Become a Patron!
First off I have a SMOK Cape Pen 22 Light Edition; Kit comes with:
1x vape pen
1 x cape Pen Mesh 0.15ohm coil (preinstalled)
1 × Cape pen Strip 0.15ohm coil
7 pairs dealing rings
1x USB Cable, Instruction manual and some spare parts.
Pen uses a 5 volt/1A USB charger
SPECIFICATIONS:
Material: stainless steel
weight: 90g
e liquid capacity: 4ml
standby current<200ua
Power range: < 60w
Resistance Range: 0.1ohm -2.5ohm
Thread: 510
Size 26 x 110mm
Battery Capacity: 1650mAv
Input Voltage: 3.3 - 4.2V

QUESTIONS ABOUT USE:
1. There are two coil replacements for this that I have found the most common being a 0.3 ohm (not the coils that came with the pen in original packaging) and then there is the apparent 0.150ohm that the vape pen came with, however it is harder to find the .15 than it is to find the 0.3ohm coils. I am not an experienced Vapor I don't know anything other than ratios when it comes to nicotine content versus PG and VG.
I tried the 0.3 ohm coils in my pen and I did notice that the battery lasted a lot longer than with the .15 coils I have tried also both 70/30 and 80/20 when it comes to vape juices. One question I have is I heard that there is a possibility of getting nickel poisoning when your Vape gets too hot. I want to know for this vape pen what is the best coil to use should I use the .15 that it actually came with or is the more commonly sold 0.3ohm ok? AND what is the best ratio of juice to use in this particular pen? I am asking this so I know what juice to use with what coil. is it 70/30 or 80/20? I don't care about looking cool. This is just my way of getting nicotine without stinking like a cigarette factory. I enjoy vaping but I also want to do it in a fun safe way. I don't care how big my clouds are I don't care about any of that. It says on the vape pen 22 @ 0.30ohm that they are made out of 0.3mm NiCr Material.
I have noticed some heating of the vape pen while charging and I'm just wondering if you guys could give me the best advice on what coil I should use with what juice? The .15ohm.coils burn up really fast and I go through a lot of them. I am a frequent vaper. Maybe I'm using the wrong juice with the wrong coil.
So 1. What coil goes with what ratio of juice
2. Is is safe to use the .0.3ohm in this pen?
Seems weird that I have more access to the .3ohm than the .15 and they are less expensive. .15ohm always has a burnt taste to them as well. I cape at 3 to 6 percent I just put in for a whole leader of 70/30 with 6mg nicotine so that's the juice I'm going to be using what coil do you recommend that I use for that I was really concerned when I read that I could actually get poisoning from the nickel in the 0.3ohm coil. The .15ohm just says coil. It doesn't say it's made out of NiCr material.
Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to spill all details out to make easy for your answers.
Again I will be using long term 70/30 @6mg juice.
Lastly
3. What's the difference in a strip vs mesh coil?
I do not have a way to regulate temperature other than covering one of the air holes. This is just a push pin pen. So when I want a stronger hotter hit I cover the hole a little bit to decrease airflow. Should I not do that? I really want this pen to last.
Thanks so much for your patience and time

jasonali13

Member For 1 Year
Ive read some sites have the .3 coil preinstalled... so the coils should be fine no matter which one you chose to use.

This pen sounds like the pod systems like the nord.
From what ive read the wattage is pretty low so i dont think you ha e to worry about over heating.

Ive recently tried the mesh coils. Not sure what to tuink of it yet.. unless i still need to find the right one. But with the mesh coils its supposed to heqt up more evenly and better. Flavour is supposed to be better in the too.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I don't use factory coils any more, and never have used Smok factory coils, but just as a general statement, you will use less battery power and go through less juice with the 0.3 ohm coil than with the 0.15 ohm one. Makes sense to me that the 0.3 ohm coils might last a little longer, but that isn't as simple a determination because a lot of factors are involved.

Most coils are just made with a filler material (cotton, rayon, silica) and coiled wire. Mesh coils are made of wire mesh with a filler material.

If you are going to stick with the 0.3 ohm coils, you can use 30/70 juice. It will wick a little easier and have a little more flavor. Seems like most people who vape at very low ohms (0.2 or lower) like "max VG" which is 20/80 or more. I use 35/65 and my coils are generally between 0.3 and 0.5 ohms.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can give you more specifics on the hardware you have. Good luck on your vaping journey!

ETA: Haven't heard the bit about nickel poisoning, but NiCr (normally referred to as n80 or n90) is nichrome, not straight nickel. Nickel vaping wire is denoted as ni200.

People who have allergy to nickel should not use n80, n90, or ni200. Beyond that, I've been using nichrome wire all day long every day for over six months and have no ill effects from it at all. There are a lot of folks here who build their own coils who use nichrome.

That "warning" sounds like more baseless vaping propaganda. Never heard of it in my life.

Last edited:

Coval51

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Just did my research, you're fine running either coil. This pen is unregulated but does have current limiting safety protection so you're limited to no more than about 60 watts at the most that it will give you regardless of what the coil resistance is. Because the .3 ohm coils will be drawing less amperage from the battery, yes, you will get better battery life from the .3 ohm than the .15 ohm coils. As for covering an airflow slot to get the warmth of the vape up there, sure, go right ahead. As long as you have enough airflow to produce adequate vapor and keep the coil cool enough that it doesn't burn the cotton wicking. Feel free to PM me, I'll help you out any way I can.

Coval51

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
RackStar...hmm...you don't work at RackSpace do you???

VU Sponsors