Become a Patron!

Rather HOW NOT TO

I remember when I first started diy I got some pure nic, thinking it was 100mg I mixed up a 30ml bottle with 7.2ml of pure nicotine. THAT NEARLY CHOKED ME. I was thinking I was mixing 24mg but in reality it was 240mg I ended up having 2 puffs and choked my ring out every time thinking what the hell was going on. I didnt need a vape til the next day. I only buy 100mg nic now stay away from 990mg not for me.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah that's not cool. Glad your alright.
I also think this doesn't belong in this area...moved to main DIY area.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've got to be honest here, stuff like this just pisses me off. I understand wanting to DIY and make your own juice, but the vendors who are selling uncut drug/reagent strength nicotine without lots of warnings and information need to have a paddle taken to their backside. Ultimately it's up to the DIY'er to do their homework before even starting to mix their own juice. The Op stated that he made 240mg/ml ejuice, quite frankly he's lucky as hell he didn't suffer tachycardia or cardiac failure. This is not humorous folks, this is really serious when stuff like this happens. A few drops of Pure uncut Nicotine on your skin will be absorbed quickly and can turn down the bed for your dirt nap.

If you want to DIY, ask questions first.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I remember when I first started diy I got some pure nic, thinking it was 100mg I mixed up a 30ml bottle with 7.2ml of pure nicotine. THAT NEARLY CHOKED ME. I was thinking I was mixing 24mg but in reality it was 240mg I ended up having 2 puffs and choked my ring out every time thinking what the hell was going on. I didnt need a vape til the next day. I only buy 100mg nic now stay away from 990mg not for me.
Surprised anyone is even allowed to buy it at that concentrate except for vendors.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i think it should be brought up one of the ads on the top is a vendor selling 990mg nic base which is just fucking irresponsible imo. if you are going to do that call it 990mg NOT 99% pure nicotine

What fucking company is selling pure Nic in the ads? This needs to be addressed by the mods and Joe Petner...

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've got to be honest here, stuff like this just pisses me off. I understand wanting to DIY and make your own juice, but the vendors who are selling uncut drug/reagent strength nicotine without lots of warnings and information need to have a paddle taken to their backside. Ultimately it's up to the DIY'er to do their homework before even starting to mix their own juice. The Op stated that he made 240mg/ml ejuice, quite frankly he's lucky as hell he didn't suffer tachycardia or cardiac failure. This is not humorous folks, this is really serious when stuff like this happens. A few drops of Pure uncut Nicotine on your skin will be absorbed quickly and can turn down the bed for your dirt nap.

If you want to DIY, ask questions first.
agreed it pisses me off too, because THIS is what the regulators will go after. i understand thats almost a cliche in this industry but this is seriously what they will present in the courts. "they are selling 999mg pure nicotine that can and will easily kill people" which is something i cant argue against

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm pretty sure shipping that through USPS is completely illegal.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Surprised anyone is even allowed to buy it at that concentrate except for vendors.
It's still widely used in Gardening to kill insects, aphids, cut worms and such....

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
agreed it pisses me off too, because THIS is what the regulators will go after. i understand thats almost a cliche in this industry but this is seriously what they will present in the courts. "they are selling 999mg pure nicotine that can and will easily kill people" which is something i cant argue against
On a strive for purity we all have I can see where the confusion is present.
In fact I thought hiliq was charging retard prices for 100mg nic when it was in fact pure cut nic 1000mg for nic base mixing. Very confusing.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's still widely used in Gardening to kill insects, aphids, cut worms and such....
Actually using nic as a pesticide was banned in January 2014.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On a strive for purity we all have I can see where the confusion is present.
In fact I thought hiliq was charging retard prices for 100mg nic when it was in fact pure cut nic 1000mg for nic base mixing. Very confusing.
thats why i clicked it in the first place to see why they are calling theirs pure

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Actually using nic as a pesticide was banned in January 2014.
Well straight nic is effective it was the nicatonoid based wide spread use that was banned.. necropsy of collapsed bee colonies showed EXTREME nic toxicity, not to mention ground water run off.

Even if you click on it there is no mention that it is straight up 1000mg base to be diluted to lower mg base.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not sure if it is banned in all forms but this from WikiPedia

Tobacco was introduced to Europe in 1559, and by the late 17th century, it was used not only for smoking but also as an insecticide. After World War II, over 2,500 tons of nicotine insecticide (waste from the tobacco industry) were used worldwide, but by the 1980s the use of nicotine insecticide had declined below 200 tons. This was due to the availability of other insecticides that are cheaper and less harmful to mammals.[6]

Currently, nicotine, even in the form of tobacco dust, is prohibited as a pesticide for organic farming in the United States.[63][64]

In 2008, the EPA received a request, from the registrant, to cancel the registration of the last nicotine pesticide registered in the United States.[65] This request was granted, and since 1 January 2014, this pesticide has not been available for sale.[66]

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not sure if it is banned in all forms but this from WikiPedia

Tobacco was introduced to Europe in 1559, and by the late 17th century, it was used not only for smoking but also as an insecticide. After World War II, over 2,500 tons of nicotine insecticide (waste from the tobacco industry) were used worldwide, but by the 1980s the use of nicotine insecticide had declined below 200 tons. This was due to the availability of other insecticides that are cheaper and less harmful to mammals.[6]

Currently, nicotine, even in the form of tobacco dust, is prohibited as a pesticide for organic farming in the United States.[63][64]

In 2008, the EPA received a request, from the registrant, to cancel the registration of the last nicotine pesticide registered in the United States.[65] This request was granted, and since 1 January 2014, this pesticide has not been available for sale.[66]
Still available and used by gardeners, also Neonicotinoids are still widely used world wide, despite fucking with the bees and causing colony collapse syndrome.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Still available and used by gardeners, also Neonicotinoids are still widely used world wide, despite fucking with the bees and causing colony collapse syndrome.
You're probably right. I've read contradictory things about it so it's vague.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What fucking company is selling pure Nic in the ads? This needs to be addressed by the mods and Joe Petner...
I did pm a mod about it asking for their feedback on the subject. I think that something regarding a situation just like this needs to be addressed as a sticky, at the very least. It was suggested that I could write up a step by step, they would make it one. I'm not qualified to do that, so I contacted a vendor asking if they would consider doing so, since they do use this stuff. That vendor didn't reply to me.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I did pm a mod about it asking for their feedback on the subject. I think that something regarding a situation just like this needs to be addressed as a sticky, at the very least. It was suggested that I could write up a step by step, they would make it one. I'm not qualified to do that, so I contacted a vendor asking if they would consider doing so, since they do use this stuff. That vendor didn't reply to me.

Handling un-diluted USP Nicotine has to be done with full lab safety gear, gloves, splash guard for the face, gloves, et cetera. I seriously doubt many DIY'ers have the needed safety gear to work with undiluted USP Nicotine. We definitely need sticky thread on safety and dilution practices...

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
agreed with both of the above.. with vendors advertising as 99% pure we have got to bring this to the attention of people before more situations like the OP happen with worse outcomes

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Handling un-diluted USP Nicotine has to be done with full lab safety gear, gloves, splash guard for the face, gloves, et cetera. I seriously doubt many DIY'ers have the needed safety gear to work with undiluted USP Nicotine. We definitely need sticky thread on safety and dilution practices...
Forgot the neg vapor environment. Or at very least very well ventilated.
The fumes are just as negative impacting as the liquid.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Forgot the neg vapor environment. Or at very least very well ventilated.
The fumes are just as negative impacting as the liquid.
That's why you see labs blending pure USP Nic with pg or vg under fume hoods.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, yeah. I was alarmed the day I logged in and saw the banner at the top of the page that @M5amhan referred to. As I explained to the mod, I realize this isn't ECF, where you can't even talk about it, it was just disturbing to see that ad, then someone in another thread started talking about buying pure nic and had never started DIY at all.

I don't want a step by step of how to. I leave that to the pros and buy their stuff. Surely there are precautions in even buying the stuff to begin with. It's like the line in the movie about needing a license to drive or fish.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They should have a more in detail warning on the sales page where it's offered. Right now there is just a warning that the product is only meant for those experience with DIY but that's not enough. Anyone might think they are "experienced" with DIY without actually knowing the safety measures needed to handle pure nic. Personally I think it's a bit irresponsible to just sell pure nic like that to anyone who wants it. Normally I wouldn't pretend I'm a judge but in this case someone could easily get killed.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Let's see what Eraserhead has to say . . .

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, in the last week, 2 people have posted about using pure nic, meaning to discuss 100mg nic. What happens when someone doesn't realize the difference between the 2? I never looked up ordering pure nic, so I didn't know it's readily available prior to noticing the ad banner the first time.

Yes, I think it's irresponsible of a vendor, too. Those "cautions" don't even seem as strong as some that I've seen for working with 100mg.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

I p'med you about the need for a good nicotine safety sticky.
When you get a chance please check your pm's.
Thank you very much for your input, Tom (5150)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
They should have a more in detail warning on the sales page where it's offered. Right now there is just a warning that the product is only meant for those experience with DIY but that's not enough. Anyone might think they are "experienced" with DIY without actually knowing the safety measures needed to handle pure nic. Personally I think it's a bit irresponsible to just sell pure nic like that to anyone who wants it. Normally I wouldn't pretend I'm a judge but in this case someone could easily get killed.
If you use 2.4% or 24 mg/ml Eliquid and You accidentally make .24% or 2.4 mg/ml liquid it's just a mistake,
Accidentally making 24% or 240 mg/ml Eliquid may be a DEADLY mistake!

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i saw whiskey's post on diluting nic, i think one of the main points there should be to be 100% sure what the strength of your nicotine base is. i think even new diyers understand that you have to dilute the nic but what im more worried about is people confusing what strength their nic base is. thinking they bought 100mg when they really bought 999mg like the OP. it even caught me off guard and ive been diying for a while now. just throwing that out there

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We'll have something up as a sticky as soon as its completed, its in process of being composed. We'd also like to add, that we can only caution people about the dangers and risks of handling and working with pure Nicotine and hope the experienced help the people who are not learn the correct methods of diluting, handling and storage of it. Vape on and BE SAFE!!!

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, in the last week, 2 people have posted about using pure nic, meaning to discuss 100mg nic. What happens when someone doesn't realize the difference between the 2? I never looked up ordering pure nic, so I didn't know it's readily available prior to noticing the ad banner the first time.

Yes, I think it's irresponsible of a vendor, too. Those "cautions" don't even seem as strong as some that I've seen for working with 100mg.
I see this all.the.time. And it's an honest mistake I think. People see 100mg and think 100%, not realizing that 100mg/ml nic is a 10% dilution, NOT 100%. There is a US company selling undiluted nic, but they seem to have buying criteria and plenty of warnings. I can only hope they enforce that.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Was just curious about the company in question so did the first few steps of putting an order through just to see. When it came to choosing the product I wanted to buy, here's what came up. At check out for a $10 bottle of pure nictotine, the following options were offered as add-ons to the order:

OPTIONS

Accessories

Disposable Sterilized Mask (1 Piece) +$0.30

3ML Plastic Transfer Pipet(1 Piece) +$0.35

Disposable Sterilized Gloves(1 Piece) +$0.80

----------------------------------------------------------------
The following nicotine purity was then offered
--------------------------------------------------------------

*Select Concentration

99% Plus

99.9% +$3.00

-----------------------------------------
The following delivery options were offered.
-----------------------------------------

Best Way

DHL: $17.99/first 0.5kg +$6.48/add.0.5kg(3-5 days) $17.99

FedEx: $18.50/first 0.5kg +$5.48/add.0.5kg(Economy, 3-5 days) $18.50

FedEx: $19.99/first 0.5kg +$5.99/add.0.5kg(Priority, 2-3 days) $19.99

EMS: $20.5/first 0.5kg +$10.95/add.0.5kg $20.50
------------------------------------------------

Make of this information what you will.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm lost?? If someone said they are selling 99% pure nicotine, do you not automatically know that its 990+mg nic? IE 'pure'?? How is that possible? I mean, 24mg is not 24% nic, right? 36mg is not 36%, correct? This all seems to me like someone not paying attention.. I mean, 99% pretty much means its ALL nicotine. If you had a mixed drink that was 99% water, wouldnt you know that its basically ALL water?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm lost?? If someone said they are selling 99% pure nicotine, do you not automatically know that its 990+mg nic? IE 'pure'?? How is that possible? I mean, 24mg is not 24% nic, right? 36mg is not 36%, correct? This all seems to me like someone not paying attention..
I think what people are concerned about is just by not paying attention you could end up killing yourself.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anyway, all in all, I don't think there is much to worry about, because you would end up paying nearly $30 for 10ml of pure nicotine, when you could more easily just buy 100ml of 10% nicotine (same thing) for half that price, heck myfreedomsmokes is offering an entire liter of it for $40. So what are the odds anyone who doesn't know their shit and doesn't understand the difference is going to spend $30 on 10ml of something when they can get 1000ml for ten bucks more?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yep, it freaks me out that anyone, anywhere can buy the stuff. Sure, I got excited to start up DIY. I also got nervous, lol. At the time, I was mixing with 48 MILLIGRAM per ml nic. When I see people talking about 99 PERCENT nic or higher, I want to jump in on a convo and make sure someone is understanding the difference.

I researched and read for 2-3 months prior to making a purchase. I wanted to go full boar and start with 100 MG nic. They were out of it when I ordered, and I think that was a message from whatever great beyond exists, lol. My hands shook.

PEOPLE - when you start up diy, do some research!! Read about working with DILUTED nicotine base. If you don't find the info here at VU, then find it at another place. This forum is awesome, yes, but it's still young. If you are new to DIY and want to work with nicotine, make sure you are buying a diluted with base formula. Don't buy pure nic if you are not qualified to handle it with the proper safety measures and lab. That shit'll kill ya.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Update-a couple of us are going to be working on a thread where all useful information such as you our members have posted here, all collected in one area so it can be shared and added to by some of our most informed DIY'ers , seasoned mixers and others versed in working with nicotine, we are hoping that this project both involves you and helps better educate our new members that are just starting out and could be confused about these types of issues, so stay tuned we will be reaching out to you pro's out there to help with this project:)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Update-a couple of us are going to be working on a thread where all useful information such as you our members have posted here, all collected in one area so it can be shared and added to by some of our most informed DIY'ers , seasoned mixers and others versed in working with nicotine, we are hoping that this project both involves you and helps better educate our new members that are just starting out and could be confused about these types of issues, so stay tuned we will be reaching out to you pro's out there to help with this project:)

Thanks, @Whiskey because the info for handling any sort of nic really needs to be addressed :)

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think what people are concerned about is just by not paying attention you could end up killing yourself.
Which is exactly why we now have stupid warnings like this... :facepalm:

ea24f185103e84fc57761a5666b6e1b1.jpg

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I better buy the pure shit while I can. Sooner or later some dumb dumb is going to fuck it up for everybody.

When I looked on the hi liq site, I knew immediately that it was 999mg and not 99mg.
Is it dangerous, sure. But so is getting on the freeway or shooting guns.
Im sure this type of access will be legislated away eventually. After a couple dummies hurt themselves, we will all get punished.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And when the first person has a fatal accident from using, or being exposed to, pure nic (and note I'm not talking about 100mg/ml) and it was found out it was purchased after reading about it on VU this will hurt all of us.

http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1349.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ershdb/emergencyresponsecard_29750028.html

I don't care who uses it. I do care that it is discussed as if it's no big deal with just a 'be careful' warning and a cavalier attitude That kid who builds 0.01 coils without an ohm reader (and a way to check its accuracy) is also the one who may order pure nic.

Freedom of speech is one thing. Promoting the use of pure nic (as in allowing advertising) is blatantly dangerous, not just for individuals but for their families and anyone else who may come into contact with the person using it. And in the end it will hurt all of us who simply wanted to DIY with 100mg/ml nicotine. Literally ONE drop on your skin, even washed off, can make you very sick several hours later. Nicotine is a systemic poison, so washing it off isn't enough.

This is a Class 6 hazardous material, along with other delights such as sodium cyanide. It can't be transported (legally or safely) without special packing:
http://ehs.okstate.edu/modules/dot/DOT_Class.htm#Toxic.

I'm New to Vaping Underground, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking this question on the wrong board. I'm about to make my first bottle of juice and now I'm terrified that I have the wrong nicotine. The front of the bottle has '10 '/,(-)Nicotine Solution 100mg/ml'. Is that the one I should or shouldn't use? I have a few more questions on making juice, can someone let me know where I can post them?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm New to Vaping Underground, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking this question on the wrong board. I'm about to make my first bottle of juice and now I'm terrified that I have the wrong nicotine. The front of the bottle has '10 '/,(-)Nicotine Solution 100mg/ml'. Is that the one I should or shouldn't use? I have a few more questions on making juice, can someone let me know where I can post them?

That's perfect! 10% or 100mg nic is what most of us use. Keep away from children and pets :)

If you post your questions in the DIY forum you'll get answers to all your questions!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Always ask when you're not sure about mixing. Good move :)

VU Sponsors