Become a Patron!

Really New to Vaping and am Having an Issue with Shitty Pen

Hi, I'm pretty new to vaping in general and I picked up one of those shitty starter kits for like $15. The pen only blinks when I try to vape at all which leads me to believe that the pen is out or low on battery, however, if I take the tank off the top and then press the button it glows like it should be. The USB charger is strange as well, if I screw the pen into the charger all the way there is no response from the light on the charger unless I press the button on the pen in which case it turns red until I release the button. If I unscrew the pen about half way the red light comes on and turns green if I press the button. The charger stays green if the pen is not attached at all.

Please help if you can sorry for the wall of text. I appreciate any response.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You need a better battery, the contact on that one is bad. Is it too late to exchange it?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi, I'm pretty new to vaping in general and I picked up one of those shitty starter kits for like $15. The pen only blinks when I try to vape at all which leads me to believe that the pen is out or low on battery, however, if I take the tank off the top and then press the button it glows like it should be. The USB charger is strange as well, if I screw the pen into the charger all the way there is no response from the light on the charger unless I press the button on the pen in which case it turns red until I release the button. If I unscrew the pen about half way the red light comes on and turns green if I press the button. The charger stays green if the pen is not attached at all.

Please help if you can sorry for the wall of text. I appreciate any response.
Unfortunately you get what you pay for..
That said I would start over with a better mod...Vamo, Lavatube type starter kits are fairly cheap and they use a separate replaceable 18650 battery..
Its been my experience those cheap $15 pens are a waste of money...just sayin

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unfortunately you get what you pay for..
That said I would start over with a better mod...Vamo, Lavatube type starter kits are fairly cheap and they use a separate replaceable 18650 battery..
Its been my experience those cheap $15 pens are a waste of money...just sayin

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk
+1

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
have an ego that I could only screw in part way to get the light to stay red. cleaning with steel wool seemed to have helped it.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The light on my ego charger always stayed green when nothing wasn't attached to it. Sounds normal. It's red when screwed on, until fully charged, then green. Have you been able to use it at all? If so, maybe clean the contact area with a qtip and alcohol, see if that helps you. It's also really easy to over-tighten to the tank or the charger, which pushes the pin down and they won't make contact. That has to be gently lifted up to work, but, will only get worse.

Definitely invest in a better set up. You can get a much better eGo type battery if that's what you want to stick to. Or get a variable voltage/wattage starter box. There's a ton of very reasonably priced starters available.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Like everyone said, its time to look at your options and figure out what you want to do to replace that pen.
Luckily, there are a ton of inexpensive options out there; just give some thought as you what you want out of a mod and we can help point you to something that fits the bill.

Last edited:

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could be the rubber insulator under your firing pin is crushed or broken from screwing the tank/ charger down too tightly and causing a short. Try lifting the pin but it's not a great solution. If you like the vape pen style I suggest a kanger evod or emow. Something with a bit of quality...good luck

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It could also be a bad coil in the tank that's shorting out...

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It could also be a bad coil in the tank that's shorting out...

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone
True but with the charger issue as well it sounded like the insulator to me, try lifting the pin then screwing the tank down gently as in not all the way down until it either fires or does the flashing. If it fires then you may be able to gently do a repair on the insulator...good luck and remember you tube is your friend

mayorts

Member For 4 Years
Buy another 15 dollar pen, or...I would recommend the kanger subox mini full kit if you are serious about quitting smoking. It will keep your interest, has a nice tank and rba so you can learn to build and is relatively inexpensive. You will be much happier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors