Become a Patron!

Quad coil ramp up time

Klone Kid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What would the ramp up time be like with a kanthal .3ohm 24awg quad coil and how would it perform?

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Although surface area is quite high at 268.56 mm², the "ramp-up", time-to-temperature, or "heat capacity" is a semi-slow 113.29 mJ/K per coil.
Performance will depend on a variety of factors... the first being wattage applied. You need, at minimum, about 150 watts, with 175 or more preferred to obtain a reasonably warm "heat flux"... which is the radiant or build operating temperature.
Atomizer type, air flow (AFC) and juice blend percentage also have an effect on performance.

Click the hyperlink sigline below titled "Steam Engine advanced user guide" as well as the SE program itself... you can learn all about critical elements like surface area, heat flux and heat capacity... all of which are user tuneable elements for the optimization of your build.

Klone Kid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok thanks mate I'll check it out, I can't afford that much power at the moment so I'll have to hold off, I'd just like to add, it seems your avatar pic is appropriate. :)

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Steam engine is great for working this stuff out.

Quads with thicker wire generally do not do well at the wattage they put out at standard voltage, imo. They usually need a little push. That's why you'll sometimes hear people say that quads are pointless on mechs. Quads need more power than they pull naturally.

I can tell you from experience that quad 24's, even at .18, have a noticeable ramp-up on my hybrid. I have to go parallel to make that build work for me. Once they heat up a little bit, they're great. Lots of warm vapor and great flavor. They retain a lot of heat and the surface area is pretty massive. It just takes a lot of power to get them there at a reasonable time.

I'm thinking that a dual 24 at .3 would probably outperform a quad greatly. The surface area is still high and they will get up there in temperature fairly quickly. A quad 28 would be more suitable if you're really itching to do a snappy quad at that resistance, though the overall temperature will be cooler.

What I'm really curious about, though, is how you were planning to fit a .3 quad 24g into your atty. That's like 9 wraps for each coil, if you wrap them to a 1/8" ID.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors