this....I am almost half a century old.

sobbing.gif

And this startling and seemingly unjustified reality is something that I have tried my utmost to postpone for as long as humanly possible, losing my immaturity almost as quickly as I am my own teeth....okay, that might be a slight exaggeration, as I am sure my own children can testify as they look up to me for guidance and wisdom....only to be confronted....by a fucking idiot..

stupid-eyes.gif

But I know it's there, I can feel it, I can especially feel it every morning as I slowly open my eyes to feel what was once a relaxing and positively refreshed experience...become one of complete confusion and horror as your body goes through a 572 point checklist of what works, and what still needs a good hour to warm up to what can be considered as even slightly functional...all the while making the same face I make when my other half asks me the seemingly unreasonable request of..."shall we go again"..

go-again.gif

'Life begins at 40' they said.......but what they failed to add was....that it only lasts for a couple of days.

Music becomes weirder, and louder, invites to social gatherings become completely dependent on physical ability coupled with the mathematical probability of whether you may...or may not...shit your pants in public should you attend, and your slightly younger peers and siblings usher you away from anything even slightly technological....no matter how 'tech savvy' you consider yourself......through fear of you plunging your entire town back into the dark ages, or accidently deleting their entire digital lives...

blind-computer.gif

But for me personally....all that stuff pales in comparison to the increasingly frustrating fact that my arms are simply not long enough anymore....for me to see my own fucking phone.

cant-see.gif

No sir, other than considerably cheaper car insurance, there is no joy to be had from becoming old....thankfully however, there are people out there...kind, caring, considerate people, who understand the plight of the elders, even if it may well be unintentional...I don't care, I'll take it, because these people stop me from looking like Mr Magoo in public as I appear to be taking a selfie with a large group of invisible people, when in fact I'm just trying to see who the fuck it is that's phoning me, with a device that lends itself perfectly...to the 'optically challenged'.

Shall we...

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Welcome once again my fellow decrepit and rheumatic ridden vape veterans, back again with more of the same, yet seldom do I receive a device with quite as much Vapingdom 'buzz' surrounding it, as the device I have for you today. I dare say my aging bladder may well have released more than a few millilitres of its own capacity since hearing this thing was announced....exciting...warm...and moist times.

SO....lots to talk about....(“Isn't there always with you?”)....HEY....I resemble that remark, I can't help it if I like the sound of my own...erm...typing (?) but let's get balls deep in this thing because, as I have already stated....not all of us have the time to spare.

Courtesy of my original gangsters over at Heavengifts , there's no need to adorn your reading glasses this time as I present to you, the much anticipated Geekvape Aegis X Kit....

5.jpg

16.jpg

The Lowdown

The Geekvape Aegis X Kit consists of the Cerberus sub-ohm tank (again)...more on that in a little while, and the Aegix X Mod. The mod is a 200w, dual 18650 powered device that is all kept in check by the brand spanking new AS 2.0 chipset, a chip that boasts to be twice as accurate as its predecessor, with a much faster response time to boot. To be perfectly honest, I found nothing wrong with the original chip so I'm assuming most of these improvements can be found within the TC functionality....I say 'assuming'...because try as I might, I couldn't find a solitary fuck to give anywhere upon my person regarding that....so let's say it is....and call it a day.

Size wise it's exactly the same as the Aegis Legend, it has the same hand grip....to a degree....the same appearance, and the same overall design.....

4.jpg

Apart from the front that is...

8.jpg

Gone is the...in my opinion...rather ugly flat fascia front, which in its previous form doubled up as an aquarium from time to time, and instead we have a more refined front plate whose design perfectly lends itself to the angular cut of the newly designed function buttons, and that infamous Aegis fire button.....love that shit.

Up on the top, it's business as usual with the unibody 510 connector and the rubber plugged USB connector for 2a balanced quick charging (don't take mine...or their word for it) and firmware updates.....

9.jpg

And underneath also stays largely unchanged, with the super firm and sealed battery door...

10.jpg

The AS 2.0 chipset has the usual array of Geekvape functions, with your run of the mill variable wattage, and also variable power curve, bypass, TC modes for SS, Ni & Ti, TCR adjustment, 4 memory modes and the newly added 3 power modes; soft, standard and powerful. It's also super safe, with just about every safety precaution you can think of.....but let's be perfectly honest here....at this point I feel like I've written that exact paragraph at least twenty times this year alone - it's exactly what you would expect AT THE VERY LEAST....from every modern day regulated device, if it doesn't have all that?....Then it's outa date...simple as.

What sets the Aegis range apart from the vast majority of the crowd though, is of course...how fucking nails it is.

tough.gif

Now...if say, you didn't know about the Aegis and what it represents, firstly...where the fuck have you been for the last couple of years??.....And secondly....you should know that this mod has been subject to some of the most worrying displays of dubious and psychopathic torture related testing to date. From being thrown out of a fourth story window, having a truck wheelspin straight over it, being frozen in a bucket of water, being launched into a brick wall, to being strapped into a chair and forced to watch back to back episodes of Love Island......this thing has been through it all....and lived to tell the tale. It's built with one thing in mind, to do away with those moments when you 'accidently' have a head on collision with a Jumbo Jet, and still have the need to vape straight afterwards, knowing full well that even though you have no arms and legs left, and your skull is basically a bag of sand and now where your arse used to be....your mod will still work perfectly well...because let's be honest, if your already dead, the last thing you need is a broken mod. That shit will just ruin your day.

Steampugs

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So...the Aegis has always been shock proof, dust proof, waterproof and......inconceivably cringey reality TV show proof..

However.......as you slowly...and somewhat dramatically rotate the Aegis X.....

11.jpg

You will soon be confronted...by something no other Aegis has had before...

12.jpg

Did you hear that?.....That was my degrading, age related, blind as fuck eyesight punching the air with a "FUCK YEAH"...it has no idea who to....it just knows that someone was there a moment ago...by the sound...

More than likely the first time in history that 2.4 inches has brought this much joy to anyone, even my other half was caught drooling whilst muttering under her breath..."that 2.4 inches is all I need in my life".....and she doesn't even vape anymore.....I'm actually not 100% sure she was looking at my mod though...

Regardless....it would seem that the fans of the original Aegis Legend, and their calls for a bigger, brighter, and easier to read screen were heard by the powers that be at Geekvape, although....I'm pretty sure no one expected that the team over at Geekvape, when told to design a bigger screen....would stroll into the R&D lab with something quite so ridiculous...

big-tv.gif

The only mod I currently own with a screen this size is the Laisimo L3 Touch, although that has the added feature of it being a touchscreen, and is a much higher resolution...and is also a couple of mm bigger....BUT....after using the L3 for a couple of years now, I can tell you that having it as a touchscreen is probably it's biggest con. Yes you can lock it, but I have unlocked it in my pocket sooo many times and taken a 200w hit off something that had no business being in that power range, so I'd much rather it wasn't. What the Aegis X concentrates on is clarity...PLUS...you do get a choice of themes, and within these themes, you also get quite a wide choice of colours..

AEGIS-SCREEN-GIF.gif

But the truth of the matter is, what means more to me than any of that, is the fact that I can read this thing without wearing my glasses, shit...the display is so damned big, and so damned clear, that I could read this thing from across the room, I shit you not.

And don't be fooled into thinking that it'll blind you either, unlike some devices that make their presence known as you sit in a darkened room watching a movie, and you pick your big screened mod up to try and adjust the settings....blinding you and anyone within a 5 mile radius...

too-bright.gif

No....the dark themes that come installed with the Aegis are very eye friendly indeed...much to the joys of retinas everywhere.

Now then...with the Aegis X also comes the latest rendition of the Cerberus Sub-Ohm tank, and as is the case with almost all included Sub-Ohm tanks these days, little has changed apart from the inclusion of the now industry standard mesh coils...

15.jpg

I mean there really is no reason to change anything else, these tanks tend to do the job in a way that....certainly newcomers....will be happy with.

It has a quick release top cap covering the dual fill holes...

7.jpg

Although this is flush..which I hate. Still...at least it's dual holes which makes it easier to fill as the air can escape out of one while you fill through the other...

6.jpg

It's 25mm at the base raising to 27mm around it's chubby little 5.5ml bubble glass, has a dual bottom adjustable AFC ring, a standard push fit 810 drip tip, and comes with the Super Mesh KA1 X1 Coil @ 0.2ohm (30-90W, Best 60-80W), and as far as included sub-ohm tanks go...it's above average. I'm never really a fan of these things, but I have to admit that this is better than most, the flavours good and the airflow is smooth, and it's also made very well....hard to think of much else to say about it really....(shrugs)

The Specs

Parameters

Aegis X MOD
Kit Size: 90 x 56.1 x 31.3mm
Battery: 2x 18650 Cell (not included)
Input Voltage: 6.2V-8.4V
Output Voltage: 0.1-12V
Output Wattage: 5-200W
Resistance Range: 0.05Ω-3Ω
Display: 2.4 inch OLED screen
Charger: USB 5V 2A
Output mode: Power/VPC/TC/TCR/Bypass
Temperature range: 100℃~315℃ / 200℉~600℉
Thread: 510

Cerberus Subohm Tank
Size: 27 x 46.8mm
Capacity: 5.5ml/2ml
Coil Type: Super Mesh X1 Coil 0.2ohm KA1(30-90W, Best 60-80W)
Thread: 510 thread

It comes with

5.5ml Standard Edition

• 1 x Geekvape Aegis X MOD
  • 1 x Cerberus Sub-ohm Tank 5.5ml(Pre-installed: Super Mesh X1 Coil 0.2ohm, bubble glass 5.5ml)
  • 1 x Extra Super Mesh X1 Coil 0.2ohm
  • 1 x Spare Regular Glass Tube 4ml
  • 1 x USB Cable
  • 1 x Spare Parts Pack
  • 1 x User Manual
2ml TPD Edition

• 1 x Geekvape Aegis X MOD
  • 1 x Cerberus Sub-ohm Tank 2ml(Pre-installed: Super Mesh X1 Coil 0.2ohm, straight glass 2ml)
  • 1 x Extra Super Mesh X1 Coil 0.2ohm
  • 1 x Spare Regular Glass Tube 4ml
  • 1 x USB Cable
  • 1 x Spare Parts Pack
  • 1 x User Manual
3.jpg

Final thoughts

My final thoughts on the Geekvape Aegis X kit would be thus: It's exactly what we asked for, but there is a caveat, for those who bought the previous Aegis model because they happen work in a particularly rugged industry, or are just incredibly clumsy and are sick of their beloved rigs ending up as a pile of scrap on the floor as they drop it for the 30th time that day.......well....yes, the Aegis X is still way more hardy than almost all other regulated devices on the market, but....putting a massive screen on one side of it, protected by a single piece of plastic sheeting, is a bit like a knight going into battle wearing a full suit of armour and forgetting to wear his chest piece. It is by far the weakest part of the device, and I know this, because I removed the screen protector that comes already stuck on the mod just so I could take clear pictures of the screen, but when I came to put the Aegis X in my pocket along with another rig as I walked into the house, the screen acquired quite a big scratch on it....just from that 15 second walk. Whatever the outside screen cover is made of, it's nowhere near good enough to protect the screen in the long run. Remember the material that OFRF used to make those damned near indestructible tanks on the OFRF sub-ohm mesh tank?....Well why the fuck did they not use that same material on this device??.....Dropped the ball on that one I'm afraid Geekvape.

no-no.gif

The being said, it is still the toughest large screened device on the market, and in normal conditions will undoubtedly outlast many other devices, and seeing as I have no intention of using the Aegis X whilst simultaneously taking on a small army, I am indeed a big fan of the screen. The fact that I can see it so clearly ALL THE TIME....is a fucking blessing, it's also very easy to navigate, again...without my glasses.

It's built in the usual Aegis way, it feels incredibly solid and with that half pleather grip and perfect fire button, it is a joy to hold and use.

The only slight issue I seem to have, which may or may not be just a sample issue, is that this particular Aegis seems to be a bit fussy on battery condition, which is by no means a bad thing. If my batts have even the slightest indentation on their tabs then...it won't make a good contact. I haven't taken them apart to investigate but I'm guessing the spring loaded contacts on the mods don’t have as much of a throw as the other Aegis models did. If I use brand new batteries then it's not a problem but...it's there, so it's worth mentioning, I mean I have 2 of these and they both do it - so maybe that's something Geekvape can look into.

13.jpg

As for the Cerberus tank well....yeah it's actually OK, like I said, as far as included sub-ohm tanks go it's one of the better ones so I have nothing to complain about there. Maybe a different choice of coil instead of 2 of the same coils might have been a better choice to cater for different vapers, but the X1 KA1 coil certainly does the job intended. I wouldn't have minded an SS mesh coil to try though.

Steampugs

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
All in all, Geekvape have almost definitely hit a home run yet again. I've always been a huge fan of the Aegis range, and what with my bat-like vision I can't not love this latest rendition. And also, once again, as far as appearance goes it caters for all tastes with its usual array of different colour themes...

17.jpg

Although it has to be said that not many remain in their original colours due to just how easy these things are to customise yourself.

All that's left now....is just how much of your hard earned vape budget are you going to have to part with...

The Price

At the time of writing, Heavengifts have the Aegis Kit on sale for £76.29/$96.50.....but bear in mind that this is still brand new, so expect that to fall over the coming months. I can help a little - if you use discount code APUGS15 at checkout you can trim a little off that, bringing it down to £64.85/$82.02.....which is slightly more palatable. Of course, you can if you wish buy it without the Cerberus tank which will shave around £15/$20 off the price tag, the discount code should work with either, find that deal here..

Geekvape Aegis X Kit

14.jpg

As always the doors over at Steampugs are open 24/7, so feel free to peruse the site, where you will find a whole host of reviews from the Steamteam.

And if you'd like to come and chat to us all in person then hop on over to that little place of the vapeverse we like to call home with our little forum, we promise a warm and drama free welcome, as well as the use of a very clever little e-liquid mixing calculator for all you budding mixologists out there, find us here...

Vaping Community - Forum

Until next time...hopefully....time dependant...

bye.gif

Pugs

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some folks can try to assimilate your reviews, but none come close...... :teehee:

Steampugs

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Very serious! It was hilarious but also very informative. I’ve been looking at getting the aegis x and you sold me
Well.. Thank you again, its comments like that that keep doing this for my fourth year, feels good to know someone really appreciates what you do, and if you do pull the trigger on the Aegis X I'm sure you're gonna love it ;)

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Well.. Thank you again, its comments like that that keep doing this for my fourth year, feels good to know someone really appreciates what you do, and if you do pull the trigger on the Aegis X I'm sure you're gonna love it ;)
I have the solo right now and I like the size of it because it fits good in my girly hands, but my eyes can’t help but keep going to the X. I want it, I need it, idk when I’m gonna get it lol

VU Sponsors