Become a Patron!

Question about diy

NickDalton

Member For 4 Years
Okay let's use our imagination for a second here. Let say we've got 120 mls of custard flavoring and you dump it all in a beaker to make some juice. How much PG, VG and nicotine to make up the whole 120 mls of flavoring and how much juice would you have after you've made it? We're taking about a 3 mg bottle of juice by the way. Thank you!
-Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The correct amount of flavoring depends on both the flavoring itself (what brand and which flavoring exactly) and your personal preference. Once you've figured out the correct percentage for the flavoring, you can then calculate the amount of juice you're going to be making. For example, 12 percent flavoring will turn 120ml of flavoring into 1000ml of juice. For another example, nicotine at 36mg/ml will turn 83.3ml of nicotine into 1000ml of (3mg/ml) juice so still assuming 12 percent flavoring you would be needing 1000ml minus 120ml minus 83.3ml equals 796.7ml of VG/PG base, and, if both the flavoring and the nicotine are PG, then if you add pure VG instead of adding some VG/PG mixture, the juice will be 80/20. (That's 80 percent VG, 20 percent PG.)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i dont think you understand some things
flavorings do not have a preset amount to use
everyone's tastes are different
every brand of flavoring is different

sure there are recommended percentage ranges to use like 5-7% or 2-3% etc thats still a range
some companies flavors are much more concentrated then others
Flavour art and Real Flavors are very concentrated needing usually 1-4% of flavoring in the final mix
while Capella being less concentrated needs 5-10% of a flavor in the final mix

Now even going with all that
if you were to pick an exact brand and ask your question again
your going to get various responses and answers because
I may like that flavor and brand at 4%
someone else likes it at 6%
some oddball is going to say 1%
another oddball is going to say 10%
another person will say 5%

and 20 more people are going to give you recipes that require 2-5 other flavors to make that one flavor you asked about taste better

If your just trying to figure out how this all works out and saves you money
heres the short short version
commercial juices cost the makers about 1 -3 cents per ml to produce LITERALLY NO JOKING
how do I know this
Because mine and many other people who speak on this on this forum all can make great juice for that cost and we arent even buying in the bug bulk a commercial juice maker is.

Your initial investment can be a good bit because you are trying to figure out which flavors and what brand to get
then you have to figure out percentages

but once you have a recipe you like you can usually buy in enough bulk to make your juice for pennies a mL

FOR example one of my juices uses 1 flavor and 1 flavor only form Real Flavors
that costs $18ish for 4oz
my nic costs $60 a liter for 100mg/ml
my VG I buy by the gallon for about $25
I already did all this math somewhere before and im not going to do it all again

but 4oz of flavoring at the 3% i use it at is 133.3333 oz of juice or 4 liters or 4000ml
now just trust me when I say the liter of nic will make more then 4 liters of juice and the gallon of vg is just about the right amount to make 4 liters of juice so add that all up 18+60+25=103
divide that by 4000 ml
and my cost is 2.5 cents a ml
and I have enoiugh nic left over to make about 12 more liters of juice at 6mg/ml

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

sure there are recommended percentage ranges to use like 5-7% or 2-3% etc thats still a range
Flavour art and Real Flavors are very concentrated needing usually 1-4% of flavoring in the final mix

and 20 more people are going to give you recipes that require 2-5 other flavors to make that one flavor you asked about taste better

commercial juices cost the makers about 1 -3 cents per ml to produce LITERALLY NO JOKING
how do I know this
Because mine and many other people who speak on this on this forum all can make great juice for that cost and we arent even buying in the bug bulk a commercial juice maker is.

Your initial investment can be a good bit because you are trying to figure out which flavors and what brand to get

but once you have a recipe you like you can usually buy in enough bulk to make your juice for pennies a mL

I already did all this math somewhere before and im not going to do it all again

but 4oz of flavoring at the 3% i use it at is 133.3333 oz of juice or 4 liters or 4000ml
now just trust me when I say the liter of nic will make more then 4 liters of juice and the gallon of vg is just about the right amount to make 4 liters of juice so add that all up 18+60+25=103
divide that by 4000 ml
and I have enoiugh nic left over to make about 12 more liters of juice at 6mg/ml
I love that you said you have done all this math before & are not going to do it again & then proceed to do it again. Lol! But, yeah, I second all of this. I have put a good deal of cash into my initial supplies & buying little bottles of flavor to discover my likes and dislikes, but I have discovered enough likes now to buy some things in bulk & then I throw in a small bottle or 2 of new flavors to try. Getting to this point has really reduced the cost of my new favorite hobby! & my juice is now better than ANY juice I ever bought from a vendor.

My best advice is ask lots of questions & listen to the DIY veterans here.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

how do I know this

divide that by 4000 ml
Yup. This right here. All of it.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
try not to go over 5 percent on each flavor. Start low and go up if you need more flavs. Also just make a 15 ml's of juice before you start making 30 ml's and up. That way you won't waste anything. I usually smell the juice, If its strong I use around 2---3 percent. If its weak I use 4-6 percent. I also add sweetener to all my juice after I taste it if it needs it . Hope I made sense and could help a smidge.

VU Sponsors