Become a Patron!

Quantity of spools for practice

Hi there,

Guys i want to start practicing coil building. So, my question is about the quantity and gauges of spools for kanthal, ribbons, Ni80, Stainless steel.

Should i go for 30ft each or 100ft each?

Do i need all gauges?

This is the start and also for the wire source I found that KP is mostly preferred ones. Though it is expensive.

Any tip is welcomed.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If your after a good vape... I would start with those most likely to give that....

If it's about the challenge of doing a build get some thick wire some thinner wire and some really thin wire material not important.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I prefer ordering from LightningVapes or getting TEMCo from Ebay. I ordered KP wire eons ago when I first started and just didn't enjoy it.

If you use VW more than TC, get at least 100ft spools of Kanthal/Ni80.
If you use TC more than VW, then get at least 100ft spools of SS316L
(Check the price differences, it can be cheaper to buy 100ft than 2 spools of 30/50ft)

I'd always recommend 28awg foremost, then 26awg. 30awg is also useful in tight spaces, but not really for wrapping claptons.

If you are planning to make some claptons or fused-claptons or Flaptons, (latter needs ribbon), then you want corresponding spools of at least 34awg, and maybe even 38awg to wrap them - and you want to think of at least 200ft spools, rather than 100'. (Others here are vastly more experienced in making complex and hybrid coils than I).

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have my core wire in 250-500 ft spools and my wrapping wire is in 1000-2000 ft spools.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors