Become a Patron!

Quick resistance question.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Having a bunch of people over tonight. I took a few minutes to make an Alien coil to go with the one I made yesterday. I fucked up. I used nichrome 80 instead of 316l. Oops.

So I believe the resistance won't be too far off. If I can get them at the same resistance can I use both at the same time? I swear I'm not being lazy, I don't have time! If not I'll just use whatever is in an atty now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You would likely need an additional wrap or 2 on the nichrome one to get the same resistance. Plus, they will likely not heat at the same rate.

I don’t think there is any safety concern, but you will not have both coils acting identically.

Huge problem? I would guess “no”

But I would not do it myself. Too particular.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It will be almost impossible to balance the coils for ramp up time and heat output.

Dangerous or anything, I do not think so.
Poor vape quality, I do think so.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well rats. I forgot to mention the cores are all kanthal. I thought the ramp might be different. If I'd have to use a different number of wraps forget it.

I'll just make matching coils tomorrow. Got a few things waiting for me back at home, and more incoming. Grabbed some of those 3D printed beads that slide on the cores. I was gonna make my own, but ten bucks is fair. I have doubts that I'll like them, but I've only been wrong a million times before, so... we'll see. :)

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the cores are the same, it should be fine. The resistance will be insignificantly different.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If the cores are the same, it should be fine. The resistance will be insignificantly different.
Well I did look at the resistance of both alloys before posting and thought it wasn't a big deal. Only thing I don't like is the metallic taste from nichrome. Only reason why I chose nichrome is because I wanted to see if there was a difference in terms of how they clapton. I didn't notice anything. I think I'm settling on SS, kanthal or both. Big coils (which I prefer) are coming out at well below 0.1 so kanthal it is for cores at 24 or larger.

Thanks BK.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I went ahead and put them in the Kylin. One is ramping much faster than the other. I didn't keep track of which is which, but I *think* the nichrome coil is quicker. I have always been able to even them out but even going to extremes like loosening leads isn't doing it. Oddly enough the vape is very good. It's probably my imagination or the fact that it's a new install, or both, but in any case I'm enjoying it far more than the last aliens I made. These, frankly, aren't even as well made as the other ones. I dunno, sometimes I think that every aspect of perception is just all in your mind. I rewicked my gf's BBB rba deck and the vape was every bit as good and it's just using simple clapton wire.

Speaking of perception... I wasn't even going to mention this because I know people have strong opinions on the topic, but I very much acted as scientific as possible (which isn't saying much, but I digress) and so I pre-burned wicks. Side by side using the same Goon, and the same Medusa Reborn. I am being 100% honest when I say that there is a marked difference in taste. To clarify, a marked difference to me, not to anyone else. The fact that I have zero weirdness at the beginning vape and far less yuck from a dry hit is enough to convince me. Just wanted to mention it because I'm new and it would be a bummer if someone else might benefit from it but didn't try. Obviously I don't recommend it if you are a moron, but I would hope that any of us could at least try it without lighting themselves, their cat, or their house on fire. That's all I'll say.

VU Sponsors