Quirks of the Kanger Aerotank Giant for those of you who don't know

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
1. Note the threading of the bottom cap. It's also in the air tube, but doesn't show up well in the photo. Not sure why this is needed, because the bottom cap doesn't stop turning once it is fit securely with the rest of the tank. I think the silicone gaskets on both the top and bottom caps provide all of the sealing that's needed to prevent juice from leaking.
k_topbot.jpg

2. The tank is now filled to capacity. Any more means liquid gets into the air tube.
k_fill.jpg

3. But when you turn it upright,
smiley-signs103.gif

k_notfull.jpg
... it doesn't obviously look full.

53052118.jpg

Last edited:

Tom950

VU Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You pics didnt come thru cept for the meme

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You pics didnt come thru cept for the meme
Thanks Tom ... weird: I thought I did it right the first time. Hope they appear now.

Tom950

VU Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use the mega and its the same way. I stick a qtip thru from the drip tip side until it just edge out the bottom. then fill to the thread and use the bottom cap to push the qtip out while screwing the base back on. Presto. Full tank. :)

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh yeah. Now we're cookin' with gas! BTW, thanks for some good info.

Sure thing. The bottom line is that the tank works just fine. But based on the 2nd photo, I think the center tube could have been made longer in order maximize the tank's capacity. Or, the bottom cap could have been made shallower.

As it is now, once you vape to a certain point, you have to keep turning your mod upside down in order to check how much liquid you have left.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use the mega and its the same way. I stick a qtip thru from the drip tip side until it just edge out the bottom. then fill to the thread and use the bottom cap to push the qtip out while screwing the base back on. Presto. Full tank. :)
Heck of a suggestion, thanks! :) Gotta try it out.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure thing. The bottom line is that the tank works just fine. But based on the 2nd photo, I think the center tube could have been made longer in order maximize the tank's capacity. Or, the bottom cap could have been made shallower.

As it is now, once you vape to a certain point, you have to keep turning your mod upside down in order to check how much liquid you have left.
I notice the same effect on my Kayfun and Taifun too. I know nothing about the Aeros, but on the *funs it's the result of increasing pressure when you tighten the cap down on [what for all intents and purposes is] a sealed tank.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
GOOD GOD!
YOU SIR ARE A GENIUS

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I have to agree with jeremy, I hate wasted space in tanks and kanger is the worse of them. Nice tank but only fills so much, deal breaker, but you have made it a possible deal...
Thanks

Tom950

VU Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you noticed strands of silica popping out of your heads? I thought thats why they redesigned the heads when they went from the 2 holes on each side to the slots on the sides

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Have you noticed strands of silica popping out of your heads? I thought thats why they redesigned the heads when they went from the 2 holes on each side to the slots on the sides
I haven't seen this happen to mine yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Do you think it's a sign that it's time for the coil to be changed?

Tom950

VU Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
unlikely. I noticed it after 2 days

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I see the wicks about half the time on mine... I am using both a giant and a mega with an assortment of ohm rated coils... sometimes just a hair sometimes several hairs almost like the end of a fine bristle brush... doesn't seem to effect the v ape... not sure if it correlates to leaking or not as that seems more related to the length of use...

1. Note the threading of the bottom cap. It's also in the air tube, but doesn't show up well in the photo. Not sure why this is needed, because the bottom cap doesn't stop turning once it is fit securely with the rest of the tank. I think the silicone gaskets on both the top and bottom caps provide all of the sealing that's needed to prevent juice from leaking.
View attachment 2719

2. The tank is now filled to capacity. Any more means liquid gets into the air tube.
View attachment 2720

3. But when you turn it upright,
smiley-signs103.gif

View attachment 2721
... it doesn't obviously look full.

53052118.jpg

The reason for all the airspace is this: Any tank, Aerotank Mega, Mini or Giant, as well as Kayfun, Nautilus etc. needs some airspace to account for air pressure changes, particularly when your tank experiences an change in temperature (from an air conditioned environment to a hot car on a summer day) or a rapid change in elevation (going up or down an elevator or living in a mountainous region). Air will compress and expand to some degree, while a liquid will not. If there was not some airspace your tank would always flood or suck a vacuum. Unlike some other mfrs, Kanger's design (which could probably be improved) simply hides much of your liquid in the bottom when the tank is right side up. They rate the tanks at a specific volume. If you check it carefully next time you fill an empty one you will find that filling to the metal ring with the holes is actually the rated volume. And yes the new Aerotanks-Mega, Mini, and Giant are a huge improvement-especially with the new style, lower resistance dual coils! My experience is that flavor is damn near as good as my RTA's, but with no leaks, very minimal flooding issues and virtually no maintenance!

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I see the wicks about half the time on mine... I am using both a giant and a mega with an assortment of ohm rated coils... sometimes just a hair sometimes several hairs almost like the end of a fine bristle brush... doesn't seem to effect the v ape... not sure if it correlates to leaking or not as that seems more related to the length of use...

BTW, don't bother trying to gently poke the fibers back into the coil... I tried tonight and made the damn thing leak like a sieve ... :(

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The reason for all the airspace is this: Any tank, Aerotank Mega, Mini or Giant, as well as Kayfun, Nautilus etc. needs some airspace to account for air pressure changes, particularly when your tank experiences an change in temperature (from an air conditioned environment to a hot car on a summer day) or a rapid change in elevation (going up or down an elevator or living in a mountainous region). Air will compress and expand to some degree, while a liquid will not. If there was not some airspace your tank would always flood or suck a vacuum. Unlike some other mfrs, Kanger's design (which could probably be improved) simply hides much of your liquid in the bottom when the tank is right side up. They rate the tanks at a specific volume. If you check it carefully next time you fill an empty one you will find that filling to the metal ring with the holes is actually the rated volume. And yes the new Aerotanks-Mega, Mini, and Giant are a huge improvement-especially with the new style, lower resistance dual coils! My experience is that flavor is damn near as good as my RTA's, but with no leaks, very minimal flooding issues and virtually no maintenance!
Sorry, I don't agree at all. Yes tanks need a wee bit of room for atmospheric changes and pressure compensation, but nothing like the room the Aerotanks have after a normal full fill. That's just a bad design and needs to go back to the drawing board for re-work. The Nautilus can be filled to the point there is just a tiny airbubble when turned upright and shows no problems. The Kayfuns can be filled until fluid start seeping out the bottom fill hole with no ill effects. The Aerotank just has way too much wasted potential fluid space when filled. This could be because excessive stand pressure which results in flooding, but I'm not sure... but there is no way that amount of airspace is need for pressure compensation. Just a flawed design.

Adam the Aussie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just tried this and it works great, thanks for the qtip tip Tom!

Adam the Aussie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Here's my tribute to Tom's qtip method, a very handy tip which i now use daily :)

Adam the Aussie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After some feedback, I had another go at Tom's qtip method on the Aerotank mini. It appears the mini centre air tube is narrower than the bigger tanks. I mean it worked, but I had to fish some cotton out of the centre tube and it was a very tight fit for the qtip. I tried again with about 3ml snipped off the top of the qtip, this worked a bit better, but when I started screwing the base on, it seemed to jam the qtip in the centre air channel.

Take 3 worked the best, snipped a bit off the top of the qtip so it moves a bit easier through the centre tube, fill to the threads, put the base back on as far as it would go without screwing it on, slid the qtip out about half way, screwed the base on tightly, removed qtip, vaped.

It seems a bit of stuffing around is required on the mini and may not be worth the effort for some. It's a piece of cake on the other tanks though.

Thanks again Tom.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After some feedback, I had another go at Tom's qtip method on the Aerotank mini. It appears the mini centre air tube is narrower than the bigger tanks. I mean it worked, but I had to fish some cotton out of the centre tube and it was a very tight fit for the qtip. I tried again with about 3ml snipped off the top of the qtip, this worked a bit better, but when I started screwing the base on, it seemed to jam the qtip in the centre air channel.

Take 3 worked the best, snipped a bit off the top of the qtip so it moves a bit easier through the centre tube, fill to the threads, put the base back on as far as it would go without screwing it on, slid the qtip out about half way, screwed the base on tightly, removed qtip, vaped.

It seems a bit of stuffing around is required on the mini and may not be worth the effort for some. It's a piece of cake on the other tanks though.

Thanks again Tom.

Yeah, there's that joint edge in the air tube of the Aerotank Mini where it screws together. It catches the cotton badly. I find that it works best if you first snip off one cotton tip completely and then feed the stick into the tube from the coil end. The swab pushes/pulls out much more smoothly and cleanly that way. Also, because the swab isn't compressed from insertion, it blocks the juice better when you are filling.

FyrPrf1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
WAIT.... WHAT?!?? Omg, & with all this q-tip talk... :eek: PHEW! Just checked 'mah ears to be sure, @Tom950 ... & Nope- thankfully, there are NO strands of silica poppin' outta my head-- or anywhere! :p .....really had me worried there for a second, tho! ;) LOL (couldn't resist!) Have a great day vapers! LIVE LONG -er & VAPE ON!

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Today, I've filled the tank by first getting liquid onto the threaded areas, and then putting liquid into the holes. This helped make it look a little more full after I finished.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I read the first part of that have you noticed ant silca popping out of your head--I almost went and looked in the mirror because I just recently wicked 1 of my gennie's with silica wick for the first! Whew what a relieve when I read the rest of the post

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you thank you thank you!

CheekyV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I bought the Kangertech Aerotank Mega at Vapefest and wow what an amazing vape. Im a newbie and was previously using an Aspire ET bottom dual coil. The Kanger in my opinion was my first "proper" tank. It was amazing for the first day and a half, then the coil failed, flooding everywhere. When i took it apart i noticed all the silica had come out of the coil, some was even floating in the liquid in my tank.. ive changed my coil five times since then, all within the space of a week. I tried 1.5s and 1.8s but both the same. Ive now sent for some upgraded coils after doing lots of research on the internet , they have two holes in each side so ive got everything crossed for these lasting longer. I love the tank, lovely smooth vape, lots of flavor, nice warm throat hit but to have to change the coils as much as i have is a real downer. Will be looking to try the Aspire Nautilus next if the Kanger is sadly assigned to the bin!! Any advice would be really welcome. :(

Have been using it with my Sigelei Legend..

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think the new Kanger dual coils - i.e., the ones without the silicone grommet - are an improvement, but they can still be hit or miss. I do think a good Kanger coil can withstand darker juice better than the Aspire BDC.

CheekyV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bought some of the coils with two holes either side, still the same problem.. threads hanging out, getting into my juice. I love this tank but its now assigned to the bin :(

LotsaBS THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
The kanger tanks work off of vacuum and pressure and yes you can find ways to fill it to the top. Has anyone ever gone on a flight and when you get to your tanks that had e liquid in them find that there is e liquid that has leaked? I have and I knew better but I still checked to make sure that my e liquid bottles had not come loose, the tanks had leaked because of the different pressure at different altitudes.

baltoace

Member For 5 Years
I had the same filling issue with a Kanger mega i was using. I saw somewhere how someone used a q-tip placed in the airhole from the drip tip side and pushed it up so the cotton is just at the top of the air hole. Fill the tank up to the second thread over the q-tip, the cotton soaks up a little bit of liquid and none gets into the tube. Screw on the base the coil pushes the q-tip out and you now have a full tank.

oops suppose i should have read the entire thread first!

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Love my giant, once I learned the q tip trick i was even happier. Still kills my OCD by having to flip it up and check the amount in the tank every few hours. Has anyone checked to see if the new colored glass for the genitank giant fits on the aerotank giant yet? I would love to get a colored tank for it. I also want to find replacement o'rings for it, mine leave tiny bits of oring on the glass when I clean it, I must be over tightening it.

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Love my giant, once I learned the q tip trick i was even happier. Still kills my OCD by having to flip it up and check the amount in the tank every few hours. Has anyone checked to see if the new colored glass for the genitank giant fits on the aerotank giant yet? I would love to get a colored tank for it. I also want to find replacement o'rings for it, mine leave tiny bits of oring on the glass when I clean it, I must be over tightening it.
It's just like plumbing fittings brother.. NEVER over tighten. Just snug things.
Otherwise you're crushing the seals, which can destroy them, and/or cause leaks

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's just like plumbing fittings brother.. NEVER over tighten. Just snug things.
Otherwise you're crushing the seals, which can destroy them, and/or cause leaks
my ocd gets the best of me lol.

VU Sponsors