Become a Patron!

Question about ohm resistance and batteries

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have an eleaf Pico mod and have ordered a mad hatter RDA. My battery is a single Samsung 25r 18650. The coils that came with the rda have a total resistance of .2 when installed.

I am using the pico in wattage mode. I want to know if this is safe given that I am a novice. I used a amp draw calculator to figure out that .2 ohms at 30w gives me a 12.24A draw at 2.45V. At this wattage the vape is cool and takes a while to heat up there is some "ramp up time".

Is this safe or good for my batteries? they are rated to 25A right? as long as I stay under that am I ok?

I assume this will also discharge my battery faster being at 12.4amp or would it not matter since the voltage is lower?

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I have an eleaf Pico mod and have ordered a mad hatter RDA. My battery is a single Samsung 25r 18650. The coils that came with the rda have a total resistance of .2 when installed.

I am using the pico in wattage mode. I want to know if this is safe given that I am a novice. I used a amp draw calculator to figure out that .2 ohms at 30w gives me a 12.24A draw at 2.45V. At this wattage the vape is cool and takes a while to heat up there is some "ramp up time".

Is this safe or good for my batteries? they are rated to 25A right? as long as I stay under that am I ok?

I assume this will also discharge my battery faster being at 12.4amp or would it not matter since the voltage is lower?
the 25R is a 20 amp battery. regulated mods don't use ohms law to calculate the amp draw from a battery since it uses a DC-DC converter.
the correct formula for amp draw is
P(watts)/V(nominal voltage aka 3.7 for single battery) = I (amps)

Your mod does 75 watts IIRC? so 75/3.7= 20.2 so you are easily safe to use the full 75 watts at any resistance.

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
the 25R is a 20 amp battery. regulated mods don't use ohms law to calculate the amp draw from a battery since it uses a DC-DC converter.
the correct formula for amp draw is
P(watts)/V(nominal voltage aka 3.7 for single battery) = I (amps)

Your mod does 75 watts IIRC? so 75/3.7= 20.2 so you are easily safe to use the full 75 watts at any resistance.

I am a little conufused about the dc to dc mode you are talking about but if you say its safe I will take your word for it. Also i I am correct this applies to wattage mode. In bypass mode it would be a different story correct? Not that I would run it that way. I just want to be clear.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I am a little conufused about the dc to dc mode you are talking about but if you say its safe I will take your word for it. Also i I am correct this applies to wattage mode. In bypass mode it would be a different story correct? Not that I would run it that way. I just want to be clear.
it's not a DC-DC mode, its taht regulated mods use a DC-DC convertor so the batteries don't directly power the coils.
the short answer is a 20 amp battery (like you have with the samsung 25R) is safe up to 75 watts in a regulated device
Bypass mode (after looking it up) i wouldn't bother with. it bypasses the DC-DC convertor which then means the batteries do power the coils and you lose the protection of the chip. it basically makes it an unregulated mod. In that mode you would use ohms law to determine a safe value which means the lowest build you should use in bypass mode is a .21.

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sorry if I am being stupid about this but how about my 1 ohm RDA build on the velocity. When I crank up the watts the output voltage goes as high as 8.5 volts per the display. I notice at 26 watts I get a cool long vape with very mild flavor. What should I be at in terms of wattage or output voltage on a regulated mod for a 1 ohm build.

I also just purchased a
18650 LG 18650HB6 1500mAh High Discharge the white/cream color ones. I hear it can put out 30A. Will this be a better battery for me when using those 1 or 1.5 amp builds on a single 18650?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Sorry if I am being stupid about this but how about my 1 ohm RDA build on the velocity. When I crank up the watts the output voltage goes as high as 8.5 volts per the display. I notice at 26 watts I get a cool long vape with very mild flavor. What should I be at in terms of wattage or output voltage on a regulated mod for a 1 ohm build.

I also just purchased a
18650 LG 18650HB6 1500mAh High Discharge the white/cream color ones. I hear it can put out 30A. Will this be a better battery for me when using those 1 or 1.5 amp builds on a single 18650?
with a regulated mod in short the answer is a 20 amp battery (like a Samsung 30q) will handle up to 75 watts regardless of resistance. getting a higher amp battery like the HB6 is wasted since the run time on them is so low. those batteries are more for mech and unregulated users. At the resistance you vape at with 26 watts you are only pulling 7 amps in a single battery device.

With regards to your build there are a few reasons why you are getting mild flavor
1) resistance isn't important with regulated mods. surface area is. you need thicker wire to use more watts and get more vapor
2) the velocity has a lot of air flow. a 1 or 1.5 ohm build in it isn't going to chuck enough vapor to compensate for the air flow and you will a very weak flavor. You need something with a smaller chamber with that build.
as far as wattage goes, it depends on your vape you like. There isn't really a wrong answer but for you i'd say start at 10 watts and work your way up until you get what you want

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
with a regulated mod in short the answer is a 20 amp battery (like a Samsung 30q) will handle up to 75 watts regardless of resistance. getting a higher amp battery like the HB6 is wasted since the run time on them is so low. those batteries are more for mech and unregulated users. At the resistance you vape at with 26 watts you are only pulling 7 amps in a single battery device.

With regards to your build there are a few reasons why you are getting mild flavor
1) resistance isn't important with regulated mods. surface area is. you need thicker wire to use more watts and get more vapor
2) the velocity has a lot of air flow. a 1 or 1.5 ohm build in it isn't going to chuck enough vapor to compensate for the air flow and you will a very weak flavor. You need something with a smaller chamber with that build.
as far as wattage goes, it depends on your vape you like. There isn't really a wrong answer but for you i'd say start at 10 watts and work your way up until you get what you want
Thank you for your prompt reply. I went ahead and already ordered before I posted. No problem I can use it as a second battery for an additional 1500 mah (even though I dont need that Samsung 25r seems to do ok for my needs). So this battery is a serious overkill and wasted in terms of max amp capability in this device. No big there problem there either as it was pretty cheap. Plus once I understand more and go into unregulated mods I can always use it on one of those pen style mech mods right? Plus an overkill in what amp that battery produces gives me a an illogical sense of safty. If I understand it right that is because the pico should keep it safe by regulating voltage.

Here is a thought the pico does run in unregulated (mech) mode. Would it be a good battery to throw in to try this mode of vaping?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thank you for your prompt reply. I went ahead and already ordered before I posted. No problem I can use it as a second battery for an additional 1500 mah (even though I dont need that Samsung 25r seems to do ok for my needs). So this battery is a serious overkill and wasted in terms of max amp capability in this device. No big there problem there either as it was pretty cheap. Plus once I understand more and go into unregulated mods I can always use it on one of those pen style mech mods right? Plus an overkill in what amp that battery produces gives me a an illogical sense of safty. If I understand it right that is because the pico should keep it safe by regulating voltage.

Here is a thought the pico does run in unregulated (mech) mode. Would it be a good battery to throw in to try this mode of vaping?
if you wanted to. but when you go into bypass mode the calculations change and then ohms law applies. meaning the lowest you would build on it with the HB6 is .14 and with the 25R is .21

Personally I say don't bother with it. use it regulated and after you feel comfortable with battery safety and ohms law you could look into getting a mech. they make good batteries for mechs and unregulated mods

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
if you wanted to. but when you go into bypass mode the calculations change and then ohms law applies. meaning the lowest you would build on it with the HB6 is .14 and with the 25R is .21

Personally I say don't bother with it. use it regulated and after you feel comfortable with battery safety and ohms law you could look into getting a mech. they make good batteries for mechs and unregulated mods
Thank you very much it is a journey learning all this. I absolutely want to continue it and am glad I can go about that safely with your help and this forum.

VU Sponsors