Become a Patron!

Question on Ohms, Voltage, and Watts

Hi all. Question regarding Ohms, Voltage, and Watts. I understand that you need batteries that have enough amps to drive your device if your sub-ohm'ing, so if you have a coil that is rated at .15 ohms, your batteries should be rated at least at 28 amps. My question is what if I am vaping a sub-ohm coil at .15 ohms, but only have 20 amp batteries but I'm only vaping at 60 watts. Using the VapeCalc, I see that that would only require 20 amps draw. Am I on the right track or am I way in left field? Is this safe? I do plan on getting 30 amp batteries (Sony VTC4), but I'm running LG HG2 20 amps right now and was just wondering if I kept the watts down would it be safe to vape (at least until I get my new Sony batteries)?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I am assuming since you can control your wattage you have a regulated device?
If so then you are fine with the 20 amp battery.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With a regulated single battery mod at 60W (or with two battery mod at 120W) you are pushing between 16-21A +- depending on how full your battery(s) is.
This has nothing to do with the resistance of the coil.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks Gakudzu. Although I think I have an updated chart that Mooch has posted (I believe it's Mooch) that shows upper limits as well. So true the continuous amperage for the VTC4 is 23A, it has a max of 30A

Thanks! Hadn't seen that chart yet.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi all. Question regarding Ohms, Voltage, and Watts. I understand that you need batteries that have enough amps to drive your device if your sub-ohm'ing, so if you have a coil that is rated at .15 ohms, your batteries should be rated at least at 28 amps. My question is what if I am vaping a sub-ohm coil at .15 ohms, but only have 20 amp batteries but I'm only vaping at 60 watts. Using the VapeCalc, I see that that would only require 20 amps draw. Am I on the right track or am I way in left field? Is this safe? I do plan on getting 30 amp batteries (Sony VTC4), but I'm running LG HG2 20 amps right now and was just wondering if I kept the watts down would it be safe to vape (at least until I get my new Sony batteries)?
Everything is explained in detail in this thread ;)
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/anthony-vapes-presents-vaping-safety-101.300140/

With a regulated single battery mod at 60W (or with two battery mod at 120W) you are pushing between 16-21A +- depending on how full your battery(s) is.
This has nothing to do with the resistance of the coil.
So my concern is not pushing the battery past its amp limit. I read the way to calculate this is to take max voltage of battery (in this case 4.2v) and divide it by the resistance or ohms of your coil (my case 0.15), giving me 28A, 8 more amps than my battery at 20A (basically Ohms Law). So I'm confused when say it has nothing to do with your coil.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohm's law refers to calculating the amp load with an unregulated device.
With a regulated device the calculations are different and do not include the coil resistance, which is irrelevant.

Since the coils is not directly connected to the battery and passes through a regulator, the amp load at the chip and at the battery are different.

gobbly

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Ohms are directly related to voltage (both are quantities dealing with resistance and overcoming it). Watts is voltage*amps. Ohms law defines the relationship between resistance (ohm), voltage (volt), and draw (amp). The voltage overcomes the resistance, the amps are what are being transported and make heat.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Look at ohm's law

Here is a more in depth look at ohms law
Ohm's Law - https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/voltage-current-resistance-and-ohms-law

When choosing a battery for your mod it is important to make sure that the battery can handle the current that you are pulling from the battery. Also ensure you know the limitations of your mod per the manufacturer.
Using ohms law you can easily determine the current draw. Please see the threads authored by baditude, here in the battery section; or, myself in the beginner area.
ohms law-V = I x R Or I = V/R when I=current(amps), V=voltage, R=resistance(ohms)
So, if I need the current for a battery- I am assuming the battery at mean voltage therefore it is at 3.7v. and I am firing a 0.5 ohm resistance. Those are my two constants for the same of our math.
I would use the following as my equation:
I = 3.7v/0.5ohms
in this case I am only pulling 7.4A and 27.4 w; therefore, I want s battery that is capable of providing 7.4A safely.
admittingly, as the chart shows, most batteries can handle this. problems ome into play when people fire to far low.
NOW, lets try this with a 0.2 ohm load (coil), the voltage is the same here.
I=3.7v/0.5ohms
in this case we have 18.5amps and 68.45 w. Therefore, it is easily illustrated that the field of suitable batteries, has greatly been reduced to cells that can handle a continuous current of 20A.
247697b67fdb840cb76db3ae76227835.jpg
32f3a1b209cf045caf0a089e3436c772.jpg

But- To directly answer your question, I would not advise anyone to go below a 0.2ohm build with those batteries.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks all for the feedback. I am using a regulated device, so I guess I'm okay. Call me paranoid, but I just didn't want to blow off my face with all the things I have been reading. Thanks again for peace of mind.

gobbly

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks all for the feedback. I am using a regulated device, so I guess I'm okay. Call me paranoid, but I just didn't want to blow off my face with all the things I have been reading. Thanks again for peace of mind.

Protected circuits can fail (not to frighten you, brakes can fail too and most of us drive without thinking about it). Always good to make sure you're not too far out of the realm of what's sane :)

Protected circuits can fail (not to frighten you, brakes can fail too and most of us drive without thinking about it). Always good to make sure you're not too far out of the realm of what's sane :)
Understood and appreciated. I think vaping at 60w on a regulated device with the 20A batteries I have will be okay for a few days. At least until I get my new Sony batteries. Like I said, you see so much online and you just hope it doesn't happen to you! Thanks all for the comments!

VU Sponsors