misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
According to the MSDS for quartz wool repeated exposure can, "produce lung injury" and, "it may contain microcrystals of quartz and could be fibrogenic. Prolonged excessive in halation exposure to the condensed vapors reportedly can produce transient pulmonary lesions which are reversible upon cessation of exposure". That being said I wouldn't risk it.

Source

Edit: added source

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I would not risk it.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's used for insulation? I wouldn't vape that stuff!

There are so many tried and true products on the market at the moment that are (relatively) safe for vaping :p

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Any breakthrough in wicking material will be deemed dangerous by many, at first. Im not saying to try everything that looks like cotton, but there is certainly something better out there, that we just dont know about yet. Checking MSDS specs on new materials is an absolute must.

TVG

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ah well that settles it for this. I agree with the above, while we may have some great stuff regarding wicking quality with rayon and KGD, I wouldnt mind having something of that caliber, but heat resistant. I'm not sure why anyone wouldnt want that other than stubborn habit. Well the fact that we can get PURE cellulose with rayon is already a great thing.

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
I've use quartz wool for over 6 months and its works great

Although you are free to do as you like I would suggest reconsidering using it because of the known health issues associated with it's inhalation.

I was thinking about sintered quartz instead. I've known about the risk(we all used to smoke cigs knowing that risk) but nothing else come close to performance. And I haven't had any luck with with ceramic.

I'm not saying this is definitely safe, but everyone posting MSDS from Quartz wool packed as insulation doesn't understand what they are talking about.

Allow me to clarify:

MSDS must be written to describe the hazards of the associated material in the form manufactured and under conditions reasonably likely to occurs for its intended use.

Note the MSDS warning state nothing of the risk of the wool itself but of inhalation of Quartz dust that may be present. This could be solved through a simple washing process when the wool is received. The problems are all listed as associated with chronic exposure. But are not incongruous with the same types of health warning for the inhalation of any small solid particles.

For example here's a CDC article covering the effects of both short term and Long term exposure to cotton dust. They range from bronchitis and acute byssinosis for short term exposure and "permanent disabling breathing difficulties that include chronic bronchitis with emphysema"

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0152.pdf

That sure sounds worse than the vague statements of that msds..."but everyone uses cotton to vape it is totally safe!?!?" of course it is...Because your vaping with fibrous cotton strands not dust. Cotton that has been washed thoroughly and has little to no dust...Then you wetting it with juice which would make it very hard to aerosolize. The same goes for quartz wool.

That being said...I would purchase any quartz wool intended for insulation use. For all you know they may have added a chemical flame retardant or something. You could however source some Pure glass wool intended for laboratory use, with molecular sieves for example...It would be clean and dust free to prevent sample contamination.

That is my two cents

Quartz wool that I used was from a lab company. High purity. Quartz is pure silica SIO2. Glass has other stuff to lower the melting point. Quartz has more thermal shock resistance and a higher melting point. And lung damage from what I found so far was its based on particles size . So clean it after you wick it

VU Sponsors