Become a Patron!

Question about Regulated Mod's and battery continuous discharge rate.

Ali Moorad

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Heya Guys! Im new here .

So im using an Alien 220W with a Tsunami 24 RDA with a dual coil set up using 24g kanthal coming up to approx 0.25 ohms...

The batteries i have are 2 LG BATTERIES (the ones that have a continuous discharge rate of 20A) but this post/question could relate to any battery i guess. Now, the Smok alien is a series mod which is why it can go upto 220W (as far as my understanding goes, batteries in paralled double the continuous discharge rate capacity but not the voltage...however, batteries in series in double the voltage but the continuous discharge rate remains the same which would be 20A in my case).

What i want to know is how/why does the Alien allow you to go to 220W when you have a 0.25 build? When i go up to 80 watts on my build im already hitting a continuous discharge rate of 19 A.... But i have tried firing, for less than half a sec, at 220 and it let me...and this kinda confused me...

Have i understood this incorrectly? Does the continuous discharge rate work differently on a regulated mod? If yes how so?

Ive been reading up on various topics over here and you guys are a helpfull bunch! Id love to hear your thoughts on this.

Peeeace!

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wattage / # of cells / voltage at cutoff / efficiency(%)
This is (simply) how to figure amp draw on a regulated mod. Ohms law applies to the atty side but not to what the chip is doing on the battery side. The mod should keep you from stressing the batteries too much and will scale back power if need be.

Not all mods will fire at max watts at all resistances. Personalty I don't like to go over 150 watts on two 18650s but people do it.

A short over draw wont hurt but I'd suggest 30 amp batteries if you plan on using that high a wattage. Batteries from Sony LG or Samsung are true ratings not re-wrap bull.

Using the above formula 220w draws 34-35 amps. Assuming 90% efficiency from the mod.

EDIT: This is a good read http://vapingunderground.com/threads/regulated-mods-batteries-resistance-explained.314459/

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With a regulated mod, you do not use Ohms law to calculate amp load on your batteries. Think of the mod as having two different circuits, it makes it easier. One is the input, which is the amp load on your batteries, and one is the output, which is what hits your atomiser. Ohms law applies to the output stage.

For the input stage, it is Watts divided by INPUT voltage, and the mods efficiency. Resistance does not matter, 0.1 or 1 Ohm at the same power setting will be drawing the same from your batteries.

You really only want to go up to about 120W max with 20A batteries on a dual 18650 regulated mod to stay on the safer side of things. 220W is overdrawing even 30A cells at cut off voltage.

EDIT: For example, at 80W you are only drawing 10.18A at nominal voltage, which is middle of the road. This is before efficiency, but very safe.

Ali Moorad

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wattage / # of cells / voltage at cutoff / efficiency(%)
This is (simply) how to figure amp draw on a regulated mod. Ohms law applies to the atty side but not to what the chip is doing on the battery side. The mod should keep you from stressing the batteries too much and will scale back power if need be.

Not all mods will fire at max watts at all resistances. Personalty I don't like to go over 150 watts on two 18650s but people do it.

A short over draw wont hurt but I'd suggest 30 amp batteries if you plan on using that high a wattage. Batteries from Sony LG or Samsung are true ratings not re-wrap bull.

Using the above formula 220w draws 34-35 amps. Assuming 90% efficiency from the mod.

EDIT: This is a good read http://vapingunderground.com/threads/regulated-mods-batteries-resistance-explained.314459/

Thanks Angry! I sure will check out the link! Just to make things clear... i dont plan on going all the way upto 220W ever! haha. I think it would just be way too hot and burn my cotton instantly.. i vape between 50 80 watts depending on my builds. But it was interesting to know that the amps being drawn on a regulated mod are calculated differently than on a mech mod... honestly, its still a little hard to wrap my head around it hahaha!. Another thing that is confusing is that the Smok Alien does have a "Continuois Discharge Rate Reading " on the display and it does show me 19 A when im vaping at 80 watts on my 0.2 ohm build.... Is there something wrong with the amp reading? Is it doing this intentionally?

With a regulated mod, you do not use Ohms law to calculate amp load on your batteries. Think of the mod as having two different circuits, it makes it easier. One is the input, which is the amp load on your batteries, and one is the output, which is what hits your atomiser. Ohms law applies to the output stage.

For the input stage, it is Watts divided by INPUT voltage, and the mods efficiency. Resistance does not matter, 0.1 or 1 Ohm at the same power setting will be drawing the same from your batteries.

You really only want to go up to about 120W max with 20A batteries on a dual 18650 regulated mod to stay on the safer side of things. 220W is overdrawing even 30A cells at cut off voltage.

EDIT: For example, at 80W you are only drawing 10.18A at nominal voltage, which is middle of the road. This is before efficiency, but very safe.

Thanks Conan! yea, pretty much the same thing i replied to Angry! Its hard to wrap my head around the fact that calculating Amp draw on mech mods is different to regulated mods.... And it annoys me so much when i cant understand something! haha.. I guess i need to do some reading on this.

Peace guys! Muah!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Ali Moorad , no problem my friend, glad we could help you out.

I think regulated mods displaying amp readouts are confusing, as many people do not realise this is what is going to the atomizer. I think it should be removed, or switched off as standard, with an option to turn it on for people who want to know.

Or they could include a read out for both, the actual load on your batteries which is the one to watch for, then the one that is hitting your atomizer.

Far too many people do not realise this. It could even potentially put people in danger, thinking they are safe at a higher wattage with the build they are using due to Ohms law, when in reality they are over drawing their batteries due to the power they are running at.

VU Sponsors