Become a Patron!

Question: Mini Volt and Non-Removable Battery Mods

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Fact 1: I'm a little more paranoid about batteries than our vape shop.

Fact 2: Our household works like this: My wife comes home from the vape shop with a new setup, which leaves me inwardly panicking until I confirm her stuff won't blow up.

New Setup
--COV's Mini Volt, 40W, 1200mAh. Can build down to .2, according to spec sheet.
--Smok FTV4 Mini. Current atty in tank is .4, pre-built from the box.

Question
Why why why don't companies put amp ratings on their mods with non-removable batteries?

Extra Rambling
That .4 coil probably needs around 10 amps. But COV advertises .2? That's closer to 20 amps.
I honestly haven't looked too hard yet, but I haven't even run across a tear down video for this thing.
But I've seen plenty of reviews. And not one reviewer talked about anything related to ohm's law.
The only due diligence that any reviewers did for the Mini Volt was contact COV to confirm the batt was 1300mAh. (COV said it was 1200.)

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
It's a problem, and that's a fact. If you can open it up and get the spec off that battery pack, you can try to google it, see if you can find a CDR rating. Or you can email CoV and see what-- if anything-- they say. Frankly, the nappy things scare me. I wouldn't have a fixed battery mod. I love CoV gear, but that battery is why I don't have a Mini Volt.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I honestly didn't think I'd see another fixed-batt mod in the house. But hey, all good. That Smok RBA is as big as an entire Ego tank. I can get a nice chunk of Kanthal in there for a higher ohm reading.

Plus, this frees up her IPV/Crown combo, so now I can steal it long enough to get it vaping properly.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You can fire the mod down to .2, but you suck the life out of the battery like a Jenna Jameson flick. The mod works best with 1+ ohm coils. It's safe, even down to .2 It will shut off if over current/voltage occurs. I've done it, LOL.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Good. Thanks.

When she got her IPV, they sold her an AWT "40A 3000mAh" battery and didn't notice she had it on 80w. (It's a running joke over there that she takes everything home for me to deal with. The AWTs weren't listed as that bad on Mooch's chart, but still.) She came home and the batt and mod were hot. I dialed the wattage down, yanked the batt out, reached over to my line of awaiting 25r's, popped one in and said "You're good."

Extra Samsungs. Best purchase ever.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, samsungs and VTC4's.

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Extra Rambling
That .4 coil probably needs around 10 amps. But COV advertises .2? That's closer to 20 amps.
I honestly haven't looked too hard yet, but I haven't even run across a tear down video for this thing.
But I've seen plenty of reviews. And not one reviewer talked about anything related to ohm's law.
The only due diligence that any reviewers did for the Mini Volt was contact COV to confirm the batt was 1300mAh. (COV said it was 1200.)

Ok. You made me look.
Here's a video I watched.

I noticed that the mod has many testing certs on it.
Look at instruction manual or website and see what tests were done to get cert. (TUV, CE, etc).
There's usually numbers to go with lab label.
Those are not usually handed out lightly if they are legit.

Here's what I get from the video.
Perhaps the battery that was initally installed - an 18450 baggie battery was 1300 mah and couldn't deliver the current needed. They found a 1200 mah that could, but never bothered to correct the spec in the manual.
That is just a WAG.

Agreeing with what was said before... hang around a 1 ohm or higher coil otherwise it will live on the charger more than it will be used.

VU Sponsors