Become a Patron!

Rapture Reviews the Luxotic NC

Chasing_Rapture

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Disclaimer: This product was sent to me for the purposes of review by Wismec. This does not change my opinions of the devices.

This is a first for me, but I have to be very transparent. I love the Noisy Cricket line. The original is my most used mech, and the NC2-25 is my most used “regulated” mod. I can’t tell you how excited I was when I received this device. With that said, because of my loves for the devices, I’m more inclined to point out flaws with the big brother.

Also sorry for the lack of pictures in this one, My phone decided it didn't want to keep any of the pictures I took

The Luxotic NC is a beast of a mod. Taking 20700s and being both a series and parallel mod, you can have absolute monstrous power without sacrificing that much battery life, or insane battery life and amperage without sacrificing power. The resin/brushed metal look IMO is really nice, but that’s super subjective. The kit also contains the Guillotine v2 RDA, which is the updated version of the RDA that comes with the RX Machina.

Package contents and Specs

Package contains

• 1 Luxotic NC mod with battery adapter inside
  • 1 Guillotine V2 RDA
  • bag of spares for RDA, including coils and cotton
  • Ultem drip tip

Specs

Mod:

• 96.2mm (H) 54.5mm (W) 26.6mm (D)
  • Parallel unregulated, Series VV w/potentiometer, Series Unregulated modes
  • Uses 20700 batteries and 18650s with adapters
  • Fits up to 26mm with no overhang

RDA:

• 34.8 (H) 24mm (D) 25.5 diameter with beauty ring
  • Clamp style deck
  • Bottom airflow with reversible barrel to make RDA side airflow

Yep, that’s right power fiends, it has a series unregulated mode. It seems that most reviewers missed this fact in the rush to get reviews out. If you have a NC2, you get into the mode the same way. Switch the mod into series mode and the light flashes red, indicating it’s in series regulated mode, turn off the mod and hold the power button for 5 seconds and the light will flash white, indicating the switch to unregulated series mode.

A word of warning, it’s actually unregulated, it will fire anything you put on it. I have a .11 build I was using in parallel mode, switched it into unregulated series mode to test if it would fire, and it did. Obviously, this is super dangerous, and I do not recommend anything under .28 in unregulated series mode. A .28 is exactly 30a discharge at 8.4v

With that said, the switch is super stiff, so I don’t think accidentally switching modes is going to be a problem.

In series regulated mode, the devices is a PWM mod. Turn the dial to adjust voltage to your personal preference. I’ve seen that it was limited to 5.3v from reviewers, but the website says 8v limit. I don’t have the equipment to test this, but I’m inclined to believe it’s 8v based off how hot the vapor is on a .11 build. In both series modes, I was getting about 8-10 hours of battery life.

In parallel mode, the battery life is bonkers. With two 20700s in parallel you’re essentially getting 6000 mAh. No joke, I was going almost 2 full days before the low voltage indicator came on. This mode is also unregulated, but you get the added bonus of +50% amp limit, so you can build lower while keeping under CDR for your batteries.

The mod is solidly built, but there are a few nagging points. The bottom resin is a sleeve and not a solid chunk like the top piece. This leads the bottom piece to rattle a little because it’s not completely tight. Also, with some 20700’s there is some battery movement. With the Ijoy’s they are slightly tight, but with the vapcell gold/black 20700’s (the Sanyo a rewraps) there is some very slight side to side movement. Nothing that would cause any damage to the wraps or disconnections, but enough that you can notice it if you shake your mod. I think this is because the Sanyo A batteries are less common, so it was milled out for the Ijoy type batteries. Granted, this is good, because the 5-leg 20700s are basically all you can find.

Now to the RDA. The Guillotine is a nice complement to this mod, but it has some faults. The deck is kind of a pain to build on; the clamps are set low in the deck, so you have to bend your leads to get both in place. The clamps themselves are forced down by screws pushing from the top, as opposed to being part of the screw assembly, so if you screw them down fully one by one, the screws can and will end up cross threaded (I stripped 2 of my screws, and there are only 2 replacements.) I recommend screwing them all down evenly to avoid this. The Matching resin drip tip is a little shorter than I prefer as well, being about 1mm shorter than the bonza drip tip.

Outside of those faults, the rda vapes really nice once you get a build in it. Bottom airflow, the flavor is great and if you slightly over drip, the beauty ring acts as a catch cup. It does fit snug against the top cap, but it stops all juice from going under the dripper and slightly contains the juice from over flowing the airflow.

The side airflow is more geared for series unregulated builds, as they tend to be really chunky and way wider than the bottom airflow allows for. With a series build, this rda will get hot., that’s just the nature of series unregulated. In series regulated, since you can dial in the voltage, you can use whatever build you want (down to a .1) in the RDA in whatever airflow configuration you want.

Pros and Cons

Pros:

• The three different usage modes
  • Battery life for both series and parallel
  • stiff switch to prevent accidentally switching between parallel and series
  • fire button is nice and stiff.
  • Potentiometer dial does not move without user input, line to turn dial is also nice and big
  • Not super heavy for a dual 20700 mod
  • Flavor from RDA in bottom airflow is really good
  • Reversible barrel is really handy if you want to put a series build in the RDA
  • Beauty ring serves two purposes
  • The matchiness of both the RDA and the mod (subjective)

Cons:

• Bottom resin sleeve moves slightly up and down and flexes inward
  • Battery rattle with less common 20700 batteries (basically just Sanyo A’s and rewraps)
  • Some atomizers might have a slight gap when screwed down (only had this happen with my aromamizer supreme)
  • No mention of series unregulated mode in manual
  • Clamps need to be screwed down all at once, not one screw at a time.
  • not a friendly build deck for newbies
  • Drip tip is too short in my opinion. (subjective)

TLDR; and Rating

Some people don't like number ratings because they "don't mean much" without proper context. I rate on a 10 point scale.

10- perfect IMO, would by multiple. 9- almost perfect, would buy another. 8- Great, would buy replacement if I lost it. 7- Good, would maybe buy a replacement if lost. 6- okay, probably wouldn't be upset if lost. 5 through 0 failure of varying degrees, would not recommend. (4 or 5 maybe if free)

With that said, The mod gets an 8.75 and the RDA gets a 6.75.

If the mod didn’t have the slight battery rattle, the resin at the bottom didn’t move, and it stopped me from firing a super low build in series unregulated, it would be a 10, as it stands though it’s an 8.75. if they can fix these issues, I would definitely buy the red resin version to have in my collection. The RDA isn’t the best, but the flavor is on point. I don’t necessarily need another one, but I would not turn one down if I can only buy a kit.

The mod isn’t released yet so I can’t recommend picking it up yet. However, if you are so inclined to preorder it, I have seen it from 45-65 dollars on various sites.

Bro? Was wondering. Is there delrin this cheap that it would protrude or pop up? I feel like I am holding a cheap toy. Hays. It was a run for my money. Are these things have the same problem that the delrin would protrude? Just bought mine the other day. Phew. I dont like holding cos it has rough edges.

Attachments

• 2B7B83BA-B693-489B-A775-6CE26116D6E1.jpeg
    2B7B83BA-B693-489B-A775-6CE26116D6E1.jpeg
    481.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 210FA209-A63F-4527-A554-4FD220499BD2.jpeg
    210FA209-A63F-4527-A554-4FD220499BD2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

VU Sponsors