Become a Patron!

Question regarding coils and changing flavors

AmPped

Member For 2 Years
Ok..So, just started vaping within the past week. I have an eleaf I just S. Just worked out the tank leaking issue (pretty sure the coils that are sold with those kits were the culprit for whatever reason) After a bit of research and trial and error this week I discovered FLAVOR is the most important to me and I prefer direct to lung hits (sub Ohm?). I currently have a .18 ohm stainless steel eleaf coil in there. I do get kind of bored with one flavor after about half a day, so as of lately, I have been taking out the coil and going through a whole process of cleaning the tank and parts... DAILY. It's quite a process, and I haven't wanted to alter the flavor of the new juices by using the same coils in the new clean tank...So I've been wrapping my once used coils in a paper towel, sticking them in a baggie labeled with the flavor they were used for to be reused next time I want to vape that flavor, and putting a fresh coil in with the new flavor...My question is...Can I do this??? I am not sure how I feel about washing the coils in water... Cotton and water in my mind = mold?.....Or the potential of mold or of rust of the metal of the actual coil part? Also not sure if wrapping them like I have is the right way to go either lol. I know there has got to be a better way of doing this... I'm thinking later down the line I will purchase a couple extra tanks and just swap those out when I want a switch up..But, for now though....Any info or recommendations would be super appreciated. thanks!!!

AmPped

Member For 2 Years
OH!, Sorry, I should also add that I heard a recommendation of soaking them in grain alcohol or vodka..Which is not do-able for me....I broke up with alcohol...So there's that, thanks lol

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can do that. They shouldn't rust as long you don't wash them and store them wet. The juice will protect the coil wire.

It can be a PITA having only one tank with multiple flavors. But if the flavors are similar, I don't always change coils or wicking. Unless the previous flavor was super strong, mint for example, the new flavor usually takes over after a few puffs.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Like @gakudzu said you can wash the coils, but you may want to buy a couple more mods and atomizers. If that breaks you're out of luck. Then you can have a different flavor going in various mods, which is more enjoyable for me anyway.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Changing flavors in the same tank and washing everything is going to get old quick. Like was said above, might want to get another tank and just change tanks when you want to change flavors during the day.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Having multiple tanks/mods say at least 1 back up of each is highly suggested, sucks having one burn out or break when in the middle of a nicotine fit. Rotating flavors is also a good way to keep off the stinkies, I did the same when I quit. You don't necessarily have to rinse the coil when changing flavors, if the flavors compliment each other, example you are starting on a strawberry flavor beginning of the day, then want to switch to say a creamy custard, drain the tank, fill in the new custard flavor and go, you'll get bleed over of the strawberry first few hits as a strawberries and cream, but eventually the custard will become dominant over the strawberry and finally nothing but custard (just an example), but going from a fruity to a coffee ( *ick* ) not going to work.

Being from your implication in above posts, soaking a coil in hot/very warm distilled water for a few then rinse again with cold distilled water flush, set aside and let air dry 12 to 24hours works to get most of the flavoring out of the coil, or you could use an ultra-sound jewelry cleaner to help dislodge carbon on the wire, but you don't need to necessarily use everclear/vodka to soak, that is 3years way old school Protank coil head cheat there when wicking was still silica.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok, you are talking about several things.
1. You are using disposable coils. These coils will last from a few days to several weeks. Once the coil taste bad or burnt it's time to replace it with a new coil. There's no need to wash it during it's life span.
2. As some has suggested having additional tanks makes changing flavors easy. When I first started I had 2 tanks. 1 for fruit juices and a 2nd for cake/sweet juice.
3. You can buy another identical tank, or a different one from eleaf, or another model from a different manufacturer. Note that your ijust s measures 24.5mm in diameter, so you should stay with that or a smaller diameter tank for aesthetics.
4. If you just quit smoking, congratulations!

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

AmPped

Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the replies! super helpful. I did pick up an extra eleaf ijust S tank and I just ordered a Vapesso Target 75w to try out cermic coils. From what I understand it is ok to dry burn these to clean them out. Down the rabbithole I go ha ha.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the replies! super helpful. I did pick up an extra eleaf ijust S tank and I just ordered a Vapesso Target 75w to try out cermic coils. From what I understand it is ok to dry burn these to clean them out. Down the rabbithole I go ha ha.

The CCell Ceramic coils, umm, not advised. They are a ceramic cotton type of material and are very very fragile to dry burning or not priming them properly, quite a bit worse than actual organic cotton. Have to be super careful priming them the first time, even get a single hint of a harsh or close scorched hit the CCell material is toast from then on. Solid ceramic wicks from back in my old genesis style tank days about 2 to 3 years ago you could dry burn even torch them cherry red to clean them, not this new material they call ceramic though.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I always change flavour on same coil...

VU Sponsors