Become a Patron!

Questions about voltage and the Double Barrel v2.1

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm trying to wrap my head around bucking and boosting, high voltage/low wattage, but all of it could be more clear. Are there any articles, or videos, or other resources, that you like that you can link me to?

I have spent the majority of my time lately using various tube and squonk mechs. Previous to that I had been building higher resistance coils for my Therion-75c bf. The builds were single coils going into a Wasp Nano. 3x30g Aliens (40g wrap) in 316l SS. My only goal at the time was lower battery consumption. My goal now is the same, but it's more about my edification than practicality. That said, I have several single battery devices that could benefit from better run-time. I don't really care about clouds, but flavor is critical. I like fast ramp, short button presses and HOT vapor. Not sure if that's even possible with low wattage.

I remember being puzzled by the specs on my regulated mods boxes with an output voltage often much higher than the 4.2v possible from the single cell. I've read what I could find on boosting, but feel free to explain it in your own words since it's still above my pay grade. My question regarding the Double Barrel... What is the voltage output? I keep finding the same description that says "The advanced chipset of the Double Barrel V2.1 allows for steady voltage output...". I'm not getting anything from that. I am firing it as I type this and I'm getting around 6.26v everywhere from 50w on up to the max of 150w. The batteries are hg2's and the graphic shows them to have around 1/3rd charge. Being in series I figured that each battery was giving about 3.13v and that the actual power to the coil was the same whether the screen says 50w or 50,000 watts, but while voltage shows the same across the board, it seems like the coil is ramping faster at 100w versus 50w. So I guess I don't really understand wattage/voltage/resistance and how they work together.

Thanks for anything you care to explain guys!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Chokeslam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'm at work, so I can't really type up a long post right now.

I just wanted to say that the voltage readout you're seeing is probably just the remaining voltage between the two batteries at their current charge level.

Another possibility is that the mod may have a buck-only chip. If that's the case, then if you're using all of the voltage left in the batteries to push 50 watts, turning it up past that won't change the voltage applied.

Turn the wattage down all the way and watch the voltage readout. If it doesn't change, then it's just telling you how much is left in the batteries. If it drops, then it's a buck-only chip and you were at the max voltage the batteries can do at that charge level. If it goes up, something seriously fucked is happening. (It won't go up)

VU Sponsors