Become a Patron!

Ready wires

cobalt327

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Are you wanting them because the overall length using resistance wire drives the resistance up too high? Using a larger diameter (smaller gauge number) can help sometimes. Anyway I have a wire welder and wire, if you give me the length and gauge of the resistance wire and the same specs for the non resistance tails, I'll be glad to whip you out a couple dozen for free.

Disregard this if it's of no use to you.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Wow, awesome offer Cobalt!

I just want to build it right. I'm thinking 2 x 2-ohm coils, somewhere in the 30 ga. range with 28 ga. NR legs. If you have a better thought, I'm all ears.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Are you wanting them because the overall length using resistance wire drives the resistance up too high? Using a larger diameter (smaller gauge number) can help sometimes. Anyway I have a wire welder and wire, if you give me the length and gauge of the resistance wire and the same specs for the non resistance tails, I'll be glad to whip you out a couple dozen for free.

Disregard this if it's of no use to you.
Wow, awesome offer Cobalt!

I just want to build it right. I'm thinking 2 x 2-ohm coils, somewhere in the 30 ga. range with 28 ga. NR legs. If you have a better thought, I'm all ears.

cobalt327

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Ok, let me see what I can come up with. What ID for the coils, and how long do the tails need to be? I'll be able to get a start on these Monday, I'll let you know something after I do a few.

ETA- What are you using for wick? I know that a lot of people use cotton of one type or another. I really like rayon myself.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Ok, let me see what I can come up with. What ID for the coils, and how long do the tails need to be? I'll be able to get a start on these Monday, I'll let you know something after I do a few.

ETA- What are you using for wick? I know that a lot of people use cotton of one type or another. I really like rayon myself.

I've got every kind of wick you could want, but I, too, like rayon. I typically spin it into yarn for this tank. Prolly a 1.5 mm id. That's what fits in the Ithaka slots. Tails of about an inch should be fine. Longer, I can snip. Shorter, I begin to fret.

Where did you get your welder?

cobalt327

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
1.5mm ID w/1"-plus tails, got it. I made my welder, used a disposable camers flash circuit w/additional caps. The build was based on the "Sparkomatic" posted by a guy, Breaktru. You can google for more info, the short story is it's relatively easy to build, costs about $20.00 US give or take.

WIRE WELDER 1.jpg

Now, I've seen tutorials that shows the wires coiled around the cotton wicks before actually installing them onto the atty. Ever tried that? Not trying to get out of making you some coils, just wondering.

At 14:30 the P.Busardo video below shows an example of this kind of build:

Last edited:

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
1.5mm ID w/1"-plus tails, got it. I made my welder, used a disposable camers flash circuit w/additional caps. The build was based on the "Sparkomatic" posted by a guy, Breaktru. You can google for more info, the short story is it's relatively easy to build, costs about $20.00 US give or take.

View attachment 20658

Now, I've seen tutorials that shows the wires coiled around the cotton wicks before actually installing them onto the atty. Ever tried that? Not trying to get out of making you some coils, just wondering.

At 14:30 the P.Busardo video below shows an example of this kind of build:
I've tried both methods of coiling - wick in and wick after. It's not the wicking that's killing me. It's the twisting the %_€€=×£¥×₩ wires that's killing me.

I'll look up those welder plans... thanks.

VU Sponsors