Become a Patron!

Ramp up vs cool down

Erbz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all. Time for my first daft question .

I'm very new to all the rda thing and I've seen mention of ramp up times for coils , but what are reasonable cool down times ? I've built 2 builds so far , 1 dual coil and 1 single coil , both using what appears to be flat fused clapton ni80 at .3x.8 in a .2 outer (5 wraps 3MM on the dual and 8 wraps 1.4mm on the single )and I was wondering if its normal for an rda to still be letting off vape for about 5 or 6 seconds after you release the fire button when running about 65watt ? (Lets just say It was a bit concerning seeing what looked like smoke seeping out of my shirt pocket )

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi all. Time for my first daft question .

I'm very new to all the rda thing and I've seen mention of ramp up times for coils , but what are reasonable cool down times ? I've built 2 builds so far , 1 dual coil and 1 single coil , both using what appears to be flat fused clapton ni80 at .3x.8 in a .2 outer (5 wraps 3MM on the dual and 8 wraps 1.4mm on the single )and I was wondering if its normal for an rda to still be letting off vape for about 5 or 6 seconds after you release the fire button when running about 65watt ? (Lets just say It was a bit concerning seeing what looked like smoke seeping out of my shirt pocket )

It might be normal for claptons. Watch out for how hot they will be even if you think they are cool and you go to unscrew the uncapped deck. I got a coil shaped burn on my thumb that hurt on and off for the whole day. lol

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yeah it's normal don't forget you have a large surface area being heated here

More mass = more time to cool down

Also you have juice getting trapped in the little nooks in the wrap which are bubbling off after you let go of the fire button ...that's why simple coils dont get gunked up as quick as say claptons they cool down quicker and juice doesn't get trapped and cooked for as long

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah it's normal don't forget you have a large surface area being heated here

More mass = more time to cool down

Also you have juice getting trapped in the little nooks in the wrap which are bubbling off after you let go of the fire button ...that's why simple coils dont get gunked up as quick as say claptons they cool down quicker and juice doesn't get trapped and cooked for as long

Yes, I have found that I need to clean, dry fire, and rewick much more often with claptons. But the vapor is nice when it is not too dirty. My husband prefers the claptons. Too bad I do all the building, cleaning, wicking for both of us. If both of our 2 decks total were 2 post, it wouldn't be so bad, but one of our decks is 3 post and has been such a painful challenge for me to build on.

I actually prefer the simple wire. Just don't have any to wrap with yet.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yes, I have found that I need to clean, dry fire, and rewick much more often with claptons. But the vapor is nice when it is not too dirty. My husband prefers the claptons. Too bad I do all the building, cleaning, wicking for both of us. If both of our 2 decks total were 2 post, it wouldn't be so bad, but one of our decks is 3 post and has been such a painful challenge for me to build on.

I actually prefer the simple wire. Just don't have any to wrap with yet.
Ouch! Yeah I like a clapton as well Great flavour and clouds just a chore to make as you say lol

I'm heading towards KISS (keep it simple stupid) the gains by all these ever more complex coils provide diminishing returns especially when you factor in juice and battery life

Erbz

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cool, thanks for the advice both , ill stop worrying about things like sticky fire buttons now and also take a bit more time before stuffing it in me pockets . :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Cool, thanks for the advice both , ill stop worrying about things like sticky fire buttons now and also take a bit more time before stuffing it in me pockets . :)

Lock or turn off your device when not using just to be on the safe side (assume you do this anyway)

You can blow out beifly before inhaling as a way to cool down the coil slightly although this will cause condensation and you'll find you get some leaking out the air vent

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sometimes I blow it a bit (while firing) to get it ramped up faster and then try to keep vaping (sucking) for longer after I stop firing. Hotter vape and cools it down a little bit after its done.
I keep a sheet of paper towel with me to wipe out my cap and drip tip throughout the day. Or else it will be quite the mess...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm heading towards KISS (keep it simple stupid) the gains by all these ever more complex coils provide diminishing returns especially when you factor in juice and battery life

Agree with you, been using different clapton coils for many months. Couple of days ago I made a simple single wrap kanthal 26ga coil, I don't think I could notice any difference if the same juice, tank, mod were used. The flavor is just as good using the single wrap dual coils.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Agree with you, been using different clapton coils for many months. Couple of days ago I made a simple single wrap kanthal 26ga coil, I don't think I could notice any difference if the same juice, tank, mod were used. The flavor is just as good using the single wrap dual coils.

Did you space them inspects?

VU Sponsors