Become a Patron!

Query regarding eleaf Istick 100W

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My husband recently bought an eleaf I stick 100W. He insists I get one as well. Being sort of a shrewd buyer, I wish to hear from anyone that has used one, as per the pros and cons of that device. He paid far too much, at a vape store. I can get one much cheaper online. I am wary, as I keep hearing bad things regarding any device that costs under $200.00US.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My husband recently bought an eleaf I stick 100W. He insists I get one as well. Being sort of a shrewd buyer, I wish to hear from anyone that has used one, as per the pros and cons of that device. He paid far too much, at a vape store. I can get one much cheaper online. I am wary, as I keep hearing bad things regarding any device that costs under $200.00US.

I do not have the 100, but I do have my first regular mod - the iStick 50 - and it still works just fine

Bought it 2015 when they first came out - it has been dropped numerous times, survived tons of juice spill in, on and around it while I learned to build

While they are not fancy, if you are a wattage vaper I swear by Isticks - and yes, I have way more expensive, higher tech, more modern devices

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The istick 100w, (with a j-shaped door), is strictly wattage. Nice device, but it does have a little button-rattle, iirc. I just finally boxed mine up to PIF soon. The istick TC100W (which has doors on left and right), was a better device, imo, and I have just boxed that one to PIF as well.

I used that tc100w all the time for over a year, (wore all the paint off the bottom ;-). I ordered both of mine online, and each was under $40, iirc. The RX2/3, (bought the same time as the TC100W), died in several weeks. Istick just kept plugging along. The Pico I had before was retired for the TC100W. They can be had for under $40 and work fine.

That said, I've tried TC and it's great for a newbie - and sorta' fun to test things - but I live in VW mode.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
my tc100 has no paint left on it. it was my work mod for around a year, then i gave it to my room mate for a starter setup and she still has it a year later. its outlasted a pretty long list of other mods purchased/used/dead in that same time, and has been in daily use pretty much the whole two years. my istick30w that i first started vaping with still works too (still using it regularly).

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another vote for the TC100. I have both, but really like the TC100. Further the TC 100 can be upgraded to 120 watts, and can run at 75 Watts with one battery installed. If you're a low wattage vaper, use one battery, and store a bottle of juice :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

randallpiz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have no idea where you heard you need to pay $200+ for a good vape.
Everything I own, from Pico to cloupor to regular 20 & 30w isticks, still work to this day.
The cloupor was bought probably 4-5 years ago.
The difference between a $25 Pico & a $200+ mod isn't the difference between a Ford Pinto & a Ferrari...
It's more like the difference between a 10 speed bike & a 10 speed bike with 1 gear out.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm, you know.. that $200 figure makes me think someone is pushing a "custom" or "authentic", and maybe "DNA rules all" or "Must have a YiHi". I've never spent a dime on a YiHi or Dna, and I won't run doze so the Escribe stuff is not going to happen. (I have no idea why all of these 'uploaders' need to be doze-only, or why they are closed-source).

My main issue with the Pico was those damned buttons on the bottom - they don't like moisture/puddles/coffee-rings, etc.. (And something about the USB connector wiggling and affecting them as well).

No, you should be able to find a decent mod for under $40 with a little shopping - and certainly a GOOD mod for more like $70. Another point I think is a good rule is: just avoid - or refuse to pay more - for these "kits" that include an atomizer... Almost invariably the tank isn't worth the price difference.

I'll also mention: I simply don't buy from B&M. The price differences are huge, and the staff there are usually depressing. You can do better checking ebay+within_USA+miles+Buy_Only or simply using someone like FT, Gearbest.. (THere are other firms now, but I have no experience with them - others can list these and suggest delivery periods/shipping).

3/6/2018: OK, I broke down and bought a pair of used VT133 - I found that there is a "Beta" Escribe for linux, and damned if it didn't install and appears to work. (Won't know more until DNA in hand). Total investment? About what the Gbox MSRP.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How do the prices compare between eBay and other companies such as Mt Baker vapes website? I haven't had an eBay account since they closed mine without notice just after my 15th anniversary with them.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From what I see, prices seem tolerable - their selection is lower than ebay. I don't see a tc100w there at all, so.. Not sure why'd you bother.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
they have the tc100 at ft for ~$30. the invoke is another option at seems pretty good so far. i havnt put mine through the same shit that my tc100 has been through, but it seems good (already took a drop to concrete with no damage) so far. also ~$30-40, and its incredibly small for a dual 18650 mod.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That does look rather nice, but.. I think I'd trust in the TC100w with dual covers with quad magnets. Unless you really, really want 200w of power. Often overlooked is: the Istick 100w and TC100w can also function with one cell. Parallel cells.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
How do the prices compare between eBay and other companies
I've bought a lot, and I do mean a lot, in the last 2 months and only 1 item was purchased from Ebay, a Coil Master Mini PBag. And I always shop around quite a bit before buying.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I did see fuggin has listed an eleaf I stick pico dual 200W for a pretty sweet price. I just may be ordering one when I get paid again. I just had to replace the battery in my van.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have the 100 TC. Battery life is exceptionally good for a dual 18650, may be wired in parallel. Form factor is very good but not wide enough for 25mm atty without overhang. Fire bar was a little stiff and hit or miss when new, but ok once broken in. Easy locking switch.

If you can find one for $30 it's a no brainer for mid wattage vaping.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If the 200W pico is still available for $35 (with batteries) on Friday, that baby will be mine. I've seen a lot of raves regarding the picos.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got the istick tc100w. It's ok, temp control isn't too bad. It's compatible with the arctic fox firmware which improves customization options for temp control. The first one died just outside of warranty by a day or two. I got another one and it still works but I only used it for a few months.

There's a design flaw in my opinion, the fire bar pushes on a button internally. That button is part of a small pcb board that mounts to the main circuit board but the only thing holding it on are 4 solder points that make the electrical connections and they're all on one edge. As a little play in the fire bar develops it starts to apply pressure at a slight angle to those solder points. It wiggles back and forth until one of the solder points break and then it no longer works.

For many newer atomizers it's a pretty skinny mod. The firing bar is comfortable to use, I like the shape. It's only 23mm wide though so you're pretty much limited to 22mm and under atomizers. 24mm and wider will have overhang. I like that it can work on a single battery or two (single battery only up to 60w), up to 120w with firmware update and both batteries.

Given the price and what's out now I think there are better options. The istick was fine when it came out but it's been a couple years. Things improve pretty quickly in the tech field. I wouldn't say any mod under $200 (if talking u.s. dollars) is a waste of time, plenty of good mods under $100. The vaporesso switcher and revenger mods are under $50. Just some other options.

https://www.vaporl.com/vaporesso-transformer-220w-tc-box-mod.html

The tesla wye is $35 at breazy.
https://breazy.com/products/wye-200w-box-mod-tesla

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've got the istick tc100w. It's ok, temp control isn't too bad. It's compatible with the arctic fox firmware which improves customization options for temp control. The first one died just outside of warranty by a day or two. I got another one and it still works but I only used it for a few months.

There's a design flaw in my opinion, the fire bar pushes on a button internally. That button is part of a small pcb board that mounts to the main circuit board but the only thing holding it on are 4 solder points that make the electrical connections and they're all on one edge. As a little play in the fire bar develops it starts to apply pressure at a slight angle to those solder points. It wiggles back and forth until one of the solder points break and then it no longer works.

For many newer atomizers it's a pretty skinny mod. The firing bar is comfortable to use, I like the shape. It's only 23mm wide though so you're pretty much limited to 22mm and under atomizers. 24mm and wider will have overhang. I like that it can work on a single battery or two (single battery only up to 60w), up to 120w with firmware update and both batteries.

Given the price and what's out now I think there are better options. The istick was fine when it came out but it's been a couple years. Things improve pretty quickly in the tech field. I wouldn't say any mod under $200 (if talking u.s. dollars) is a waste of time, plenty of good mods under $100. The vaporesso switcher and revenger mods are under $50. Just some other options.

Thank you for your reply and input. However, the Tesla is not available, and the vaporesso has a proprietary coil you cannot rebuild. When that vaporesso is no longer manufactured, I'm afraid the coils won't be either, and then the whole mod goes to the trash.

Sent from my NS-P10A7100 using Tapatalk

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you for your reply and input. However, the Tesla is not available, and the vaporesso has a proprietary coil you cannot rebuild. When that vaporesso is no longer manufactured, I'm afraid the coils won't be either, and then the whole mod goes to the trash.

The tank on the Switcher is removable... standard 510 connection. The coils in the NRG tank are compatible with Smok Baby Beast coils. The Switcher is a very nice option.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

And, the Wye is available here: https://www.ecig.com/tesla-wye-200w-box-mod.html

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Having made those last two replies, I will add that I do not particularly like the body on either option. I've never used the Wye, love Vaporesso's boards, though. The body, with the side mounted control surfaces, bother me. I carry my mods in shirt or jacket pocket, and it's too easy to have something unintentionally adjusted.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I thought the link I gave was to the mod only on the switcher or the revenger. I'm not big on any 'kits' personally simply because I don't use subohm tanks with factory coils. The mods are fine by themselves, like most other mods they're 510 and take any basic atomizer. Whether a subohm tank like a fireluke, cleito, baby beast, rta's, rdta's, rda's etc. I use rta's and rda's on mine. The revenger supports up to 27mm I believe and the switcher I think supports 30mm atomizers.

Thanks for the link @shawn.hoefer , when I checked both said in stock. Can't keep up with these sites sometimes the way they bounce in and out of stock. You bring up a good point but it takes a bit of force to depress the buttons on the revenger (the regular, not the x. Not sure how the touchscreen would play out). I don't usually put mine in pockets though outside of coat pockets. I'd think the same could be said for most mods with buttons unless they're really slim almost recessed.

Was just tossing out ideas for similarly priced stuff that might be a better option to the somewhat dated istick. That and knowing the way the internals of the button are assembled, no telling how long one would last until it fails. If they had simply secured the smaller fire button pcb to the main board I think they'd be a lot more solid. I don't know of any way to prevent a bit of play developing in the istick's fire bar, eventually it begin to wiggle ever so slightly side to side. When it does it exerts angled pressure on that smaller board and starts working on those solder points. Bend them back and forth enough and it's like bending a paperclip or twist tie back and forth. Sooner or later it snaps.

VU Sponsors