Become a Patron!

Real Flavors flavorings?

Howard Hughes

the way of the future....
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone ever used any flavorings from Real Flavors out of Troy, Michigan?
They're supposed to be all VG-based (palm rather than soy).

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got some Real Flavors in but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I bought from this place to get smaller sizes: http://gremlindiy.com/flavors/real-flavors/ EXC also carries Real Flavors but they rename them NorthWest VG and can be found here: http://www.ecigexpress.com/shop/diy-e-liquid/diy-e-liquid-flavors/north-west-vg-flavors.html

The Pink Candy or Pink Burst depending on were you buy it is supposed to be real good. I have heard good things about there Vanilla Custard and Cream so I picked up about 6 flavors to give them a shot.

They have a decent deal if you buy directly from them, 25% off but the smallest bottle they carry is 2oz. You can find the deal here: https://www.realflavors.com/pages/welcome-elr-friends

I am going to try a all VG recipe using there flavors and VG nic out of curiosity, I will let you know how it turns out.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just got some Real Flavors in but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I bought from this place to get smaller sizes: http://gremlindiy.com/flavors/real-flavors/ EXC also carries Real Flavors but they rename them NorthWest VG and can be found here: http://www.ecigexpress.com/shop/diy-e-liquid/diy-e-liquid-flavors/north-west-vg-flavors.html

The Pink Candy or Pink Burst depending on were you buy it is supposed to be real good. I have heard good things about there Vanilla Custard and Cream so I picked up about 6 flavors to give them a shot.

They have a decent deal if you buy directly from them, 25% off but the smallest bottle they carry is 2oz. You can find the deal here: https://www.realflavors.com/pages/welcome-elr-friends

I am going to try a all VG recipe using there flavors and VG nic out of curiosity, I will let you know how it turns out.
Hello mjag, Please keep us posted on these. I saw Bread Pudding on their menu. That sounds so tempting. :)

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made up the 100% VG mix yesterday, my first by the way. I used Pink Candy (Pink Burst) at 5% and as a shake n vape wasn't too impressed but it was so thick I decided to add 5% Distilled Water to thin the VG a little. That made it better and it does taste like a Starburst candy but it was a little weak. I decided to add 2 drops of 25% Stevia solution in a VG base and let it steep overnight. Much better today but I am thinking to try this again with my normal 70vg 30pg mix, I am thinking that will bring out the flavor even more.

Going to try the Vanilla Custard next but I have read it needs at least a week to steep. Will try and get all the flavors I got into a test mix today if I can, if not then it might take awhile since next week is brutally busy.

All the flavors I got smell real good but not too strong so I am guessing the percentage range will be 3 to 10% range.

Now I wish I got the Bread Pudding that you mentioned it Jimi, if these tests go well then it will be in the next order.

I just noticed they have a 12 flavor sample pack on the site for $30. Only 2 drams each sample, I think that is the same bottles wizard labs uses for there 8ml. With that coupon code it will be about $1.90 a bottle + shipping. https://www.realflavors.com/collections/sample-packs/products/48-flavor-sample-pack

I am going to set up to try what I have today, if that goes well then a sample pack will be in my future as they have some good sounding flavors, looking for a good coffee cake and french toast.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I made up the 100% VG mix yesterday, my first by the way. I used Pink Candy (Pink Burst) at 5% and as a shake n vape wasn't too impressed but it was so thick I decided to add 5% Distilled Water to thin the VG a little. That made it better and it does taste like a Starburst candy but it was a little weak. I decided to add 2 drops of 25% Stevia solution in a VG base and let it steep overnight. Much better today but I am thinking to try this again with my normal 70vg 30pg mix, I am thinking that will bring out the flavor even more.

Going to try the Vanilla Custard next but I have read it needs at least a week to steep. Will try and get all the flavors I got into a test mix today if I can, if not then it might take awhile since next week is brutally busy.

All the flavors I got smell real good but not too strong so I am guessing the percentage range will be 3 to 10% range.

Now I wish I got the Bread Pudding that you mentioned it Jimi, if these tests go well then it will be in the next order.

I just noticed they have a 12 flavor sample pack on the site for $30. Only 2 drams each sample, I think that is the same bottles wizard labs uses for there 8ml. With that coupon code it will be about $1.90 a bottle + shipping. https://www.realflavors.com/collections/sample-packs/products/48-flavor-sample-pack

I am going to set up to try what I have today, if that goes well then a sample pack will be in my future as they have some good sounding flavors, looking for a good coffee cake and french toast.
Thanks mjag :) Are the flavorings diluted or 100% VG? I would think they would be tough to mix if the compounds would separate.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks mjag :) Are the flavorings diluted or 100% VG? I would think they would be tough to mix if the compounds would separate.

I think the Pink Burst had a little alcohol, it was harsh as a shake n vape but smoother today. I decided to look at the website and found this:

https://www.realflavors.com/pages/flavor-usage-faq

The 2 things that caught my attention were:

Do your flavors contain alcohols?
Yes and No. We try to remove as much as can during the flavor making process. The amount in the end product is very some. Sometimes so low it does not show up on testing at all.

If these are all VG extracts, why are they not super thick?
When we extract or create a flavor, it will have some elements added that may result in a thinning of the VG. This makes the flavor closer to the viscosity of PG and is not as thick as raw VG.

I hear VG Flavors are harder to work with? You have to use more!
VG flavors contain more of the actual flavor ingredients than others companies use in their PG based ones. Depending the application remember, heat is your friend. VG becomes thinner at 40C, and starts to blend at its best at 60C. If you are making an infused product, it is always best to let the blend sit overnight (or longer). This will allow the mixture to homogenize completely.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think the Pink Burst had a little alcohol, it was harsh as a shake n vape but smoother today. I decided to look at the website and found this:

https://www.realflavors.com/pages/flavor-usage-faq

The 2 things that caught my attention were:

Do your flavors contain alcohols?
Yes and No. We try to remove as much as can during the flavor making process. The amount in the end product is very some. Sometimes so low it does not show up on testing at all.

If these are all VG extracts, why are they not super thick?
When we extract or create a flavor, it will have some elements added that may result in a thinning of the VG. This makes the flavor closer to the viscosity of PG and is not as thick as raw VG.

I hear VG Flavors are harder to work with? You have to use more!
VG flavors contain more of the actual flavor ingredients than others companies use in their PG based ones. Depending the application remember, heat is your friend. VG becomes thinner at 40C, and starts to blend at its best at 60C. If you are making an infused product, it is always best to let the blend sit overnight (or longer). This will allow the mixture to homogenize completely.
Cool and thanks. I'll be looking into these after you taste the Vanilla Custard Lol.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am mixing right now.

Just realized before I made my first test that I had not taken the weight of VG flavors over PG flavors into account. Luckily I use this calculator: http://diyjuicecalculator.com/ and it has a new feature that calculates the weight of the ingredient based on the VG/PG percentage. It calculated the weight to be 1.249 grams per ml. I didn't do that when I made the Pink Burst test though so I actually used 4% instead of the 5% I posted earlier.

I will let you know how they turn out.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am mixing right now.

Just realized before I made my first test that I had not taken the weight of VG flavors over PG flavors into account. Luckily I use this calculator: http://diyjuicecalculator.com/ and it has a new feature that calculates the weight of the ingredient based on the VG/PG percentage. It calculated the weight to be 1.249 grams per ml. I didn't do that when I made the Pink Burst test though so I actually used 4% instead of the 5% I posted earlier.

I will let you know how they turn out.
Sounds great. Looking forward to your results. :)

Howard Hughes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys.
I haven't made up my mind yet as to whether I will give them a try. I had heard of Northwest, but did not know they were just relabeled RF.
I like thicker juices & thought that this may be the way, but I also need more flavor than some others, as well.
I look forward to hearing more about this brand.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I see a Cream Cheese flavoring too, interesting...
Might be good for the Cheesecake recipes:D

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vaping the Vanilla Custard right now, based on suggestions I found of others who used it I mixed it at 8% in a 70/30 mix. Only a day steeping but it is already not as harsh as a shake n vape. I should probably let this steep for a week but I can never wait :D

It is a light taste right now, the other people who I have seen use it say 10% for a single flavor mix but I like to start lower. I like the flavor profile though, very good vanilla custard, I just hope it becomes more prominent with time. I am thinking about 0.25% Cap Cake Batter and maybe a little INW Shisha Vanilla might be a killer combo for this...mmmmmm.

I did try all the ones last night on a dripper, they all have a throat hit which I can't stand but so far that goes down a lot within 24 hours. They all smell REALLY good, just not too strong.

I mixed them all as single flavors except Cream and Strawberry which I just combined. I think that combo has a lot of promise, there strawberry is real good.

@Howard Hughes the flavors don't seem too strong right now, from what I have read the Real Flavors really benefit from steeping. I will try and post my final thoughts on Thursday, this way if there is a crazy memorial day sale you can make up your mind if you want to try them or not.

Howard Hughes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vaping the Vanilla Custard right now, based on suggestions I found of others who used it I mixed it at 8% in a 70/30 mix. Only a day steeping but it is already not as harsh as a shake n vape. I should probably let this steep for a week but I can never wait :D

It is a light taste right now, the other people who I have seen use it say 10% for a single flavor mix but I like to start lower. I like the flavor profile though, very good vanilla custard, I just hope it becomes more prominent with time. I am thinking about 0.25% Cap Cake Batter and maybe a little INW Shisha Vanilla might be a killer combo for this...mmmmmm.

I did try all the ones last night on a dripper, they all have a throat hit which I can't stand but so far that goes down a lot within 24 hours. They all smell REALLY good, just not too strong.

I mixed them all as single flavors except Cream and Strawberry which I just combined. I think that combo has a lot of promise, there strawberry is real good.

@Howard Hughes the flavors don't seem too strong right now, from what I have read the Real Flavors really benefit from steeping. I will try and post my final thoughts on Thursday, this way if there is a crazy memorial day sale you can make up your mind if you want to try them or not.
Thank you for the update.
Looking forward to hearing what you think after letting them sit a few more days.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you for the update.
Looking forward to hearing what you think after letting them sit a few more days.
Ditto. I'm so used to using flavors that require 1-3%. This company claims there are more flavoring compounds in their flavors. Horse shit or does the vg carrier take more time develop ?

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think these flavors need more time. Dripped the Vanilla Custard and still too much throat hit for me but I had it also in my Cerakoat tank overnight and that is not harsh. Might be that I needed to heat up my mixes as well to get the flavors to mix in better, they recommend 60 degrees C which is 140 fahrenheit and I know I didn't get them that hot.

I am not getting much flavor at 8% for the vanilla custard, I just found a thread over at e-liq were the owner Walt is using much lower percentages in the mixes he posted: http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/real-flavor-recipes-thread/56989/8
After seeing that thread I am thinking I just used too much, user error on my part. I tried looking at every recommendation I could find and all were 10 to 12% for the vanilla custard as a standalone, I figured I would be safe at 8% but maybe not.

I am going to try the other flavors later today and let you know.

Howard Hughes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think these flavors need more time. Dripped the Vanilla Custard and still too much throat hit for me but I had it also in my Cerakoat tank overnight and that is not harsh. Might be that I needed to heat up my mixes as well to get the flavors to mix in better, they recommend 60 degrees C which is 140 fahrenheit and I know I didn't get them that hot.

I am not getting much flavor at 8% for the vanilla custard, I just found a thread over at e-liq were the owner Walt is using much lower percentages in the mixes he posted: http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/real-flavor-recipes-thread/56989/8
After seeing that thread I am thinking I just used too much, user error on my part. I tried looking at every recommendation I could find and all were 10 to 12% for the vanilla custard as a standalone, I figured I would be safe at 8% but maybe not.

I am going to try the other flavors later today and let you know.
10-12% on custard sounds a little high. I'm surprised you thought it was weak. That doesn't sound good. I know that custard in general requires a steep, but I would think you'd still be able to taste it as a shake & vape. I would just think it wouldn't be smoothed out yet.
I was hoping these flavors were as concentrated as FA, but it sounds like maybe not.
Thanks & keep us informed.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
10-12% on custard sounds a little high. I'm surprised you thought it was weak. That doesn't sound good. I know that custard in general requires a steep, but I would think you'd still be able to taste it as a shake & vape. I would just think it wouldn't be smoothed out yet.
I was hoping these flavors were as concentrated as FA, but it sounds like maybe not.
Thanks & keep us informed.

I was thinking 8% for a custard is the general range, GOC is 14% and it is not uncommon to see people use CAP Vanilla Custard in the 8% range as well.

I was reading more over at e-liq recipes forum and someone brought up the harshness that I am experiencing and not much flavor. I also noticed even some of the people who love RF commenting on how some flavors are just not that strong.

@MysticRose is a lover of RF Bread Pudding, I think I read she loved it in the 10 to 15% range, she also said it really needs about a month steeping to be it's best. We need her to check into this thread and help us out some.

I did leave a comment directed at the other guy who had the same experience as I have. I bought mine from GremlinDIY so I asked if he got them from the same place, maybe they got a bad batch or something.

The only one I sort of like is the Strawberry (6%) and Cream (5%) but it is still a little harsh for me. If the harshness goes away then this is a subtle but tasty flavor, not in your face.

@Howard Hughes, from my experience so far and from what I have read from other who love RF I would think it is safe to say that it is not even close to as concentrated as FA or INW. They do have a new Raw Extracts line that is supposed to be super concentrated like Medicine Flower but I have not tried the latter and am not planning on trying the former as well.

Here is there Raw Extracts: https://www.realflavors.com/collections/raw-extracts

I am disappointed, there flavors SMELL great but so far not much success. I am going to try the Vanilla Custard again at maybe 4% and add 0.25% CAP Cake Batter and maybe 2% INW Shisha Vanilla and let it steep for a month. I have it in my head that this will be a great combo, only time will tell. I will mix it in a glass bottle and dip it into a glass of hot water to get it hot before shaking the living hell out of it.

I just took a whiff of the Strawberries and Cream and wow does it smell great, maybe it just needs more than 4 days steep?

Still not ready to give up on Real Flavors but I am an impatient bastard so it's annoying.

Crago44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I hopped onto the Real flavors train this week and purchased these from GremlinDiy
I made 5ml test batches of each one ranging from 7%-15%. I've heard the bakeries are really good but the fruits are weak.
The stars of the show for me so far are bread pudding, cherry pie, blueberry and cinnamon custard. The cinnamon custard is going to be a huge winner I can already tell. I just hope the custard comes out more with time.
1. Bread pudding
2 cinnamon custard
3. Chocolate and strawberry milkshake
4. Cream
5. Blueberry
6. Cherry pie
7. Chocolate chip cookies
8. Kiwi
9. Neopolitan ice cream
10. Sugar cookie

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I am a stubborn bastard, after tasting a Strawberries and Cream drop on my finger I knew I could not give up, it tasted so good. I decided to do a heat steep which I generally am not a fan of but thought it would help speed up evaporating whatever is giving me the harsh throat hit. I heated up a glass of water in the microwave to just before boiling and gave it a minute to cool down. I then placed my bottle of Strawberries and Cream in the water with the top off for 2 minutes, then capped it and shook the shit out of it for a minute and did it one more time.

That made a BIG difference, I am now vaping what I tasted with that drop on my finger, I am really liking it.

I tried that with the other flavors but without as much success i'm afraid. I think I might have the percentages too high or they just take longer to steep.

I did make a RF Vanilla Custard at 4%, INW Shisha Vanilla 2% and 1 drop per 10ml CAP Cake Batter and did the same heat steep. As a shake n vape it is actually pretty good but wow is Cake Batter just damn strong, it is the dominant flavor with just 1 drop. No harshness at all and this mix will be interesting to see how it steeps but I could vape it right away with no harshness.

The RF Strawberry and Cream will probably be a repeat order for me, the others I am going to have to try lower percentages and see.

The RF Strawberry I really think is a winner, not saying it is knocking INW Shisha Strawberry off it's place as my favorite but it is different. The RF Strawberry really reminds me of Haagen Daz strawberry ice cream, the INW Shisha is more of a glazed strawberry. Hmmmmm, and here I thought I was tired of strawberry and cream vapes o_O

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hopped onto the Real flavors train this week and purchased these from GremlinDiy
I made 5ml test batches of each one ranging from 7%-15%. I've heard the bakeries are really good but the fruits are weak.
The stars of the show for me so far are bread pudding, cherry pie, blueberry and cinnamon custard. The cinnamon custard is going to be a huge winner I can already tell. I just hope the custard comes out more with time.
1. Bread pudding
2 cinnamon custard
3. Chocolate and strawberry milkshake
4. Cream
5. Blueberry
6. Cherry pie
7. Chocolate chip cookies
8. Kiwi
9. Neopolitan ice cream
10. Sugar cookie

Definitely let us know how it goes when you vape them.

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hi all. Yes,I am in love with the Bread pudding. As a stand alone I like it best at 15% with a 4 week steep. I've only made 2 recipes with it so far, bread pudding heavy still needed 12%, one with vanilla sauce and 1 with just whipped cream.

Yes, so far these need to be mixed in similar percentages to FW or TFA. And steeping is very very important. Literally the flavor strengthens and deepens after 4 weeks, have to have patience with these VG flavors.

I also like their Pineapple Upside Down Cake , really great baked pineapple flavor, had to support it just a tad to flesh it out, recipe is on elrecipes, and I have notes on both in the flavor database. I just ordered the 12 pack sampler to try some more flavors. It's 12 eight ml bottles for $27.xx including shipping if you use the elr code which takes off 25%. They are supposed to be here tomorrow. Going to be fun experimenting this weekend :)

I mix all mine at 30/70, I think it needs a little pg to help. And heat is important. I submerge my vg in a cup of hot water before mixing to warm it really good. And I also warm the RF flavoring and shake the sh** out of it before adding. It seems to make a big difference on getting it blended. Then I use a milk frother to mix my batches.

I'm not too scientific, so not sure what if any effect the frothing has, but mine seem to steep faster. Also, if you lay your bottles on the side when steeping instead of upright, they steep faster, more air oxidization...sorry gotta run doctor's appointment, don't even have time to fix my typos :(

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This just in copied from the e-liq recipes forum:

Sale? How about 40% off all Retail Products for the next 30 hours!

Code MEMSALE

That bring the 12 flavor 8ml each sample pack to $18 + shipping so now is a great time to try them out. I am going to order the 60ml Strawberry and there Cream as well. Going to try the sample pack once I figure out what to order besides Bread Pudding, Butterscotch pudding, Cinnamon Custard and French Toast

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got in 5 more flavors, gremlinDIY had a little sale and my curiosity for Bread Pudding got the best of me. I have to say Bread Pudding smells awesome and strong so I have my hopes up. I have been also searching for a good Coffee Cake and French Toast so those were on the list as well as Cinnamon Custard and Strawberry Milkshake. The coffee cake smells real good and strong, the cinnamon custard and french toast smell good too but there is not much aroma so I am thinking these might need those crazy high percentages.

So far I have been real happy with the strawberry @ 6% and Cream @ 5%, was going to order more of those 2 but figured I might as well just get the strawberry milkshake and hope it is just those 2 combined. I know they have a strawberries and cream but no reviews on that and good reviews on the sb milkshake. I will say the sb and cream mix I made reminds me of haagen daz strawberry ice cream, not in your face but real tasty.

This time I am going to try the new flavors @ 5 or 6%, I think my earlier efforts were too high and the only one I liked was the one where I used 6% or less of each flavor.

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had another forum member ask me about this brand. I don't know why I didn't think to post here, I guess because I consider myself a noob, and there are far more knowledgeable mixers on these threads. And I would hate for someone to buy a flavor that I love, and they don't like it and it's a waste of money for them. I had already posted my opinions on another thread. The following is a copy of that and the response I am sharing from my answer to the other member of our forum. Please remember it's my opinions only. I know when I was looking for information on this brand, it was hard to find. Hopefully this will help a little.

As we all know, taste is subjective, but this is my opinion. Tbh I was of the opinion that they would be weak and need a long time to steep before buying. I was wrong and right. The strength seems to be very similar to TFA and CAP. Most do require around a 4 week steep to really deepen and for the true flavor to develop, similar to custards. Some are good as S&V's,but after tasting at 4 weeks I would rather wait for the full flavor. Just like any company, they have good and ok/bad flavors. I have found them overall to be pretty complex and well rounded for single flavors. Of the 14 I have tried, I actually found 4 that I happily vape stand alone, and I don't find that with many flavors. I think I have become a fangirl ;) There cinnamon is the best! I haven't tried the King FLV Rich Cinnamon, but their Bread Pudding and Cinnamon Custard both have the same cinnamon, and it is amazing!! Anyway, I will copy and paste my tasting notes, I hope it helps.

Real Flavors

Tested on a Troll RDA with a single coil .4 ohm 2 claptons wrapped parallel at 23w.

Butterscotch Pudding: 10% @ 1 week steep. Slightly weak, but very good and sweet. Creamy sweet butterscotch dominant at this point, creamy backnote. Not really getting an "instant pudding" type flavor at this point, but it's still early. Nice thick mouth feel. Almost like a creamy rich butterscotch candy. Could easily be a stand alone with proper steep I think. Will try again at 4 weeks. I think with normal steeping times that creamy aspect will really strengthen, and will move more in the pudding direction. Right now I would say 10-12% tank 8-10% dripper for single flavor, 4-6% in blends. Will update with further testing. I really really like this, having a hard time putting it down.

Peanut Butter Cookie: 10% @ 1 week steep. Slightly weak at this short steep, but still yummy! Weaker than other RF flavors I've tried so far. I can't decide if it tastes more like cookie dough, or baked cookies? Maybe soft baked PB cookies just slightly on the doughy side? Nice natural tasting pb, not dry tasting at all. Sweet but not too sweet. Getting some kind of bright note, can't quite place it yet? Maybe vanilla, but almost fruity? Will have to figure it out. Will update again at 4 week steep. Not sure of SF percentages yet. Will wait and see how much it strengthens with steeping, but not a strong/good S&V at 10%.

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Cream Soda: 10% @ 1 week steep. This is a very delicate flavor. Very good creamy vanilla, not as sweet as the real thing. Definitely not a stand alone at this percentage. Not in your face flavor. Would be great as a creamy vanilla in blends. Going to try at 15% and see what happens, maybe also with some sweetener. I like it, hoping higher percentage and steeping brings it out more. Unless it strengthens with higher percentages and steeping, I wouldn't use stand alone. Will update after further testing. Going to make an orange cream soda and see how it develops. That is what I wanted this flavor for.

Cream Cheese: 10% @ 1 week steep. This flavor really surprised me. Actually quite good, and strong flavor even at only a 1 week steep. Unusual for creams. Pretty authentic flavor, slightly tangy but still slightly sweet, doesn't have that flatness and strong tanginess that you usually get from cream cheese. Sweeter than plain cream cheese, but like the natural sweetness of VG, not like a frosting sweet. I really like this, and I will be using it in a lot of recipes I'm sure. I'm thinking 3-6% in a mix. However, might lower that depending on how much it continues to strengthen with steeping. I won't be using this stand alone, not because it's a bad flavor, but because I don't care for just eating plain cream cheese. It's an accent flavor for me.

Vanilla Custard: 10% @ 1 week steep. Sweet vanilla cream. Very mild, not rich. Not surprised, as it's custard and only been 1 week. No eggy taste to this, more cream than custard. Good, but not memorable. I like it as a vanilla cream type accent flavor, but need more from a custard. Will try again at 4 weeks, it needs steeping for sure. Might need to go 12-15% on this one for SF. I will update and rate after further steeping.

Sweetened Condensed Milk: 10% @ 1 week steep. Very authentic flavor especially in such a hard to find flavor. Sweetened milk with a nice rich thick mouth feel, with almost a hint of dulce de leche mixed in. Can't wait to try this again at 4 weeks, assuming it will get noticably richer. Not a stand alone flavor for me, but oh what it will add to my mixes! I'm guessing 2-6% in blends.

Coconut Cream Pie: 10% @ 1 week steep. This is a delicious, sweet, creamy, strong and authentic flavored coconut cream pie. Even at only 1 week steep, it's very well balanced to me. Great ratio of crust to creamy coconut filling, topped with thick layers of real whipped cream. I can easily see this as a stand alone ADV. Can't wait to taste this at 4 weeks, I really like this one. I can see it being changed very easily as well depending on what you are in the mood for. An extra touch of sweetened coconut, or pie crust. Or even a touch of graham cracker to change it to a graham crust. Maybe even pineapple for pineapple coconut pie? Or Pina Colada. Mmmmmm, so good!

Cake Batter: 10% @ 1 week steep. Generic sweetness. I'm just getting a pleasant sweetness, and maybe if I concentrate really hard a hint of frosting? Not really sure, can't pick up any specific flavor, it's more than just sweetened VG, but indistinguishable at this point. Maybe this needs a full steep, will try again at 4 weeks, hopefully it will develop further. If it doesn't change, I don't really see a use for it.

Lemon Cake: 10% @ 1 week steep. This is very good, I really like it. It's very flavorful at just 1 week, so might be a good S&V? I didn't try, but I also never S&V, I always give a minimum of 24hrs for flavors to blend. Lemon pound cake glazed with sweet icing, also reminds me of the filling of lemon meringue pie just a little less tart. They did an excellent job with this one, well balanced with cake definitely there. Realistic slightly acidic lemon without being bitter or harsh. No window cleaner on this one. It's very sweet. I could and will easily ADV this stand alone. I can also see it being great to make lemon cookies, or even a great base for a lemon meringue pie if you add a touch of lime for tartness, crust, and some meringue. I see a lot of uses for this in my future. I really hope the lemon stays prominent with steeping, so hard to find lemons that do. I would start at 2-4% in mixes. I will update at 4 week steep!

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Orange Cream: 10% @ 1 week steep. I like this one as well. It is a very good realistic slightly sweet orange, not that artificial orange flavoring found in most orange creams. Smooth and no harsh throat hit at all. However, the cream is very light with a tiny hint of vanilla and hides behind the orange. Just get a hint of it on exhale. Hopefully the cream will strengthen with a normal 4 week steep as it's a lovely flavor. If the cream doesn't come out to play, I would tend to use this more as just a plain realistic orange. But I expect the creams to develop more with time, haven't met one yet that doesn't.

Cinnamon Custard: 10% @ 1 week steep. I'm in love! Even at only 1 week steep! Delicious warm sweet vanilla pudding with freshly ground cinnamon. As others have said, this is the same cinnamon as in their bread pudding. This reminds me very much of rich rice pudding with cinnamon, minus the rice. Creamy, thick, warm, OMG ADV stand alone flavor. Can't wait to try this at a 4-8 week steep, I can only imagine. I need to make a lot of this or none will make it to a full steep. Did I mention I'm in love ;) You must get if you are a custard lover like me. Or if you want an amazing cinnamon.

Blue Raz: 10% @ 1 week steep. Well, to be honest, I have never had blue raspberry. And I know that blue raspberry slushies probably tastes nothing like the real fruit, I have no clue. But this tastes very much like a blue raspberry slushie. Without being sickening sweet, nor artificial. I need to order Koolada. I bet it would take this over the top for summer. I've always been a custard and dessert vaper, so not sure where to go with it. It's very good, just a bit out of my comfort zone. Will have to find my imagination for this one. Is a bright medium sweet berry, very different from all the usual berries when you want something to break the monotony.

Shamrock Shake: 10% @ 1 week steep. This is the first one from RF that disappointented me. It's not a bad flavor, just not Shamrock Shake. I'm not sure if it's because my expectations were too high. Or because this flavor needs a long steep to develop. I'm hoping it's the latter, and wouldn't be surprised if it is. Seems like most mints and creams need a good steep by themselves, much less together. On the inhale, of course is sweet mint. Not overwhelming, very good level. On the exhale I get a generic cream with maybe a hint of chocolate chips? I was looking for the in your face know right away shake. If someone handed me a tank of this to try, and I didn't know what was in it, I would guess it is some type of creamy mint. If I try hard I can find hints of Shamrock Shake though, so I'm still hopeful. I will wait to rate until a longer steep.

Bread Pudding: Tested at 10 day steep 15% standalone. Very good, not too rich, could adv easily by itself. Flavor is good at this percentage, but deepens and strengthens a lot near the 4 week steep mark. Try at 3-4 weeks before raising percentage. Well balanced, just a light hint of cinnamon and really an authentic bread pudding. For my personal tastes would like a hint more vanilla. Would be great with a vanilla or caramel sauce, or topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Lots of possibilities with this one. I have noticed with this brand of flavorings that they really come out at/after 4 weeks. Probably because of the vg, but worth waiting for!

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Pineapple Upside Down Cake: Tested at 10 day steep at 15%. Very sweet. In all fairness, I have found Real Flavors to get so much stronger and better with a month steep, probably because of the vg, This may end up being fantastic after a full 30 days. I will update notes when I get there.They nailed the cooked pineapple flavor aspect, but for stand alone it needs support. Has a sweet cooked pineapple with a slight background of cakeyness and hint of brown sugar. Good starting point, haven't found that cooked pineapple flavor anywhere else. I think with some help from more yellow cake, a little richness from butter, and a bit of caramel and brown sugar to provide that caramelization it will be good. It is very sweet though, so the challenge will be to add the caramel and brown sugar without more sweetness. Might add a bit of FA Fresh Cream to tone down the sweetness and help with keeping the cake moist.

Sorry for the multiple posts, apparently their is a character limit.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for posting your review @MysticRose.

I am finding them a bit too week for my liking. I still really like the strawberry though, that with there cream is real tasty for a simple mix.

I really like the aroma of a lot of there flavors. I really can't wait for him to introduce more flavors in the PDO base instead of VG since it will be stronger. I also think the ethyl alcohol in the VG version's might be what makes them so harsh for me.

I really hope his entire line is made available in the PDO base. If it is as strong as Walt from Real Flavors says it is then that is the way i will go as i think he makes some tasty flavors. Just needs to be more pronounced for my tastes.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@MysticRose Thanks for your reviews :)

Thanks for posting your review @MysticRose.

I am finding them a bit too week for my liking. I still really like the strawberry though, that with there cream is real tasty for a simple mix.

I really like the aroma of a lot of there flavors. I really can't wait for him to introduce more flavors in the PDO base instead of VG since it will be stronger. I also think the ethyl alcohol in the VG version's might be what makes them so harsh for me.

I really hope his entire line is made available in the PDO base. If it is as strong as Walt from Real Flavors says it is then that is the way i will go as i think he makes some tasty flavors. Just needs to be more pronounced for my tastes.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
mjag, what is PDO ? Whatever it is, if the flavors wind up more potent. I'll wait for their release.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

mjag, what is PDO ? Whatever it is, if the flavors wind up more potent. I'll wait for their release.

It is best explained by Real Flavors themself on there PDO page: https://www.realflavors.com/collections/pdo-flavors

I need to look more into it myself, only saw a mention to it and from what I remember it is PG but without whatever makes people sensitive to PG. My brain is fried today though with the 105 degree heat, I feel like a burnt wick....lol. The owner of Real Flavors said in testing it is a lot stronger than the VG counterparts so less is needed and it steeps much faster.

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

It is Propanediol 1,3 vs PG which is Propanediol 1,2. It has less allergic reactions, a lot of people that have problems with PG seem to have none with the PDO. However, Zemea is the only company that makes it, and has made it very clear they don't want it used in vaping. There are a couple threads on it on Reddit and on the elr website. There is a company making a base with it that just opened, and a thread on test results some of us have had so far on elr.

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

They just released I think 5 flavors in the PDO. It's their first time trying them, so I'm waiting to hear some results on them. Walt has said they are crazy strong as a S&V, but hasn't had any results from steeping. And he said that on the Strawberry PDO specifically.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It is Propanediol 1,3 vs PG which is Propanediol 1,2. It has less allergic reactions, a lot of people that have problems with PG seem to have none with the PDO. However, Zemea is the only company that makes it, and has made it very clear they don't want it used in vaping. There are a couple threads on it on Reddit and on the elr website. There is a company making a base with it that just opened, and a thread on test results some of us have had so far on elr.
Ahh Propanediol. I tried getting a sample of Zemea from Dow. I didn't even mention vaping, and they shot me down Lol. I did find some propanediol on ebay. It wasn't Zemea. I didn't like it. Smelled like moonshine Lol. Tasted strange as well. Hopefully Real Flavors is using a better grade than what I received.

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ahh Propanediol. I tried getting a sample of Zemea from Dow. I didn't even mention vaping, and they shot me down Lol. I did find some propanediol on ebay. It wasn't Zemea. I didn't like it. Smelled like moonshine Lol. Tasted strange as well. Hopefully Real Flavors is using a better grade than what I received.
Yes, I tried to get a sample from them as well. Told them it was for making my own shampoos, conditioner and lotions. It is used in the cosmetic industry and for people that make their own products. They called to ask what my company was, and when I told them it's for personal use, they said they don't sell to consumers or the "end" user. I asked who sold it to consumers for diy natural cosmetic, and they said no one is. So they are being very careful. It's a sustainable product made from corn, you'd think it was an illegal substance the way they are treating it. :(

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I might be able to find this info on the site, but just thought I'd ask: what about diketones in RF's flavors? Do they completely leave them out, or do they note which flavors contain them? I don't use much VG in my mixes, but if the flavoring is VG-based, I guess I'd just add less actual VG to the mix; my main concern is with diketones.

Andria

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I might be able to find this info on the site, but just thought I'd ask: what about diketones in RF's flavors? Do they completely leave them out, or do they note which flavors contain them? I don't use much VG in my mixes, but if the flavoring is VG-based, I guess I'd just add less actual VG to the mix; my main concern is with diketones.

Andria
Call them or don't vape them. Diketones are the least of my worries.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, I tried to get a sample from them as well. Told them it was for making my own shampoos, conditioner and lotions. It is used in the cosmetic industry and for people that make their own products. They called to ask what my company was, and when I told them it's for personal use, they said they don't sell to consumers or the "end" user. I asked who sold it to consumers for diy natural cosmetic, and they said no one is. So they are being very careful. It's a sustainable product made from corn, you'd think it was an illegal substance the way they are treating it. :(
Wow ! You did a wonderful job trying to get some.That was a better plan than mine was Lol. Dow is harder to break than Fort Knox !

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Andria
I would say check the website. I have no clue, I love my diketones.

Howard Hughes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So earlier today I was stocking up on my regular flavors & ordered me up a few of the RF flavors, but under the relabeled "North West" name.

First off, I ordered a sample pack that included the following, all in 10 ml-
Bomb Pop
Blueberry Acai Pomegranate
Vanilla Custard
Strawberry Milkshake
Birthday Cake

Then I ordered 10 ml bottles of-
Max Dew
Peach
Raspberry
Candy Base

I wanted to try a variety of their flavors, from custard to cake to fruit to sweet/candy & figure out what (if any) I would like. I'm definitely down with the "all VG" thing, as I like to use higher percentages of flavors but still retain a thick juice. That being said however, my switch from flavorings from the likes of Capella, LA, FW & TFA sometime back to mainly FA now really helped me out with that. Maybe it's just the curiosity, but I have to know so hopefully I'll receive my order & be able to use some of them soon. Again, thanks to all of you here for responding.

vapekitten420

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel like you could add a little pg and vape them. pretty tasty but I don't think they are very concentrated.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel like you could add a little pg and vape them. pretty tasty but I don't think they are very concentrated.

There definitely flavor that need time to steep, the month @MysticRose had mentioned before is about right. Even then they are not strong flavors but that is with mixing at 8%, need to try higher at maybe 12 to 15% but haven't got around to it.

The 2 flavors I am re-ordering is the Strawberry and the Cream, going to also just order a small bottle of the already mixed up Strawberries and Cream but I like the fact of ordering the 2 flavors separately so I can make it the way I want it. The mix I made of 6% Strawberry and 5% Cream is something I really do crave now. I use to vape a lot of S&C but grew tired of it, this is the first combo that has really brought me back to it as a ADV, it is mild but I think that is why I like it so much. It really does remind me of Haagen Daz Strawberry Ice Cream, not bold but smooth and oh so tasty.

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes, unfortunately all VG suspended flavors come with a long steep time. It just doesn't carry flavor well so it takes longer to develop. To me they are also slightly weaker, before steep, than PG flavors for the same reason. My starting percentage for testing VG flavors is 10%. Some I end up going higher, some lower. But these flavors are so complex and good as a single flavors it's well worth the wait. I normally mix most my eliquid in the 15-20% total range. So if I use 12-15% of one of these for a SF, I'm still using around the same amount of flavoring in the end. I just don't have to mix 5 different flavors to get the same results. And the longer the steep the better. Yes, 4 weeks if good. 8 is even better.

But I am still in the 15-20% flavoring range even using VG flavoring. There are some that are weaker, but worth it if you have PG sensitivity and are patient enough to wait for steeping. But as with any flavoring company, they have good ones, and not so good ones. But 15% is 15% whether it's all one flavor or 5-10 together in lower percentages, so I can't say as they are weak when used properly.

Crago44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
First off as a company RF has given me nothing but awesome customer service. After you buy from them they do a follow up about a week or so later just to make sure you are enjoying the flavors and you're satisfied with your purchase.
I have about 15-20 RF flavors now and I must say most are really good. The only knock is steep time. (2-5 weeks) On their website it states that giving a hot bath and good mix/shake will of course speed up the steeping process. Call me old school but I prefer to let them rest in my dark Vape cabinet. With that being said since these are VG flavorings i think the mix greatly benefits from a hot bath and good shake or mix with a small electric whisk. Melds them perfectly together.
Now
On to the my flavor reviews.

Peanut butter cup 3.5/5 - mixed 6/10/16 10%
The first week was meh (all peanut butter slightly burnt taste).
But after fully steeping for 1 month I must say this is a great representation of a peanut butter cup. Pro's - Salty, creamy, fresh oven roasted and well grounded peanuts.
Cons - chocolate is barely noticeable and is very overpowered by the peanut butter.
Off flavors - very so often burnt peanuts flavor
Recommend - yes but buy small to sample. Would go great in a peanut butter balls cereal (Reese puffs)

Cinnamon Roll (PDO) 4.5/5 - mixed 6/15/16 6%
One of my favorites. Freshly baked and not under baked that leaves a doughy aftertaste. Perfect balance between cinnamon, dough and cream cheese. Texture - yes. Soft and gooey
Recommend - Yes

Peanut butter cookie 3/5 - 6/10/16 10%
Very similar to peanut butter cup. It's the exact same peanut butter with the same over roasted/ burnt peanuts taste. Slightly sweet Not a must have but its a great starting point for a peanut butter crunch cereal (Reese puffs) or a peanut butter crunch cheesecake.
Recommend - hard to say if you're are looking for a new peanut butter try it

Blueberry muffin 4/5 - 6/10/16 10%
My opinion RF has the best Blueberry flavors.
Again first week was nothing special but after a month the magic begins. This doesn't have the same blueberry muffin flavor as FLV but I think RF's might be a little better. This BM doesn't lose its potency like the competitions but RF's doesn't have the distinct muffin flavor like FLV. I haven't tried mixing these 2 together but you can bet your last dollar that will change after this post This flavor is so addicting. If you're like me and search for the best blueberry and cakey muffin flavor look no further. If you have patience! this is the one.

If anyone has a flavor they want reviewed please message me and if I have it I will update this post or send you a message directly. Thanks everybody and I hope this can help someone out if they're on the fence about RF flavorings.

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thank you very much. The cinnamon roll just went on my must try list! Were you happy with the 6% on the PDO flavoring or would you change it?

MysticRose

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I wou
First off as a company RF has given me nothing but awesome customer service. After you buy from them they do a follow up about a week or so later just to make sure you are enjoying the flavors and you're satisfied with your purchase.
I have about 15-20 RF flavors now and I must say most are really good. The only knock is steep time. (2-5 weeks) On their website it states that giving a hot bath and good mix/shake will of course speed up the steeping process. Call me old school but I prefer to let them rest in my dark Vape cabinet. With that being said since these are VG flavorings i think the mix greatly benefits from a hot bath and good shake or mix with a small electric whisk. Melds them perfectly together.
Now

But after fully steeping for 1 month I must say this is a great representation of a peanut butter cup. Pro's - Salty, creamy, fresh oven roasted and well grounded peanuts.
Cons - chocolate is barely noticeable and is very overpowered by the peanut butter.
Recommend - yes but buy small to sample. Would go great in a peanut butter balls cereal (Reese puffs)

One of my favorites. Freshly baked and not under baked that leaves a doughy aftertaste. Perfect balance between cinnamon, dough and cream cheese. Texture - yes. Soft and gooey
Recommend - Yes

Very similar to peanut butter cup. It's the exact same peanut butter with the same over roasted/ burnt peanuts taste. Slightly sweet Not a must have but its a great starting point for a peanut butter crunch cereal (Reese puffs) or a peanut butter crunch cheesecake.

Again first week was nothing special but after a month the magic begins. This doesn't have the same blueberry muffin flavor as FLV but I think RF's might be a little better. This BM doesn't lose its potency like the competitions but RF's doesn't have the distinct muffin flavor like FLV. I haven't tried mixing these 2 together but you can bet your last dollar that will change after this post This flavor is so addicting. If you're like me and search for the best blueberry and cakey muffin flavor look no further. If you have patience! this is the one.

If anyone has a flavor they want reviewed please message me and if I have it I will update this post or send you a message directly. Thanks everybody and I hope this can help someone out if they're on the fence about RF flavorings.
ld a
Now

Recommend - Yes

I would also love to hear your thoughts on some other flavors if you have tried them?

Aged Bourbon Cream
Butter Toffee
Boston Cream Pie
Chocolate Chip Cookie
Cream
Dreamsicle
French Vanilla
Lemon Meringue
Rocky Road Ice Cream
Strawberry Rhubarb
Rhubarb

I know you may not have any of these flavors, but if so it would be great!

Thanks so much, good reviews.

VU Sponsors