Become a Patron!

Questions for HIC in regards to recipies, or anyone else for that matter

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've bought entirely too much of the FA line and have been mixing away 5 and 10ml batches of your recipes with merry abandon but I have a couple questions. . .trying to get things dialed in to my tastes. I've fallen in love with FA flavors but I think your taste-buds are more sensitive than mine are. . .

1. What's your usual mix ratio PG/VG? I prefer high VG mixes and usually mix 70% or higher VG for dripping but also I've been mixing yours 50/50 so they will work in my KFL. Flavor is spot on @ 50/50 but muted in what I've mixed, both in KFLs and RDA's. Do you use any Distilled water or saline in your base? Mixed the Almond Apple Custard Tart thing up and it's spot on but a bit weak for me.

2. What do you usually vape on or at. I've been flirting with higher gauge builds (.3 ohm dual coil 24 ga in a Stillaire) at 35W to 40W vs little 28g microcoils which is what I used to do. . .

Tried the Black Pepper Ice Cream and found it quite peppery @ 1%. Not burning but definitely a noticeable kick. Dripped it over the top of 12% TFA Violet Candy juice in the wicks of my RDA and the floral notes the violet lent over the pepper were interesting to say the least and may well bear further investigation.

Thanks in advance.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Pretty sure HIC does max vg and doesn't do any sub ohm. Maybe @wllmc can answer how to change percentages for this.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I find you can double the %'s on most of HIC's recipes. I typically increase the % based on airflow and power. The more air flow, the more flavor I like. That's how I usually roll. Try double flavor on your next batch, and if it's too strong, you can always bring it down by adding more base until you find your sweet spot. :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I often increase HIC's percentages by a tad - but I must admit I've never doubled anything! FA flavors are so strong that if you overflavor you can lose so much you might not realize it's from overflavoring. What I often do is if he has a recipe posted at, say, 6%, I'll make a base and use it at 8%. I don't think I have anything that's all FA over 9% (and that's rare). But, as Sully says, make it as strong as you need to taste.

Oh, I also found the pepper pretty strong on an RM2 at around 1.0ohm. But it did settle down the next day and was great just as written.

And, as RP says - HIC uses max VG. He also uses evods and Vaperstek nic:p

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I've bought entirely too much of the FA line and have been mixing away 5 and 10ml batches of your recipes with merry abandon ...

"Merry abandon" - lol! I like that.

I started with high PG but moved to max-VG some time ago. Like RocketPuppy said, I don't sub ohm, drip, or use high-powered vaping equipment. I use tanks, often Protank clones and eGo-like batteries. Variable voltage is as flashy as I get.

Like Sully said, don't be shy about using higher flavoring! Doubling is simple to do, but when that sounds like too much, here's a method that lets you mix a recipe to ANY strength, very easily, even in tiny batches, without wasting nic base or using calculators: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/how-to-mix-small-batches-of-complex-recipes.1980/

If Black Pepper seems potent to you at first, let it sit a day or two. FA Black Pepper mellows fairly quickly.

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for the input. I am not scared of higher percent flavors, but just unfamiliar with FA. Still getting a feel for the flavors individually and mixing.

My adv is usually in a kayfun @ 12 whole whopping watts. I do like to drip quite a bit higher, but that is due the ramp time of heavy gage coils (so it's not 15 minutes).

VU Sponsors