Become a Patron!

Quitting smoking

RyGuy3186

Member For 1 Year
Hello everyone,

I would like some opinions on a vape for quitting smoking. I started using the aspire pockex before and then switched to a sub ohm machine and I lowered by nicotine content too much resulting in me starting smoking again. I'm now back up to a higher nicotine level but want something better than the pockex. Any recommendations?

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Totally depends on your definition of "something better". There are a ton of different set ups out there. Are you looking to stay with a pen style, or switch to a box mod? An all in one like the Pockex, or a separate mod and tank? The options are almost limitless. Let us know what you are looking for.

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
If you want to quit smoking, ya gotta start dropping that nic level again. More nicotine just means more craving for a cigarette. Try stepping down....12mg for a month or so, drop to 6mg, etc.
I had not been a fan of tobacco flavored eliquid, but I made the transition from “vaping smoker” to “vape only” when I got an eliquid with WTAs (Whole Tobacco Alkaloids). It really reduced my cravings for a smoke. Now I’m just at 3mg of nicotine and cigarette-free for 380 days.

I would stick with the sub-ohm device with a simple tank. But then again, I like to have a large tank capacity and mah rating. I don’t run across much need to stealth vape. If it ain’t got 4ml and 3000mah rating, I turn away with a dismissive wave.

Amigo Riptide Top-fill
Tobeco Super Tank or the 25mm Tank
Aspire Atlantis tanks
(These 3 use the same type of coil)

Vaporesso Veco One Plus
Vaporesso Veco Devil
(These 2 use the same coil)

The biggest thing is....don’t give up. You’ll find your niche.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I started M2L on a Vplum vape pen. After 2 weeks I purchased a kanger toptank mini and built coils to run at less than 16 watts to save money on the premade coils that I was constantly burning out.. I would recommend a kanger toptank mini kit. It has a replaceable / rechargable battery (you can have on in the mod, one on the charger and no down time) and you can do M2L.

If you are craving cigarettes, up your nicotine level by 3mg and when you have that craving, take out your vape and sit down and take a 5 minute vape break. Just like a smoke break, you puff your vape 5 minutes and the cigarette craving will go away. You do have to commit though. I found the hardest times after eating, before bed, with coffee and while gaming on PC. (LMAO.. btw.. vapes don't burn down to the butt while killing monsters or typing in forums, many is the cigarette I lit, puffed once...then butted out because I was looking 3 inches of ash on a filter...)

Most of the "craving for a cigarette" is mental. You get used to having one with coffee so you are in the habit of lighting up when you have a coffee. Just vape with your coffee instead. M2L takes care of the physical aspect of puffing and bending your elbow and keeping your hands busy. I was down from 18mg to 6mg after about 3 months and down to 3mg within 6 months. That was just my choice to lessen the nicotine I was inhaling. Since nicotine alone is pretty harmless, you could stay at 18mg for the rest of your life and still be ahead of the game. The thing about sub ohm.. is you get bigger clouds and more nicotine per puff. So if your cloud is twice as large, you only need half the nic.

2 1/2 years later, I still vape, I use 3mg and have no craving for a cigarette whatsoever. The only down side is sometimes I dream I smoked a cigarette and wake up feeling guilty, until I remember it was only a dream. *did you know you can taste in your dreams? (GAK) lol I still remember tasting cigarette when i woke up.

Now for the sake of cost... sticking to M2L at higher nicotine is much cheaper than sub ohming at 3mg, you go through much less juice. Say 4-5ml per day vs 15 to 20+ per day. So M2L a 60 ml bottle would last 15 days vs 4 days for me.

Walter Ladd

Member For 4 Years
Vaping did not work for me until I got dialed in with BOTH tobacco taste AND nicotine level. The atomizer needs to be easy to use and fill. It took me awhile as I have to make all the usual mistakes by trial and error. It has been five years now since my last smoke. I never had any intention of giving up tobacco just the smoking had to go. I finally got where I needed to go with Real Extracts NET, a Nautilus2 atomizer (1,6 ohm coil) running at 10 watts. The Kayfuns are great if you are into making the coils.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you are craving cigarettes, up your nicotine level by 3mg and when you have that craving, take out your vape and sit down and take a 5 minute vape break. Just like a smoke break, you puff your vape 5 minutes and the cigarette craving will go away. You do have to commit though.

Most of the "craving for a cigarette" is mental.

2 1/2 years later, I still vape, I use 3mg and have no craving for a cigarette whatsoever. The only down side is sometimes I dream I smoked a cigarette and wake up feeling guilty, until I remember it was only a dream. *did you know you can taste in your dreams? (GAK) lol I still remember tasting cigarette when i woke up.

Good advice indeed. I was always told to use the highest nic level I could physically tolerate; for me, as a long-time ultra-lights smoker, that wasn't very high -- 10mg tops -- but it worked... until I had a dual-use relapse, thx to appendectomy. The 2nd time I tried putting the butts down, nicotine alone just wasn't getting it done, so i had to add WTA... and THAT made all the difference. But you need to have already quit the butts, for at least a week, before you try WTA, or you won't be able to tell any difference.

I'm still vaping after 4 yrs smoke-free, BECAUSE I don't want to go back to smoking -- it's a direct replacement. If you replace a dangerous thing with a not-so-dangerous thing, then what happens if you quit the not-so-dangerous thing? You either go straight back to the dangerous thing, making it twice as hard to quit it again... or you go back to the not-so-dangerous thing and wonder why it's not working anymore. When I had the flu, I didn't vape at all for nearly 2 wks... but just as soon as I started feeling better, I wanted my vape -- if I hadn't had a vape, I'd have wanted to smoke. If you want to not-smoke AND not-suffer... KEEP VAPING.

And yes again, to the tasting in dreams -- last night I dreamed I was vaping a tobacco flavor -- which I haven't done in 4 yrs, because i don't like that flavor anymore! But at least I wasn't dreaming about smoking. :) Which hasn't happened too often, thx to vaping I'm sure, but the times when I have, I woke up LAUGHING, because I don't do that anymore. :D

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Vaping did not work for me until I got dialed in with BOTH tobacco taste AND nicotine level. The atomizer needs to be easy to use and fill. It took me awhile as I have to make all the usual mistakes by trial and error. It has been five years now since my last smoke. I never had any intention of giving up tobacco just the smoking had to go. I finally got where I needed to go with Real Extracts NET, a Nautilus2 atomizer (1,6 ohm coil) running at 10 watts. The Kayfuns are great if you are into making the coils.

I started my first 2 weeks on tobacco flavor. Problem was it tasted the way tobacco smells and not like the taste of smoke. So I figured why bother? So I just left tobacco behind and wont touch it. lol I actually hate the smell of tobbaco ejuice now.

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Which device would be recommended for nic salts?
If you are looking at doing salts, then the Wismec CB-60 kit comes to mind. I know there are others out there as well. Another option are pod kits like the Suorin and others. Just keep in mind that most nic salt designs are for mouth to lung vaping, i.e. the same way you hit a cigarette, draw then inhale.
Oh, I should also add that you can do nic salts in just about any device you care to. It's just that the devices designed for nic salts do it a bit better. :)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I started my first 2 weeks on tobacco flavor. Problem was it tasted the way tobacco smells and not like the taste of smoke. So I figured why bother? So I just left tobacco behind and wont touch it. lol I actually hate the smell of tobbaco ejuice now.

It actually is possible to come up with a reasonable facsimile.. BUT: it really needs to be DIY, which most newbies aren't yet into, to incorporate things like Bitter Wizard and Dirty Neutral Base... and even with those little tweaks, it's still gonna be somewhat sweeter than smoke, because nothing is actually burning, which is really bitter. But I was able to create a reasonable facsimile of Camel, for my son's switch, using FA's Desert Ship plus the Bitter Wizard and DNB.

Andria

VU Sponsors