Become a Patron!

RBA Questions.

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Whats going on guys,

So I just started out building my first RBA.
Just got a few questions..

1. If I were to make my own wire, I see it comes in different gauges. (20, 22, 24) What difference do they make?

2. How much cotton is TOO much cotton? Or how much cotton is TOO less?

Last question.. As for the cotton type or quantity of cotton, does it effect the flavor at all or its just the ratio of the VG/PG.

Thanks again guys, appreciate it.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Whats going on guys,

So I just started out building my first RBA.
Just got a few questions..

1. If I were to make my own wire, I see it comes in different gauges. (20, 22, 24) What difference do they make?

Thicker wire requires higher wattage to obtain adequate heat. Thicker wire also provides greater surface area, within the physical confines of an atty.

2. How much cotton is TOO much cotton? Or how much cotton is TOO less?

Too dense or too tight in the coil will restrict capillary replenishment of "wick-in-coil". Slightly smaller than the coil ID, loosely compressed, with a slight to no drag in the coil ID is a good place to start.

Last question.. As for the cotton type or quantity of cotton, does it effect the flavor at all or its just the ratio of the VG/PG. It can... you want organic or medical grade if you're looking at ball cotton from the local pharmacy.
Avoid cotton that has been processed with bleach and hydroxides. Cotton balls can be "unrolled" to provide a flat strip of cotton... the hard part is finding where that unroll starts. ;) If you're uncomfortable with pharmacy cotton... pick up some vape specific cotton from a vendor. Cotton Bacon, Fiber Freaks from France... all good stuff. So are the various organic cotton facial pads from Japan.

Thanks again guys, appreciate it.
Click on all the sigline hyperlinks below... and start reading. You'll learn a whole lot that you can't afford to not know.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Firstly-get your hands on an ohm reader. That'll ensure that you can at least build safely.
The smaller the gauge number, the thicker the wire. The thicker the wire, the lower the resistance. Assuming you're building on a 30/35 amp 18650, staying above .25 should be safe and still produce a nice warm vape. Just make sure you use an ohm's law calculator to verify that you're not exceeding your battery's amp limits. Thats when you meet disaster.
As far as cotton-most folks (myself included) prefer organic japanese cotton. When it comes to cotton-the amount going THROUGH the coil can affect performance. The amount hanging down into the juice well will only affect how much you can drip before it leaks. But too much cotton can affect the airflow in certain attys, so be mindful. Somewhere here i posted a thread about wicking with japanese cotton. I'll try and find it.

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Firstly-get your hands on an ohm reader. That'll ensure that you can at least build safely.
The smaller the gauge number, the thicker the wire. The thicker the wire, the lower the resistance. Assuming you're building on a 30/35 amp 18650, staying above .25 should be safe and still produce a nice warm vape. Just make sure you use an ohm's law calculator to verify that you're not exceeding your battery's amp limits. Thats when you meet disaster.
As far as cotton-most folks (myself included) prefer organic japanese cotton. When it comes to cotton-the amount going THROUGH the coil can affect performance. The amount hanging down into the juice well will only affect how much you can drip before it leaks. But too much cotton can affect the airflow in certain attys, so be mindful. Somewhere here i posted a thread about wicking with japanese cotton. I'll try and find it.

Damn, probably making my own wire would be difficult for me. Seems complicated

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It's just a lot of pretty simple things to learn. Once you learn to do things safely then it's a LOT of fun. Here's a great video on batteries:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're building the subtank RBA (which is what I think you have) you'll probably want to use either 26 or 28 gauge wire. Anything thicker is hard to trap under those screws!

VU Sponsors