Become a Patron!

Rda for clouds.

Looking at getting a rda for cloud chasing was looking at the mutation x. Until I heard the 454 was a really good cloud chasing rda what do you guys suggest.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I suggest a 400w fog machine doubt you can beat that... may cost a bit though
Stay cheap man. Get some good 30+amp batteries, a mechanical mod, and start trying rdas. Most clones are cheap at less than 20bucks, and some are much less if you are willing to wait for the slow boat from china.

You could try a mutation x, or a doge, or a 454, or a plume veil, or a tugboat, or a zenith, or a dark horse, or an atomic, or mephisto, and on and on.
Some rdas like a magma is not built for clouds and has a pretty restrictive airflow imo.
Research up man.

I have both the dark horse and the 454 both are grade A and my favorite rds's that I own but the dark horse is the end all for me with my style of vaping

bryce666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a tobh V3 , on 8.2 volt unregulated mod box i built.I have $30 in the whole thing minus the two 18650 batterys. It blows clouds like nobody's business.

Yeah I've got a vanilla mod at the moment found a plum veil clone for 25 bucks in gonna pick up and try.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Get yourself a Vulcan. Or a Doge...In my opinion, those are 2 of the top rda's out there right now. I don't know much about the Dark Horse, maybe I should pick up one of those to see for myself...

MoFasterMo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have both the dark horse and the 454 both are grade A and my favorite rds's that I own but the dark horse is the end all for me with my style of vaping
I agree. Dark Horse clone is cheap online, and is cloud crazy!!!

mommabird62

Member For 4 Years
I am normally a flavor hound but I picked up a Doge for the heck of it and it really puts out the clouds! Flavor is there as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my paws :)

Mommabird62

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can create some good fog with the Zenith, Mephisto, CLT, or the Mutation X. Even an IGO-W with Halo top cap.

The main thing is to get your coil, wicking, airflow, and power set to all work together properly. And use high VG juice.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
The main thing is to get your coil, wicking, airflow, and power set to all work together properly. And use high VG juice.

that is the key.. ^^^ i dont care what dripper you have.. i agree @havok333 :D
if it is not set up right, if your juice has any kind of pg, your air flow isn't setup..
coils low for flavor.. coils high for vapor..

if you don't have this, you won't be blowing clouds..

i find that if my set up is good, it's easier for me on my throat..
it's not that i want to blow clouds, but i am allergic to pg..
it tears my throat up something fierce and i sound like i have been to a rock fest for a month..

the dripper part of it tho.. is the coils and air flow..
if you can't drill out your holes, take it to a b&m, or a machine shop..
get some help opening it up.. ;)

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
that is the key.. ^^^ i dont care what dripper you have.. i agree @havok333 :D
if it is not set up right, if your juice has any kind of pg, your air flow isn't setup..
coils low for flavor.. coils high for vapor..

if you don't have this, you won't be blowing clouds..

i find that if my set up is good, it's easier for me on my throat..
it's not that i want to blow clouds, but i am allergic to pg..
it tears my throat up something fierce and i sound like i have been to a rock fest for a month..

the dripper part of it tho.. is the coils and air flow..
if you can't drill out your holes, take it to a b&m, or a machine shop..
get some help opening it up.. ;)
I'm with you on the pg thing. Not allergic but just don't care for throat hit at all. Makes me feel like sore throat is coming on, and I abhor that feeling.

if you can afford it I would go with the "dark horse" by steam angel, this RDA is sick. you can go to youtube and search "RiPTrippers" he has a revew of this monster

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm with you on the pg thing. Not allergic but just don't care for throat hit at all. Makes me feel like sore throat is coming on, and I abhor that feeling.
Ok, when you say coils low for flavor, do you mean that that should be in the 1.0 & up range, or should I go the other way? Just trying to nail the right range for my satisfaction....and I've been trying different kanthal to experiment with, been using the 24 ga. up to 28 ga. Not trying to blow the biggest clouds, but even with my pg/vg at the ration it is, 40/60, I am getting some admirable clouds. Just want to see if I can have my cake and eat it too.....lol...I love to experiment, but not to the danger point...

Last edited:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
no Daniel..

if you position your coils up towards the top cap, you get better clouds..
if you put them towards the floor of your dripper, you get more flavor..

at least it is that way for me.

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, when you say coils low for flavor, do you mean that that should be in the 1.0 & up range, or should I go the other way? Just trying to nail the right range for my satisfaction....and I've been trying different kanthal to experiment with, been using the 24 ga. up to 28 ga. Not trying to blow the biggest clouds, but even with my pg/vg at the ration it is, 40/60, I am getting some admirable clouds. Just want to see if I can have my cake and eat it too.....lol...I love to experiment, but not to the danger point...
Haven't built above 1 ohm in a good while. For months I had been building around the 0.3-0.5 range to use on mechanical mods but recently got a 100 watt regulated box and found I don't need to build lower than 0.5 any longer to get good clouds.

Using 0.7 ohm dual coils in a Mephisto right now with the wattage set to 45.0 so that's close to 6 volts. Airholes are wide open and two second draws are hazing up the room. Can't remember the size kanthal I used for these two month old coils but probably the 28 ga, and they are just standard contact microcoils at 1/16 inside diameter.

On mech mods I was building parallel coils at the same diameter.

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yeah i stick between .3 and .6 on mine.. parallel ;)
Have you jumped into the high wattage boxes yet? Have been amazed how much I enjoy using this thing...dual batteries so they last most of the day before needing a recharge.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
i stick with my mechs..
i haven't done vv/vw since the 1st mvp rolled out..
i wouldn't know what to do with one, havok ;)

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Looking at getting a rda for cloud chasing was looking at the mutation x. Until I heard the 454 was a really good cloud chasing rda what do you guys suggest.
Doge w/ chuff cap.

Imo I am rocking a Vulcan with drip tip on a VLS ragnarok and she be a beast loving her after I had the stingray x with a stelaire and a plume veil of your looking into box moda check out the God mod upto 180 watts I think not sure exactly but my buddies have a few and they are amazing

whitepony1986

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use a stingrayx with the hybrid adapter along with a darkhorse rda it makes monster clouds

Get yourself a Vulcan. Or a Doge...In my opinion, those are 2 of the top rda's out there right now. I don't know much about the Dark Horse, maybe I should pick up one of those to see for myself...

I think the Dark Horse and Mephisto are top notch rda's for cloud chasing, so is the vulcan but the dark horse has waaay more airflow. And the doge is okay... it hits like a f#cken train but I aint about that copper corrosion lolol -ahem stillare v2i- I think it really comes down to budget and how "committed you are"... after thats settled it shouldn't be too hard to pick. But what you know bout that sleeper Origen tho?!?!?!

VapeMastiff

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lil Boy by MCV. You get two top cap options. Comes with a massive bore standard and an adapter cap to run a standard bore drip tip. Chucks hard.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Doge is my current #1. Maybe things change when my Dark Horse arrives, dunno.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
To promote the Doge, heres some footage in a handy jpeg format.

77dab20e5399e9c6e6f7762e92f41d4c.jpg

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have fallen in love with my Doge!! The air flow is supreme and the copper center post is the bomb. I need to put a chuff cap on her, but she already blows bigger clouds than I have ever gotten from any of my other RDA's. Doge V2 in brass is on my next to buy list. love it love it love it love it! Get one, it will blow your mind.

jackssurvival

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have the darkhorse hate mine but I could get bigger clouds with my mutation x v1 at a .2 than on my darkhorse at .08 but my mutation x v2 that I got today put them both to shame no experience with the doge to compare

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Using similar wicking and similar coil position, my plume veil w/ chuff cap beats my dark horse hands down for flavor. Vapor is similar, but the plumey has set the standard for me.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have the darkhorse hate mine but I could get bigger clouds with my mutation x v1 at a .2 than on my darkhorse at .08 but my mutation x v2 that I got today put them both to shame no experience with the doge to compare
Yeah I just got in the Mutation X v2 today built some mean 20gauge coils I dear god wow is all I can say.. love the adjustable aireflow and the deck is great to build on.

T

Taver13

Yeah I just got in the Mutation X v2 today built some mean 20gauge coils I dear god wow is all I can say.. love the adjustable aireflow and the deck is great to build on.
i have a nasty dual parrallel 22gauge build in mine, and that thing is a beast,

jackssurvival

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
By far the best rda ive used so far I've got 20 .ga royal on mine but I got to compare the authentic and tobeco clone today the tobeco wins hands down the bore is wider and the chuff kicks ass

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm going to have to go with @kurtg on this one. I'm a major fan of the Dark Horse. The air flow is plentiful, and the posts have massive hiles, so building with larger wire is a breeze. I also have another one I'm fond of, but it's not strictly one RDA. I'm using a Stillare top with 4 1/32 holes added to it on a Mephisto clone deck. But that's just for the superior deck. The Stillare deck has tiny posts.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just got my Dark Horse clone. Center post spins, leaks like an sob from everywhere and im in love, already bought the authentic used from another forum.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just got my Dark Horse clone. Center post spins, leaks like an sob from everywhere and im in love, already bought the authentic used from another forum.
Nope. The leaking is just too much for me. Mod, hands, pockets, juice just goes everywhere.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a 12.00, FT RDA Think it's called PC Style, 26650 & it puts out fog banks. Out does every RDA I have by miles. Damned if I know why.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm getting a Doge X today...
yay

Little Boy, Mutation X v2, or the Airek (this one is not big named like the rest of them but it has MASSIVE airholes and MASSIVE post holes for the thicker gauge wire).

Last edited:

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can create some good fog with the Zenith, Mephisto, CLT, or the Mutation X. Even an IGO-W with Halo top cap.

Couldn't agree more :) out of all the drippers I've gotten I still find myself going back to my igo-w that I drilled out the air holes and posts on(was originally bored out when it was gifted to me but I decided to go bigger lol) their cheap and work like a champ, the mutation x v2 clone is my other go to dripper only cost me like $8 and some change on fasttech but was worth it

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Airek.. Then the Doge.

"E-Cigarette pessimists are stuck on the idea that anything that looks like smoking is bad. They're so blinded by this ideology that they are not able to see e-cigarettes objectively." -Dr. Michael Siegel

VU Sponsors