Become a Patron!

RDA Short?

kyler666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What does RDA shorting mean and how does this happen and one last question how do you know that this has happened to your RDA?

clickpiss

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What does RDA shorting mean and how does this happen and one last question how do you know that this has happened to your RDA?

It means your RDA has short-circuited. Usually caused by the cap that surrounds your deck touching your coil(s). You'll know it's happened when your mod can't detect it, or flashes at the ohm reading 0 or 9.99 etc.

Hard to say for sure until we know what RDA you have, and what mod you have.

kyler666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a mutation xv 3 ipv3 150w and eleaf e stick 100w It keeps saying low res! On both devices even though the coils aren't a low resistance

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is it a new RDA or one you have used for a while?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Take a multi-meter and check the resistance between the positive and negative post on your RDA with no wire installed. You should show an open circuit. It is easy to get a small scrap of wire shorting your positive post to ground. I've seen bad insulators on your positive terminal do it as well.

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's one that I have been using I actually bought it from a friend
Check around the pin to see if the insulator has worn. I've had a few read crazy based on that. Course I guess you have a stand alone ohm reader that doesn't read too low?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Also if the 510 pin screws in make sure its not to loose and the positive pin on the deck I wandering and the insulator in the deck side is still im good shape.

Ding

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
if using duel coils,could be wire sticking through one side and touching coil on other side,not clipped enough,screws loose.coil touching posts,base or cap,

Geo Thermal

Member For 3 Years
It means your RDA has short-circuited. Usually caused by the cap that surrounds your deck touching your coil(s). You'll know it's happened when your mod can't detect it, or flashes at the ohm reading 0 or 9.99 etc.

Hard to say for sure until we know what RDA you have, and what mod you have.
My Drop RDA reads as shorted even with no coils in it. WTF?

WillyTheMLGPro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My Drop RDA that I got like 2 days ago brand new, has been shorting too. I took the entire thing apart to clean it and it still shorts. My Bonza even started to short after about a month of use

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Check to make sure the positive pin in the 510 is sticking out far enough. Sometimes the pin is too far in causing a short from the 510 on the mod.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
There's no way your new rda is just magically shorting. Clean it with hot soapy water. Your can use just water but the soap helps bubble every thing out to the surface.

The drop is a fucking great RDA in every one's top 2017. And it's super simple to build on but, clip them leads close. I don't have one, but the build deck is cake. Now for the bonza another good RDA. Is it maybe your mod?

The mutation is crap. I have the same one. It's only good for clouds, the flavor sucks. It's too tall. I usually love 22mm rdas but this one is not very good for my vape style. I like clouds broham, but I need some flavor on there. The mutation v3 terrible flavor

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

WillyTheMLGPro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's no way your new rda is just magically shorting. Clean it with hot soapy water. Your can use just water but the soap helps bubble every thing out to the surface.

The drop is a fucking great RDA in every one's top 2017. And it's super simple to build on but, clip them leads close. I don't have one, but the build deck is cake. Now for the bonza another good RDA. Is it maybe your mod?

The mutation is crap. I have the same one. It's only good for clouds, the flavor sucks. It's too tall. I usually love 22mm rdas but this one is not very good for my vape style. I like clouds broham, but I need some flavor on there. The mutation v3 terrible flavor

I bought an entirely brand new mod and brand new batteries to test it and it shorted. I took the entire thing apart and I soaked it in hot soapy water. I let it air dry for a day before I wiped it down with a microfiber cloth.
the result: https://i.imgur.com/T7tOaSP.jpg https://i.imgur.com/LAx3y4L.jpg
I also doubt its the mod since I bought a second one to try it and it was the same. I must just be bad luck with RDAs
i should also mention, that the Drop I received that I bought brand new, the box seals were already cut and the 510 connector was damaged

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I bought an entirely brand new mod and brand new batteries to test it and it shorted. I took the entire thing apart and I soaked it in hot soapy water. I let it air dry for a day before I wiped it down with a microfiber cloth.
the result: https://i.imgur.com/T7tOaSP.jpg https://i.imgur.com/LAx3y4L.jpg
I also doubt its the mod since I bought a second one to try it and it was the same. I must just be bad luck with RDAs
i should also mention, that the Drop I received that I bought brand new, the box seals were already cut and the 510 connector was damaged
Not familiar with that rda, but it looks like it should be reading open, not shorted.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
^ on the $$. Vape gear can be quite fiddley. That's why Im liking mech and tubes the best.

Geo Thermal

Member For 3 Years
Melted/broken insulator? A post or something loose/twisted around touching ground?
A wire clipping in there shorting it out.
I finally removed the 510 pin and the positive post. Wedged under the post (between the post and the peek insulator), I found a stray clipped lead. I don't know how it got there. It must have been in contact with the negative portion of the deck. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Note to self: Make sure to retrieve all clippings.

I finally removed the 510 pin and the positive post. Wedged under the post (between the post and the peek insulator), I found a stray clipped lead. I don't know how it got there. It must have been in contact with the negative portion of the deck. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Note to self: Make sure to retrieve all clippings.

Hey man let me show you how great this thread helped me.

using Drop rda, with Vgod mech pro kit 2. Damn, i thought my battery vented, base heated up. And it was a soft short because of the wire stuck in between the post and the base

Attachments

• IMG_3864.jpg
    IMG_3864.jpg
    710.8 KB · Views: 22

Geo Thermal

Member For 3 Years

using Drop rda, with Vgod mech pro kit 2. Damn, i thought my battery vented, base heated up. And it was a soft short because of the wire stuck in between the post and the base
I've never had this problem before. Now we have 2 on the same RDA. It makes me wonder.

I've never had this problem before. Now we have 2 on the same RDA. It makes me wonder.

My good man,

I think the real problem is the users: us. We need to be more aware of these things happening. That juice well is prone to collecting stuff, and the clippings make it easier to drop and hide there... I just got a big fright with my mech, thank God nothing happened!

Thanks Mr. @cromwell! Your advice saved me.

- G

same problem here , but i cant find way to remove it, so my drop is stuck waiting for a rescue.

Attachments

• C6F7D526-8EC2-4B2E-A0E0-ED5059C5F8F8.jpeg
    C6F7D526-8EC2-4B2E-A0E0-ED5059C5F8F8.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 19

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I did the same thing on my first build on the Drop.

namklim

Member For 4 Years
same problem here , but i cant find way to remove it, so my drop is stuck waiting for a rescue.
Take the 2 screws out from the bottom side where the 510 threading is. The whole posts will come out at 2 peices and the shorting wire will come free.
I never cut my leads after I install in the drop for this exact reason. I cut first then install.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Take the 2 screws out from the bottom side where the 510 threading is. The whole posts will come out at 2 peices and the shorting wire will come free.
I never cut my leads after I install in the drop for this exact reason. I cut first then install.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
thank you for your reply namklim ,i dont know if we can take the whole post out haha, so after the posts come out , apparently its not wire stuck in the posts, but a little “scratch” on the deck( i dont really know how to explain this) . Its all normal now thank you so much

VU Sponsors