Become a Patron!

RDA for clouds, and flavor?

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know that typically you sacrifice flavor for clouds, but I was wondering if there are any RDA's out there that offer clouds as well as flavor.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
depends on your palate sophistication, i suppose...
me, with the dark horse wide open, i might as well be vaping unflavored vg with nic. cant get much flavor with it closed down either...
the doge is the same way full open, but, closed down it supplies better flavor than the dark horse...
my taste buds arent as sophisticated as a lot of folks out there, and dont respond to the citing of more heat elicits more flavor...
you may or may not have the same genetic issues with being able to discern taste, so, relying on someone elses opinion is going to be a crap shoot at best, IMO:D... there are well over 100 rda's out there and its a good bet every one of them is in possession by the masses on this forum...
coil, wick, distance vapor travels, how condensed it stays, how fast it cools and starts to condense are just a few considerations in your quest...
its out there...somewhere...i know it is:):)

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's a lot to take in lol.
*mind blown*
with that mind set...now you are better armed for your quest...
folks more experienced than i will be along shortly...

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Here are some that come to mind:
  • Plume Veil
  • Tugboat
  • Zenith
  • Veritas
You're right, typically you sacrifice one for the other: flavor or clouds...you usually can't have both. However, those listed above are consistently ranked among great flavor RDAs that also produce good vapor.

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I did have a Plume Veil clone that I liked. I melted the insulator that goes around the positive posts. A friend of mine has a Veritas that I like pretty well and I know its' received good reviews. Never tried out a Tugboat or Zenith...

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I did have a Plume Veil clone that I liked.

I want to get a Plume Veil, but all the clones I've seen have the same problem: the Delrin insulator @ the drip tip becomes very loose when you try to adjust top airflow. Did yours have that issue? What brand clone was it?

I have the Tugboat v2 (clone), and it's a solid RDA. Short chamber w/ conical cap makes for some good flavor. The build deck is nice and deep also, you can really load it up with juice.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Best RDAs for me:

- Big Dripper (yes, it works as a straight RDA too)
- Manta v2

Both produce fantastic flavor and big clouds, and the latter don't kill the former.

In the small RDAs department, the humble Smok Dripper RDA with the air hole enlarged to 3 mm works great.

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I want to get a Plume Veil, but all the clones I've seen have the same problem: the Delrin insulator @ the drip tip becomes very loose when you try to adjust top airflow. Did yours have that issue? What brand clone was it?

I have the Tugboat v2 (clone), and it's a solid RDA. Short chamber w/ conical cap makes for some good flavor. The build deck is nice and deep also, you can really load it up with juice.
I threw a chuff cap on mine after I got it, so I didn't have the issue with the delrin insulator by the drip tip. It worked great when it worked. I couldn't tell you what brand clone it was because I bought it from a friend. It was slightly used but not much at all. What happened with mine was I melted the insulator holding the positive posts, probably from running hot builds on it. Once that happened the positive post would spin when I would build on it and the positive posts would slide up and down thus sliding the 510 pin up and down. But like I said, when it worked it worked great! I've also heard that Infinite makes pretty solid clones. I'm thinking about getting a Veritas from them.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It's not so much the RDA, but the airflow, build of the coil, the wick, and the juice you're using. I get real good flavor and clouds w/ "just" a Trident single coil. In general, you get more clouds w/ high VG juices.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here are some that come to mind:
  • Plume Veil
  • Tugboat
  • Zenith
  • Veritas
You're right, typically you sacrifice one for the other: flavor or clouds...you usually can't have both. However, those listed above are consistently ranked among great flavor RDAs that also produce good vapor.
I wouldn't go to a cloud chasing competition with any of them, but they do provide some good flavor with reasonable amount of vapor.

msjs91011

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use the dark horse wide open at 50 watts .34 ohm and get great flavor and decent clouds but I have no clue what the makeup of my fluid is... I use 9mg Ice by Criss Cross.

Derty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm sure this is quite dead and not positive why its up buuuut....

Since i have yet to dive into anything regulated over 15 watts i drip on my mech. My 2 favorite drippers are my Plume Veil *v1* and my Taurus RDA.

Plume: i filed the cyclops vents just a bit and have my 'top' vents half opened *thread wise... if you have one you'll understand* and the flavor seemed to explode at .4-.5 ohms.

Taurus: this sucker really does look like the hobo brother of a patriot. It looks aesthetically similar but lacks the top fins and in place of the phoenix it's the symbol for the taurus constellation. Got it for my birthday... guess what i am lol. It originally came with ONE tiny TINY TINY hole opposite the taurus logo so i popped 2x 2mm vent holes on either side *NOT on the taurus logo* this sucker actually performs VERY well. I can either go quad on it... with some really PITA building and get great vapor or go dual and get great flavor. not awesome, not plume awesome but great.

all that crap said i also occasionally build an 'old style' coil for S&G and run it for a good month before going back to micro coils. Just something different i suppose.

I also noticed the Plume has a slightly smaller deck, so you cant juice the ass out of it without leaking. for those with issues pertaining to the 'T' moving, screw in the bottom. i mean it. put the t where you want it and screw in the flat head connector and it SHOULD get snug again.

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I ended up getting another Plume Veil. I would still like to try some of the others you all have mentioned.

I've been doing this ridiculous build in my Plume. 24g kanthal, dual parallel wrapped 12 times around a 2 mm screwdriver (24 wraps on each coil). It comes out to about .27 ohms. It's nuts! Tons of flavor and clouds!

Derty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds pretty cool. I currently have a quad setup in my Taurus, 26g .25ohms

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A plume veil with a chuff cap has been my ADV for months now. Ive used it on a serial 18650 mech box, running dual, 12wrap, 24ga, 3mm, @.5ohm; now on a sigelei 150 watt doing all kinds of funky builds. My only gripe? I love the bottom airflow, but it makes it really prone to leaking, oh well. The flavor is top notch.

I have a dark horse and its not bad, but it doesnt cut the mustard where flavor is concerned. Building on its a pain in the ass, since the chamber reduces to compensate for the airflow ring, the inside diameter is smaller meaning you have to back your coil way back from the airholes, which is bad for flavor in my experience.

Im really looking at something like the holmes rda or even the silverplay tank. I really want a tank and dont want to rush into my purchase like I did with my orchid or magma, only to be disappointed with the restrictive draw. Airflow is king, since very few tanks DONT have a restrictive airflow compared to a plumeveil.

montijo505

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The derringer is awesome! I have a clone and it chucks and has awesome flavor cuz the chamber is tiny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The derringer looks interesting..

Wern314

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ever since I bought my Vertex V2 I haven't looked back. I got it with flavor in mind but was impressed by the vapor it put out. What I like most about it is how the airflow creates a vortex which keeps the Vape surprisingly cool for the builds I've put in it. Flavor is incredible.

Derty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ever since I bought my Vertex V2 I haven't looked back. I got it with flavor in mind but was impressed by the vapor it put out. What I like most about it is how the airflow creates a vortex which keeps the Vape surprisingly cool for the builds I've put in it. Flavor is incredible.

How are the post holes? Was considering getting one. I wasn't sure if it would hold a 26g quad build

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My favorite for balance of clouds and flavor is my plume veil. I have two clones now. one is two 26 guage micro coils @0.5ohms. my other is a dual coil 26ga parallel build @.037ohms (my favorite)

I didnt like my veritas, I ended up selling it, it was a pain to build on

i also have a derrenger clone on a praxis mod clone, it is a pretty decent set up for flavor/clouds. I ordered a 2nd one too that I will do a ni200 build on when I get my dna40

Last edited:

Derty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My favorite for balance of clouds and flavor is my plume veil. I have two clones now. one is two 26 guage micro coils @0.5ohms. my other is a dual coil 26ga parallel build @.037ohms (my favorite)

I didnt like my veritas, I ended up selling it, it was a pain to build on

i also have a derrenger clone on a praxis mod clone, it is a pretty decent set up for flavor/clouds. I ordered a 2nd one two that I will do a ni200 build on when I get my dna40
Do you run your quad with the T straight or angled? Currently have mine straight, was considering trying angled to see if the coil air flow behaved differently

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do you run your quad with the T straight or angled? Currently have mine straight, was considering trying angled to see if the coil air flow behaved differently

straight

Wern314

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How are the post holes? Was considering getting one. I wasn't sure if it would hold a 26g quad build

The post holes are 2mm looking at it now so you would have plenty of room for your 26g quad build. Mine is a clone I purchased from Angelcigs for $9.67 but I do have a few gripes on mine. First the post screws were garbage and stripped out in like a week so I swapped screws from one of my other RDA's. Second the drip tip connection is a bit to wide so all my tips were wobbly, I had to put thicker o-rings on my tips to
make them fit snug. Other than those couple negatives this RDA is phenomenal.

Hopefully there's other clones out there without any issues. I'm too cheap to buy authenticates although this one looks to
Be around $90 bucks which isn't bad.

About the airflow I copied this description from the manufacturer;
"Slotted Cyclops airflow always brings the best vape, but chasing better vapor production in a small extremely flavorful package is a task. To address this, a total of 6 Air slots outfit the atty. The air slots are cut to different thickness, to effect low pressure, and high pressure at different placements inside the RDA, creating a true adjustable vortex effect, by modifying the air speed.

The full effect is a coil that has more air pass over its surface area at the correct speeds and placement, low pressure at the bulk of the coil, high pressure above and below to pull the vapor away from it."

The airflow is like no other atomizer I've ever used and the best by far. I can't really explain it but when you vape on it you will understand.

Derty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The post holes are 2mm looking at it now so you would have plenty of room for your 26g quad build. Mine is a clone I purchased from Angelcigs for $9.67 but I do have a few gripes on mine. First the post screws were garbage and stripped out in like a week so I swapped screws from one of my other RDA's. Second the drip tip connection is a bit to wide so all my tips were wobbly, I had to put thicker o-rings on my tips to
make them fit snug. Other than those couple negatives this RDA is phenomenal.

Hopefully there's other clones out there without any issues. I'm too cheap to buy authenticates although this one looks to
Be around $90 bucks which isn't bad.

About the airflow I copied this description from the manufacturer;
"Slotted Cyclops airflow always brings the best vape, but chasing better vapor production in a small extremely flavorful package is a task. To address this, a total of 6 Air slots outfit the atty. The air slots are cut to different thickness, to effect low pressure, and high pressure at different placements inside the RDA, creating a true adjustable vortex effect, by modifying the air speed.

The full effect is a coil that has more air pass over its surface area at the correct speeds and placement, low pressure at the bulk of the coil, high pressure above and below to pull the vapor away from it."

The airflow is like no other atomizer I've ever used and the best by far. I can't really explain it but when you vape on it you will understand.

Don't feel bad, I buy clones as well. Most of my stuff is from eBay or angel lol

Derty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just can't let myself pay the 'official' price.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just can't let myself pay the 'official' price.

Very few vapers can afford to pay for authentics, so they buy clones.
Companies like infinite and cigeen have noticed this and started designing in the US, but contracting the manufacturing out to china. This business model works extremely well and benefits everyone.

Derty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Very few vapers can afford to pay for authentics, so they buy clones.
Companies like infinite and cigeen have noticed this and started designing in the US, but contracting the manufacturing out to china. This business model works extremely well and benefits everyone.
Well for myself I get what works and use it. I'm not the shiny happy vaper so it's not so much I can't afford it as I can't justify spending $200+ on a threaded tube with a button and 510 connection.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The only authentic Ill probably every buy is the one that costs 40 dollars, and even thats too much money.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am in the same boat as well @Pauly Walnuts.
Considering a mutation x, dark horse or mephestio 2.. just not sure how I want to swing it.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The derringer looks interesting..
Derringer can truly deliver both, flavor and clouds. I've been enjoying dual 24 gauge five wrap macros @ 60w, two airholes open and its perfect for my taste. For mechs i use 22 gauge to get the same experience.

VU Sponsors