Become a Patron!

Pushing the amp limits

rxmilitia

Member For 4 Years
what’s up guys,

Right now I’m running a regulated raffmod that uses voltage regulation (potentiometer?)

I usually run a 0.35-0.45 setup on it. But today I got some premade coils with my new RTA that are reading about 0.24

I’m running it at 3.75V which should put me at 15.62Amps & 58 Watts

I use married VTC4s, VTC5s and Efest 20A (the kind that say 35A but we all know the reality of that)

I’m thinking this is my safe zone, I’m afraid to push it any higher but I can tell my vape wants a little more Umph.

I don’t plan to run coils this low often, But I wanted to know if I’m playing it safe, Could push a little more out of it, Or I’m pushing too much as it is. I know it’s regulated and protected for the most part but I like to be extra when it comes to these things

Thanks guys

when you say "safe" are you wondering if youre going to degrade the capacity if you go higher or if youre going to catch something on fire? either way I would assume you'd be OK. If youre concerned you can try bumping the voltage up, vaping a bit then feel the batteries. If they arent really heating up then I think youre fine

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Is it the Ranger mod? http://raffmods.com/wp/about-the-ranger
If yes, the specs are saying 80 watts is the "limit" so with a .24 ohms build that would be sqrt(80 × .24) = 4.38 volts output and sqrt(80 / .24) = 18.26 amps output. If we can assume that you change out your batteries before one of them reaches below 3 volts, then if we can assume the board in the Ranger mod has 90% efficiency, with a pair of true 20 amp batteries you could in theory vape on it at 108 watts and still be within the recommended safety limit for those 20 amp batteries... 102 watts if the efficiency of the mod is only 85%. So basically you should be able to go up to that 80 watts "limit" without hurting your batteries.

rxmilitia

Member For 4 Years
I appreciate that info. And yes that is the mod I own. I just wasn’t sure if I was supposed to keep the batteries at like 60% the amp limit or if I could go 80% or so

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The manufacturer of your mod did write─on that page I linked─that they tested it above 80 watts ("overdrive") for a prolonged period of time, but what they didn't specify is how far above 80 watts. I guess it's just their way of telling you your Ranger won't start to suffer if you stay at or below 80 watts, and, as for the longevity of lithium ion rechargeable batteries, if the battery temperature rises above 45°C (113°F), that's when they start aging faster than normal (excepting LiPo batteries, as these are a more temperature-sensitive type of battery).

rxmilitia

Member For 4 Years
The manufacturer of your mod did write─on that page I linked─that they tested it above 80 watts ("overdrive") for a prolonged period of time, but what they didn't specify is how far above 80 watts. I guess it's just their way of telling you your Ranger won't start to suffer if you stay at or below 80 watts, and, as for the longevity of lithium ion rechargeable batteries, if the battery temperature rises above 45°C (113°F), that's when they start aging faster than normal (excepting LiPo batteries, as these are a more temperature-sensitive type of battery).

I found a sweet spot at 17.65A (74Watts)

Thinking about picking up some HD2s

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I found a sweet spot at 17.65A (74Watts)

Thinking about picking up some HD2s
Why would you want to buy the LG HD2? The Sony VTC5A is a much better 25 amp battery than all the other 25 amp 18650 batteries available to us right now.

VU Sponsors