Become a Patron!

Ramp up time?

Tombat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've been building using some pre made fused Clapton kanthal wire, and while
I'm loving the build process and ultimate flavor I'm receiving, the ramp up time seems to be way longer than I'd like. I've tried using less wraps, more wraps, higher wattages and lower wattages and I can't seem to remedy the problem. Any tips?

Tombat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can stainless be used in wattage power mode, or is it only usable in temperature ckmfr?

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
SS can be used in both Wattage/Power mode and Temp Control (SS-TC) Mode.
SS also provides far superior flavor to Nickel and Titanium wire, and most SS builds are usually equal to or better than it's Kanthal equivalents as well. Just keep in mind that SS has a lower TCR than Kanthal, so you have to wrap accordingly.

Your problem may just be due to the particular wire you're using. Some companies use an inferior wire, or a less pure composition, which can lead to issues like hotspots or uneven current flow. I've had a couple lengths of just simple Clapton wire way back, from different companies, and even though they were the same wire dimensions and same build specs, some just performed better than others, no matter how much I fiddled with the build or settings, so you may very well just have some dud wire.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a lot of the premade clapton wire has 32 gauge wrap, which is a few gauges thicker than ideal. that leads to bad ramp up and cool down, and a higher power requirement. try a smaller inner diameter or less wraps, but watch your resistance to make sure youre staying safe.

BoostAddict

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Use higher gauge core wire. 28x2 wrapped with 32-40 gauge. The core wire is what effects the ramp up time, they wrap holds them together. Like the other guys suggested use SS wire.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
SS can be used in both. I just built a SS dual fused clapton yesterday

Attachments

• 20160718_221027.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19

VU Sponsors