Become a Patron!

RDAs... how long do you make wick "tails"?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I mostly build RTAs and each one is different with wicking (and critical) How much does it matter for RDAs? Not how much to pull through the coil (I'm good at that) but how much extra to leave. Just touch the bottom of the RDA or leave a bunch down in the juice well? Does it even matter or is it different depending on the RDA?
I've been lazy and using "drop-in" coils a lot... time to get my rebuilding going in high gear (I also have small RBAs but they are just like RTAs)

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I mostly build RTAs and each one is different with wicking (and critical) How much does it matter for RDAs? Not how much to pull through the coil (I'm good at that) but how much extra to leave. Just touch the bottom of the RDA or leave a bunch down in the juice well? Does it even matter or is it different depending on the RDA?
I've been lazy and using "drop-in" coils a lot... time to get my rebuilding going in high gear (I also have small RBAs but they are just like RTAs)
I thin them out and brush them straight then cut so they are long enough to be touching the deck and able to wick anything up

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@mreeveshp , thank you. I do "thin" wick tails but not too much (don't forget the undertickle... Mike Vapes joke) So what I'm thinking is... just enough (maybe a bit more) to touch the deck, but some people leave a bunch and stuff much of the juice well, but doesn't that also restrict overall air flow? Even if the air holes don't go that low (below the coil) It seems like the extra wick just gets in the way.
Sidenote: I also have rayon that I use in some small RTAs.

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@mreeveshp , thank you. I do "thin" wick tails but not too much (don't forget the undertickle... Mike Vapes joke) So what I'm thinking is... just enough (maybe a bit more) to touch the deck, but some people leave a bunch and stuff much of the juice well, but doesn't that also restrict overall air flow? Even if the air holes don't go that low (below the coil) It seems like the extra wick just gets in the way.
Sidenote: I also have rayon that I use in some small RTAs.
I've seen people that curl them all the way under the coils which puts a pot of wick on the deck but I've always had better luck just touching, maybe a bit more, like you said. I feel like it wicks quicker and gets better flavor, and I know there are a lot of variables that can change that but it's the way i was taught and have been doing for years. I'd be interested to see what some others might say

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've seen people that curl them all the way under the coils which puts a pot of wick on the deck but I've always had better luck just touching, maybe a bit more, like you said. I feel like it wicks quicker and gets better flavor, and I know there are a lot of variables that can change that but it's the way i was taught and have been doing for years. I'd be interested to see what some others might say

I agree, see a lot of people tucking them under the coils, but I have had no luck with that at all. It seems to give me a more turbulent and often popping wet vape which I do not like at all. I'm with you, straight down to the bottom of the deck, but no longer

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For me it can vary somewhat depending on the design of the deck and where the airflow is on the cap.
That's true I've had some that I had to wick different than what I do now, I use a loop rda all the time on top of a geek vape aegis l200. My loop deck is very different from any of the other rdas that I still have, but I stick to it because I like the flavor, I used to buy new mods and new rdas rtas rdtas etc all the time but got tiree of spending that much. I just got the l200 a few months back replacing a very old worn out ijoy diamond

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So... this is ironic ;) I was building a RDA today (normally a dual coil) and tried to use a single large (4mm) coil (some people suggested this) That's why I remember seeing someone use long wick "tails" and curve them around the juice well (there is no where else to put the wick) Anyway... someone gave me this RDA (used) andit had issues before... I think the positive PEEK insulator is messed up (don't care... it was free) I am happy this reminded me of why some people do this (single coil in dual coil deck) Moving on...
Sidenote: my next build is a brand new Cthulho Mods Mjolnir RDA (try to pronounce that LOL) I really like how it looks (I mean the design)

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So... this is ironic ;) I was building a RDA today (normally a dual coil) and tried to use a single large (4mm) coil (some people suggested this) That's why I remember seeing someone use long wick "tails" and curve them around the juice well (there is no where else to put the wick) Anyway... someone gave me this RDA (used) andit had issues before... I think the positive PEEK insulator is messed up (don't care... it was free) I am happy this reminded me of why some people do this (single coil in dual coil deck) Moving on...
Sidenote: my next build is a brand new Cthulho Mods Mjolnir RDA (try to pronounce that LOL) I really like how it looks (I mean the design)
I've never got as good flavor with a single coil as I do with a dual coil but that's just me. I've heard good things about the mjolnir, it's one of the ones that's on my list to maybe replace the loop I've been using for years, plus it looks cool to me. If I do replace my loop I'd like to find something that's bigger circumference just because of how the geek vape aegis l200 makes everything look small. There are a couple large tanks like the Osiris 30mm or even the aromamizer titan that I have thought about getting since they are bigger than my dead rabbit 25mm rta

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When using rayon that's how they recommend you wick, tight in the coil, long thin tails that depending on the base of the rta/rda may or may not wrap around the base.

VU Sponsors