Become a Patron!

RDA coil/wire question....

Pat Inman

Member For 4 Years
Help! I've got 3 RDA's all with holes in the pos/neg posts for the wire, my problem is that regardless of wire gauge, tightening down the bolts to where my ohm meter is stable will cut the wire! Ack! All that time and effort making perfect micro coils wasted!
How tight does it actually need to be? Can someone give my pointers please?

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A lot of rdas have pointed tips on their screws. Cutting of wire is a common problem. Most of the time they only need to be snugged down where the wire won't pull out of the post. You don't need to go gorilla strength on them. I usually give a little tighten when I change cotton just to make sure.

Pat Inman

Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I'm just going off the assumption that flickering readout on my ohm meter means a short and that I need to tighten it up more (got that info off a Grimmgreen video).

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The best way to judge when they are tight getting enough is when you see the coil start to pull upwards as you tighten down. Once it does you are reaching the point of tight enough. Do a light test pull and see if it is snug. If not give it a few more twists and check as you go.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a possibility that the meter is the issue. Just a thought

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
thanks for the information above. I had the same problem and ended up using the screw top which is a pain but works. Will try the light method instead of muscle one

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Take the screws out & with a flat screw driver about the size of the post hole ream the hole out. It will get any sharp metal away from that hole. Tighten the screws snug.
thanks for the information above. I had the same problem and ended up using the screw top which is a pain but works. Will try the light method instead of muscle one

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Saddletramp for the tip...

YardByrd

Member For 4 Years
CAW! I recently was reminded about the idea of "wire capture" while attaching a negative connector to my AGA T2. Since then I always think of "capturing wires" -whatever I'm building- and like Saddletramp120 said snug fit instead of tight. It seems, since then, many issues I've experienced in the past have evaporated. I also look at cut ends, after connecting wire, and if there are some too small to even reach and snip to my satisfaction (depending on the device) I will bend them up, and if I have enough wire, onto the top of the screw and lightly mold it in place with a small flathead screwdriver. I know some who actually leave enough wire to insure it will fit about halfway across the top of the connector screw and do this every time they build. I hope this helps. CAW!

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
What about using washers to trap the wire ? You can even get copper ones .

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I
What about using washers to trap the wire ? You can even get copper ones .
have seen the washer thing in a video seemed like a good idea

Pat Inman

Member For 4 Years
Thanx for all the advice! Just snugged the wires on this last build, not super confident with it but seems to be working!

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As long as you don't overtighten, good and snug is all you need. Use the thickest gauge kanthal that you can fit in there. It only needs to make a solid connection, and not be prone to coming loose. That said, i always use wrap around the space between the posts and the screw heads where possible, although that can sometimes be just a little tricky on tighter builds.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanx for all the advice! Just snugged the wires on this last build, not super confident with it but seems to be working!

Aussie gave ya (all) good advice at post #3. Take a fine file or sandpaper to the tips of those screws. First thing you do with a new device or screws and you'll lose most of those heartaches. For reals.

(Sometimes ya just have to set 'em down good and tight or you'll be suffering dry hits all night and day.)

Good luck.

:)

VU Sponsors