Become a Patron!

Question to DNA40 owners re temperature protection

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a couple questions about the temperature protection feature in the DNA40, but I swear to God, for the life of me, I can't watch another minute of Busardo to try and find out the answer. Here it goes:

Suppose you have an RDA atop your DNA40 mod, you coil it with nichrome wire and wick it with your favorite wicking material, use it the ordinary way - sans temperature protection - and find the perfect vape at, say, 25W.

Now, if you calibrate the mod for that particular coil, dial the highest "safe" temperature setting and vape with the temperature protection at 25W, is the vape cooler, warmer or identical (provided the wick is properly wetted of course)?

And then, if you crank up the watts all the way and vape with the temperature protection, supposedly the chipset will scale back the power in real-time to stay within a safe temperature range. So in theory, you get the hottest, densest vape the wetness of your wick will allow. Or do you?

Conversely, if the vape with the temperature protection turned on is less dense, or less hot than the vape you get without temperature protection, does that mean the unprotected vape is less safe - despite the fact that you can't taste acrolein or anything? Or does it mean the DNA40 chipset is too conservative and isn't actually as good as a human being at keeping the power level on the bleeding edge?

I guess what I'm trying to find out is whether the temperature control degrades the quality of the vape, and if it does, whether it's worth getting used to it for the sake of getting the additional safety net during vapor production.

dougward1960

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i'll just say this the vape is awesome once you get through the learning curve of nickle wire. i can get a very warm dense vape or a very dense cool vape. with tp on you can set it to 40 watts but it wont output 40 watts unless your temp is set high enough. proper wicking is very important for tp to work or you will get less vapor because there isnt enough juice there to vaporize. i think that is the biggest problem with users is they aren't getting the juice to the coil fast enough. if you want a cool vape just lower temp setting but you still get decent vapor production. the flavor of the juice is vastly greater with the dna40. ive never tasted my juices this well with other mod devises its that good. took me a few builds to learn how to get coil from having hot spots and dry hits but its been working great for the last 3 weeks and i havent picked up another mod since i got this working and i have god mod a t8 dna 30 dna 20 and a couple mechs its my favorite by far

vaporelse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I only had my DNA 40 for two weeks before it had to be returned for a board failure, but during that time I was never able to get a nickel build as good as a kanthal build. Also I found nickel to be very difficult and limiting to work. Overall not a pleasant experience.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys - most informative. I must say, this system intrigues me.

I have a side question: does temperature protection work well with dual coil builds? I would think it works if both coils are balanced and heat up identically - then the board simply reads both coils as one resistance and all is well I suppose. But if one of the coils goes up in temperature faster/higher than the other, then the board will throttle the power to maintain what it sees as the mean temperature of both coils, but you might still end up with the hotter coil burning juice, right? Or does this simply not happen in practice?

I'm asking about dual-coil builds because, if I invest in a DNA40 mod, I'd like to keep using the Big Dripper. Trouble is, it's not really all that great in single-coil mode.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
imho, the evolve dna40 was their greedy way to try and corner a market with "American" made products and to cut China out of a portion of the industry....Its going to go as far as Rosanne Barr would, if she were to run a 25 mile marathon in high heals....if your going to invest into the product, I would wait a year so you can get it for a much cheaper price and after they work the bugs out. They lost all my support the moment they tried to use "scare tactics" to sell a product. They are not in it for the safety of vapors, they are in it for the mighty dollar.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm I'm paranoid, but not as much as you :) I do think DNA40 is a good idea on its own merits. However, I *am* a skinflint, and I only buy Chinese as a result.

I'll wait for a good clone to appear on the market, whose bugs/problems have been ironed out by early adopters, to invest. That's for sure. No way I'm paying more than $100 for a mod - and even $100 is pushing it...

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmm I'm paranoid, but not as much as you :) I do think DNA40 is a good idea on its own merits. However, I *am* a skinflint, and I only buy Chinese as a result.

I'll wait for a good clone to appear on the market, whose bugs/problems have been ironed out by early adopters, to invest. That's for sure. No way I'm paying more than $100 for a mod - and even $100 is pushing it...
You would be more paranoid if you were American....our lives are like fucking soap operas with all the BS lies fed to us by government and corporate schemes we deal with on a daily basis....lol Good idea limiting yourself to 100 per mod. Some of the best ones are well under that price range...if they are not, they will be one day lol.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We keep eyeing the other side of the world ourselves....would love to live in Iceland just for its amazing surroundings.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finland has been appealing to me lately. It's an empty, peaceful land with nice people and devoid of any form of craziness - aside from the local Finnish craziness, which is fairly harmless :) But really, most of Europe - UK excluded - is a much nicer place to live in than Uncle Sam, sadly. There was a time this country was great and appealing. Now it's hardly more attractive than 1933 Germany.

But I digress...

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just pray that old age takes care of the real problem makers here in our country soon....loving the fact that most of our shit is being dumped on us by people 70 to 75 years old....come on time, do your thing!

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
well I have to try and keep positive lol. Don't take my hope away hehehehe.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
wait so you can ONLY use nickel wire for the rDNA? regular kanthal doesnt work?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
kanthal will work, just will not work the temp part.

hazozita

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’ve been using a DNA40 Vapor Flask for a few weeks and, at the risk of sounding evangelical about the DNA40, it is without a doubt the best vape I’ve had bar none. I have a good 30+ mods, both regulated and mechanical, and the DNA40 – when built right – outperforms them all. The way specific temps can bring out certain flavors is just remarkable. The level of control it gives you over your vape is like nothing else out there.

If anyone is interested in how-to build info, there’s a great FB group for the DNA40: https://www.facebook.com/groups/334013750105420/

I can't address the question a few posts back about dual coils since I've been running single coils up until now in a variety of RTAs, a Sophia and a Diver. Even did a Protank rebuild in Ni200 just to see how it would work (which was great!). Drippers are my next project to tackle, so I imagine I'll have some insight into dual coils then.

Working with Ni200 is different than kanthal, so there is a learning curve. It’s not horribly difficult, but the fact that Ni200 is so much softer makes it more challenging. It also needs a rock solid connection on the atty to function properly, so it’s often better to wrap the wire around the screw posts rather than feed it through the post holes.

But, as others have said, you can also turn temp protection off and use a regular kanthal build on the DNA40. In that mode it works just like the DNA 20 or 30 (except, of course, that you can go to 40w).

There's an interview with Brandon of Evolv on Vapor Trails that is pretty interesting. Skip the first 10 min to go right to the interview.

VU Sponsors