Become a Patron!

Question About Accuracy Of Syringe's??

JTR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This might be a silly question, but when I measure my flavorings/VG/PG/Nic, lets say Im doing .3ML nic, how do I account for the liquid inside the actual needle itself and the cap connecting to the syringe? Seems to me that the markers on the syringe doesn't actually measure the the liquid inside the needle and cap...am I tripping?

Using the luer lock style syringes from Wizard Labs.

JTR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yup, I dont double pump the syringe. Once I get the desired measurement from the syringe number marker, I pump it all out.

What I mean is that when I am filling up; for example the measurement .3ML wouldn't be accurate because though the liquid goes up to .3ML on the syringe number marker, isn't it neglecting to add the liquid in the "needle" itself? And to add to that confusion, Im thinking a 14gauge needle would hold more liquid than a 18gauge needle? Taking that into consideration, .3ML wouldn't really be .3ML, but actually a little bit higher.

Am I making sense or totally not getting it? lol

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So maybe go a little past 3ml..push it down to 3ml and perhaps it will be correct.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Its not that much more inside the needle..a drop or 2 if that...the difference in nic or flavoring really wouldnt be that noticeable.

JTR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think your referring to low/high dead space. I don't use a needle to draw because of this. Sharing the link for OP question. You'll have to make your own determination based on your findings.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDwQFjAEahUKEwjlxbvDiLLHAhWEVpIKHemmAEE&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_dead_space_syringe&ei=DdnSVaWLAYStyQTpzYKIBA&usg=AFQjCNEt4gnyvvbVDyZKHHM24gOzQ19qqg&bvm=bv.99804247,d.aWw

Thank you Artemis, you get it, this is exactly what I was referring to. I couldn't find any other mentions about this topic on the forum.

JTR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No, the point is (no pun intended) the needle itself is not included. When you fill the syringe, it isn't counted, so when you plunge the syringe, the needle remains full... but you've dispensed the measured amount.

Also... 0.3 ml? For what, a 5ml bottle? Too much work... make up 30ml or larger bottles of your PG/VG and nic. Then put your flavor in the small bottle and top off with the pre-mixed.

Thank you Jim, yes I was talking about a 5ml mix, but what you say makes perfect sense I will start making 30ML of the pg/vg/nic mix.

And as for the syringe, I see what you're saying.

I just started to DIY a few days ago, so much to learn...

JTR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Another observation Ive made is that when using the e-liquid-recipes.com calculator, the amount of drops doesn't really match to the corresponding ml's. I always end up dispensing more drops than what the calculator says when I go strictly by the ml's.

So I can only guess that maybe the size of the needle itself (the gauge size) will produce larger/smaller droplets depending on the gauge? If thats the case, why doesn't the calculator say what type of gauge needle should be used to go along with it's number of drops count?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I like to think that if the syringes are accurate enough for a doctor to measure out medicin before sticking the needle in my rump, it is good enough for mixing.:eek:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
20 drops per ML is based on a dropper bottle of said diameter for the hole at the top..Not all bottles are created equal...get yourself a graduated cylinder and fill it with 1ml using whatever bottle you are using and make adjustments to the number of drops to equal said amount with the bottles you use..Problem solved.

But since we are being highly technical here..what about the fluid that sticks inside the syringe?...oh no, its not going to be perfect still...oh well..life goes on.

VU Sponsors