Become a Patron!

Question about voltage on mechs

GeorgeTz6

Member For 2 Years
So a friend of mine bought a Babylon Wave mod from someone at his job, and I have to admit, it is a great mod, hit nice and hard, looks great and feels solid...
But, the seller told my friend that this SINGLE 18650 mech tube, can give 5.5volts, and when I questioned this he switched it to 4.8 volts... I, until this point at least know for a fact that a mech tube can give close to 4.2, not even exactly 4.2 as this would require a body with 0 resistance... And even that would require a new, and completely full battery...

So, I'm I misinformed, or is he full of shit?

The mod is pictured below
(the one on the right, obviously)
a9cd73cb386701eb69aca71019055b4d.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
So a friend of mine bought a Babylon Wave mod from someone at his job, and I have to admit, it is a great mod, hit nice and hard, looks great and feels solid...
But, the seller told my friend that this SINGLE 18650 mech tube, can give 5.5volts, and when I questioned this he switched it to 4.8 volts... I, until this point at least know for a fact that a mech tube can give close to 4.2, not even exactly 4.2 as this would require a body with 0 resistance... And even that would require a new, and completely full battery.

The output current of a 18650 battery when freshly charged is 4.2 volts, and keeps dropping off as used. With a attachment of 0 resistance the most you will get is 4.2 volts if lucky, but non higher.

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not a mech.. if it has circuitry. Circuitry is required to output more than battety voltage.

To a purest a mech has no wires also.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
But, the seller told my friend that this SINGLE 18650 mech tube, can give 5.5volts, and when I questioned this he switched it to 4.8 volts... I, until this point at least know for a fact that a mech tube can give close to 4.2, not even exactly 4.2 as this would require a body with 0 resistance... And even that would require a new, and completely full battery...

His tube is a mech so yeah 4.2 volts tops, yeah your friends coworker is clueless

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You are correct.
And with any resistive load the battery output voltage will sag under load.
For a 20 amp load with a GOOD Mooch approved battery you will get somewhere around 3.7 volts at the atty. The mod itself will have some voltage drop as well.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You are correct.
And with any resistive load the battery output voltage will sag under load.
For a 20 amp load with a GOOD Mooch approved battery you will get somewhere around 3.7 volts at the atty. The mod itself will have some voltage drop as well.

Dang...is voltage drop really that bad at 20 amps?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Check out some of Mooch's test graphs.
First few hits off of a fresh battery may be 3.8 volts but many batteries will drop below 3.7 volts during a 20 amp draw.

Here is the graph for a Samsung 25R.
All credit to Mooch, Long live Mooch!
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...-test-results-25r5-is-slightly-better.799799/

I've seen bunches and looked again to be sure, having trouble finding graphs which show voltage under 20 amp load - see a bunch that start at 30 amps and go up

Thank you, I see it now...

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've seen bunches and looked again to be sure, having trouble finding graphs which show voltage under 20 amp load - see a bunch that start at 30 amps and go up

Thank you, I see it now...
The continuous current chart on that 25R page shows 10 amp draw.

VU Sponsors