Become a Patron!

Questions about legality of starting ejuice business

Hey everyone. My name is Zach and I'm new to the forum (Located in the US). I started vaping a while back to get off of cigarettes and I've never looked back since.

As we all know, ejuice is insanely expensive from many suppliers (especially B&M establishment). This is the reason I started DIY mixing juice. After much trial and error I think I've come up with some excellent recipes and many friends think the same.

I'm interested in starting an ejuice business, but I am very unsure about the legality of the business. All my google searches seem to come up with out of date info from 2012 or earlier. When searching government sites, I've only seen regulations that reference things like sale to minors, putting warning labels on the bottle, safety proof bottle caps, etc.

Is a license needed to manufacture and sell ejuice?

If so, how much would that license cost and how frequently would it have to be renewed?

Money isn't a huge worry for me in this venture.. I'm doing okay financially. However, I definitely don't have 100k to be dropping on certifications and licensing if that's what it comes to.

Last question would be if licensing is required and a business sells without a license what would be the legal/financial ramifications from the government?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Hey everyone. My name is Zach and I'm new to the forum (Located in the US). I started vaping a while back to get off of cigarettes and I've never looked back since.

As we all know, ejuice is insanely expensive from many suppliers (especially B&M establishment). This is the reason I started DIY mixing juice. After much trial and error I think I've come up with some excellent recipes and many friends think the same.

I'm interested in starting an ejuice business, but I am very unsure about the legality of the business. All my google searches seem to come up with out of date info from 2012 or earlier. When searching government sites, I've only seen regulations that reference things like sale to minors, putting warning labels on the bottle, safety proof bottle caps, etc.

Is a license needed to manufacture and sell ejuice?

If so, how much would that license cost and how frequently would it have to be renewed?

Money isn't a huge worry for me in this venture.. I'm doing okay financially. However, I definitely don't have 100k to be dropping on certifications and licensing if that's what it comes to.

Last question would be if licensing is required and a business sells without a license what would be the legal/financial ramifications from the government?
https://www.docdroid.net/b4Dvh2i/vta-guidance-deeming-compliance-calendar-final.pdf

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have a question for you................. What do you know about making e-Liquid sine you only started vaping a while back? Just curious since I had a vape shop owner asked if I wanted to make e-liquids for him to sell after I gave him some of my own DIY. I refused as I only make for my own personal consumption but gave him some after he hit my MOD and loved the taste.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think you likely "missed the boat" as is said. You'll need to submit to the FDA I believe, if you want to create new juices for sale. Then, you need to do it for each size you sell in. Each is a separate product accordingly to the bureaucracy of the regulations. Lots of bigger juice vendors, moved to different states, combined up products and so on to find ways around things. Glad you're doing well money wise but I would hazard to say if you did try the business, you might toss good money after bad to even try getting stuff certified to pass for sales.

Face similar here in WV with the notion of selling industrial hemp. A "farmer" needs to have been farming something seven years ahead for sale, commercial level. Then, you need to go through the established by STATE end run to get "certified" seed. Plus you need to go pay the D.E.A for a "rubber stamp", and always be sure your hemp product remains at .30 percent or less THC content lest it be dubbed m*rijuana & you get busted. Around here rednecks like to be all kinds of sneaky even on the ground of good hillbillies. Too much risk of not getting bodies buried, or getting nabbed on either falsely brought charges, or unaware someone dosed your plants.

If facing off the Feds sounds like your kind of fun, by all means, please do go right on ahead. We'll be sure to postcard bomb Leavenworth for you, wishing you were back out here. I also ponder the same that my buddy @SteveS45 ponders, if you've only started out how much can you know of mixing juices? I know there technically is not a vast amount you need to know 100% but I also know that it does require some know how to do commercially and at standard. I've only piddled a little with DIY juice myself, for myself simply because I got wonky senses of taste, no sense of smell. To me it is kind of like cooking, takes experience to do good.

I'm not trying to discourage you, despite all the negative above. I'm just thinking practical. Seems anymore all any are concerned over is profit, like bankers. Sorry, if chasing after an imaginary manner of agreed value to have the biggest pile of worthless paper is what is socially acceptable, well, you keep society I'll go the other way.

VU Sponsors