Become a Patron!

RDA cotton help plz...noob here

Hello, I am trying to build my own coils, I'm told by my local vape shop I've got good looking coils, the ohms read between .15 and .25 on my mod and I'm vaping at between 90 and 120 watts. I've tried Kanthal 26g didn't like it so local vape shop gave me Nichrome 80 24g but said I would like stainless steel better. I have cotton bacon. I'm using smok tfv8 rda ( not the baby one), the one that came with my tank.

I make the coils, strum, and squeeze until they heat even from center out. I put cotton in and thin the sides out with my tweezers, juice it up and fire it a couple of times ( and still add juice as I do it ). Last few coil sets I've made worked great for about 5-12 hours then they start to taste nasty. Is it the cotton? I want fig this out prebuilt coils are causing me to go broke.

Oh I can take pics of what I built if that will help.

Thank you so much!!

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Hello, I am trying to build my own coils, I'm told by my local vape shop I've got good looking coils, the ohms read between .15 and .25 on my mod and I'm vaping at between 90 and 120 watts. I've tried Kanthal 26g didn't like it so local vape shop gave me Nichrome 80 24g but said I would like stainless steel better. I have cotton bacon. I'm using smok tfv8 rda ( not the baby one), the one that came with my tank.

I make the coils, strum, and squeeze until they heat even from center out. I put cotton in and thin the sides out with my tweezers, juice it up and fire it a couple of times ( and still add juice as I do it ). Last few coil sets I've made worked great for about 5-12 hours then they start to taste nasty. Is it the cotton? I want fig this out prebuilt coils are causing me to go broke.

Oh I can take pics of what I built if that will help.

Thank you so much!!

Welcome!

If you are using super sweet juices and or dark juices it can wreck cotton pretty quickly. Did you have this issue with the pre-built coils? I change my cotton sometimes once a day, mostly every other day.

Pics would help for sure.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use Muji cotton pads. Unfortunately, I am not returning to using Rayon fully. The Muji cotton seems to work out a bit nicer for me. Still like Rayon but also like the cotton. It's a preference issue though, not much else.

Thicker VG concentrated juice can also foul coils up. You might try replacing cotton as suggested, but also throw in a little session of dry firing your coil/s to clean off gunk. That usually does well for me. Again, it's kind of preference based, what you consider cruddy coils I might think look okay. Yes, there are times when a 'anyone looking at says it's crud', exists. Those obvious times wouldn't be disputed.

Then too PG can cause fouling in that it lets the juice get too hot too quick. You'll find a balance that suits you as far as juice ratios go. I currently enjoy max VG and don't mind do a little extra babying of a coil to get it clean, others might. Well, they got their vape, I got mine. :)

I fully agree on getting a new rda, just want to figure this out before I spend the money on one :) Currently I'm vaping Gorilla Warfare and looking at bottle and searching on web I cannot find pg vg ratio. Maybe I try different cottons, rayon, Japanese org cotton pads, etc and find a juice with 50/50 ratio. For more taste I would find something with higher VG.

Would the rda be that huge of an issue? Just to get the jist of this building coils I mean. If it is, what is recommended?

Huge thank you!!

Oh and my prebuilts last my hubby and I roughly 1 - 1/2 week each, we vape totally different juice and different taste, he like fruit n I prefer more "deserty" food stuff. Right now it's frosted flakes, last time it was lemon cookie.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Higher VG doesn't give more/better taste, it does make the juice sweeter on its own, in most cases you can cut the sweetener when diy'ing, but VG also increases cloud production and in fact if not done correctly, high VG can even mute and fate juices quicker. Everything is smoother with VG tho.

Your juice is 70 VG and 30 PG by the way, or at least if we can trust the accuracy of online vendors that sell juices lol

Get some kendo vape cotton gold edition or platinum wicks, and some stainless steel coils if that's what you want. I never tried nichrome wouldn't know if it gives nasty aftertaste.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh and my prebuilts last my hubby and I roughly 1 - 1/2 week each, we vape totally different juice and different taste, he like fruit n I prefer more "deserty" food stuff. Right now it's frosted flakes, last time it was lemon cookie.

90 Watts on a 50-50 pg/vg ratio? No wonder your shit taste nasty after a couple of hits... juice too thin my friend...

I BAM

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just use Japanese Organic Cotton Pads. Like the ladies use for makeup.

A few years ago, I purchased a lifetime supply for $5 including S&H from Amazon.

Think I recently purchased a lifetime supply on FastTech for about $8. It's a little more expensive simply for the Muji name I think. It's a very nice and clean organic cotton.

I even at times roll up the outer 'skin' layers of the pads as they're so nice. :) Most videos I see folks set aside and toss out those layers. These layers are still cotton merely woven and pressed tight, I see no problem using them.

That $8 gets me 180 piece of the common sized pads, 60 mm by 50 mm. I can get four to six good wicks from each pad, sometimes more. For me, such is due to preening over creating the wicks a bit.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Would the rda be that huge of an issue? Just to get the jist of this building coils I mean. If it is, what is recommended?

I have some nerve issues as well as on-setting osteoarthritis. Took that into account learning to build. I started with Velocity V2 clones and they are 22 mm in diameter decks. Velocity's are also very forgiving with spacious holes to put wire into. Some people suggest Velocity style posts will not accommodate stuff like fused Clapton, Alien wire. Found no real problems in that myself.

I then switched up a bit to try an 18 mm deck. That was the wrong direction for me. *chuckles* I had no patience for fidgeting with stuff as tiny as that required. It also fouled up my hands bad for about three or four days after building on. So, I like 22 mm to 24 mm diameter sized decks.

This is written presuming you're looking to get into building and not using pre-built coils or coil head assemblies. If I misread what you were intending my apologies. The point is to find something which gives you choice yet offers the comfort of some basic structure.

I went right from using dual coil builds to using single coil builds in a NaRDA clone, again the deck is 22 mm diameter. A friend posted doing dual coil builds on a NaRDA type of deck. He shows off at times though. *grin*

The sizes of the caps for RDA can offer a spectrum of varying tastes, good and bad, in between. I get more flavor on the NaRDA type of decks, they usually have low top caps which compresses the vapor until you vape it. That has to do with volume and such, works out but it's yet another for considering in what you want.

Not trying to offer too vague a response here for you. Understand though vaping is highly subjective. Lots of times what works for Joe Bloe works for me, other times it doesn't. You'll find it the same as you go along. No one has the set in stone 'RIGHT WAY' to vape, the right way is the way that is right for you. :) All the different RDAs and tanks won't matter once you find your way, you'll have what you need then.

90 Watts on a 50-50 pg/vg ratio? No wonder your shit taste nasty after a couple of hits... juice too thin my friend...

What I'm vaping now is 70/30, I'm guessing from estorm's posting, but I'll use that as my starting point(70/30) versus 50/50?
What I'm taking away from all of yous help is I should is I should really just get a better tank, try different vg/pg juice ratios, and a couple diff cotton types till I fig out what I like.

At least I have great suggestions on how and where to start! I truly appreciate all of the help and advice, thank you.

Understand though vaping is highly subjective. Lots of times what works for Joe Bloe works for me, other times it doesn't. You'll find it the same as you go along.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What I'm vaping now is 70/30, I'm guessing from estorm's posting, but I'll use that as my starting point(70/30) versus 50/50?
What I'm taking away from all of yous help is I should is I should really just get a better tank, try different vg/pg juice ratios, and a couple diff cotton types till I fig out what I like.

At least I have great suggestions on how and where to start! I truly appreciate all of the help and advice, thank you.

50-50 is too thin to vape on a higher wattage!
You meant RDA?

I BAM

I believe I meant RTA, not one I have to put juice on after every few puffs. I apologize for lack of proper term, they mess me up.

2 kids and mini farm, all theses terms make my head swim. MTL RTA BVC HOB FUBAR...I can and have done surgery on a chicken though :)

I found the Vandy Vape Kylin, read it's fairly good for beginners. I do like the option of single or dual coils. So I can start with single and get things figured out before going to dual and I don't have to buy another tank.

You meant RDA?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe I meant RTA, not one I have to put juice on after every few puffs. I apologize for lack of proper term, they mess me up.

2 kids and mini farm, all theses terms make my head swim. MTL RTA BVC HOB FUBAR...I can and have done surgery on a chicken though :)

I found the Vandy Vape Kylin, read it's fairly good for beginners. I do like the option of single or dual coils. So I can start with single and get things figured out before going to dual and I don't have to buy another tank.

Ahhhh.... ok ok ok ok
Yeah, get a better rta (REBUILDABLE TANK ATOMIZER), if you dont wick a rta the right way you will have shitty flavor and you will burn your cotton, and that’s why you had nasty flavor...

I still have RTAS in my collection, but I don’t use em anymore since I’m not on the go vaper anymore, I pretty much vape at home aka bathroom! Lol!
Watch ytube vids

I BAM

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile

If you want single, get the kylin mini. The regular kylin has immense issues even after new decks got shipped out. If you plan on dual and want to stick with vandy vape, the kensei would be your friend. Then again there's plenty of single coil as well as dual coil options from different and good manufacturers as well.

A RTA is not for dripping, that's an RDA you're talking about. And even that could be erased with buying a regulated squonk mod, that's kinda dripping without actually dripping but bottle squeezing if that makes sense lol.

An RTA you build either single or/and dual, wick it, prime it, place tank above, fill and call it a day, I rewick mine every week or two depending what I vape, replacing coils every month or two, again depending on the juice you're vaping and how often you clean your coils etc.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
  • If you're using cheap Chinese crap wire after you pulse it 3-4 times wash it then pulse again and strum
  • Before handling the cotton wash your hands, even the oils from your hands will give cotton some nastiness

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Before handling the cotton wash your hands, even the oils from your hands will give cotton some nastiness

Uh huh. That's the only drawback to cotton for me over rayon. For whatever reasoning it seems rayon won't pick up from hands, or if it does it's not noticeable.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Uh huh. That's the only drawback to cotton for me over rayon. For whatever reasoning it seems rayon won't pick up from hands, or if it does it's not noticeable.
Can't stand Rayon, gives me a dry throat and contrary to popular belief it has a taste, it tastes like shit.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I can wear gloves, always have surgical gloves on hand. I'm not set on Vandy Vape just want a good beginner RTA, was recommended Digiflavor Siren 2 and have read about the Merlin.

Is there a benefit to single coil vs dual coil when getting first RTA ( using the proper lingo now ;) ) ?

VU Sponsors