Become a Patron!

Rebuild Noob

Cheechmachine506

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys, this is my first time posting a thread. I quit smoking about 4 months ago. I bought a 134 mini with a nautilus mini BVC tank. Since ive owned it i have fell in love with vaping. The reason i am posting this thread is i want to star rebuilding my own coils. I am a cloud chaser and have watched countless videos of people blowing huge clouds. I would like to eventually achieve that rebuilding my own coils. I have never tried to rebuild therefore am unsure of how i should go about doing this or where to start. Mainly i would like to know which rebuild kits you guys would suggest so i can start somewhere and broaden my knowledge on doing rebuilds. I am basically looking for a place to start. I am an electrician so i understand the theory behind coils and ohms law. I just want to get a tank with rebuildable coil that i can eventually go into micro ohms and blow big clouds. I think it would be fun to do but like i said i dont know where to start or what to buy. I do understand how to rebuild though just looking for suggestions on websites giving some tips or also what product i should buy to start. I hear some people use silica and some use organic cotton. I also am unsure which gauge wire to buy. I figured 32 would be good but again i am unsure. Please help. Thanks guys.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
First of all welcome to VU!

I am sure the cloud chasers will be here shortly to guide you!

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
steamboat rda by lawless, perhaps...
cant really get massive tons of clouds without heavily modifying the airflow on any rebuildable tank atty...
after you get your feet wet, look into having it spiral drilled ...
high vg eliquid will help...

ohm meter
tweezers
toenail clippers/flush side cutters
different sized mandrels/drill bits (maybe start w/ 1/16th thru 7/64 th sizes)
wicking material of your choice (ceramic rope, ramie fiber, hemp, rayon, cotton)
A1 Kanthal, start with 28 gage, move to 26 or 24 gage...after you see results you can decide on ribbon or exotics...
not a cloud chaser myself, but, good base teqniques will give you a solid leg up...
batteries with proper amperage to match what your builds will draw...
a russian 91% , origin, veritas and magma are my rebuildables of choice for what i chase (flavor)
you may like the (insert name of a ton of drippers here...remember airflow is the #1 key here)

jmaulvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
First off your never going to get huge clouds with a tank. In order to get the big clouds you will need a RDA (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer). I would suggest starting with a good clone with a 3 post design for ease of building. I really like the Dark Horse atty, it has 16 different air flow combinations and 2 different drip tips to allow you to open the airflow to cloud chase or tighten the draw for more flavor. I also like the Tugboat as a good all around RDA, but it is more of an in between RDA that is good for clouds and flavor, but not going to produce the huge clouds you see people get at cloud comps unless you drill out the airflow holes.

Cheechmachine506

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is awesome info thanks guys. Couple of questions, why do they call them clones, also will the rda you suggested fit on my 134 mini? And is my 134 suitable for vaping it? Another question is when people want to pick a mod with a good amperage level how exactly do I figure out what a good level is for sub ohm vaping? What happenes if its not the right level and Also your not supposed to drip with nicotine right? Just curious why? Thanks guys this is helping a lot.

Cheechmachine506

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also how do i find out my max amp draw? My battery is a 18500 1300mah 3.7v but does not give me a current rating..

dmska

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Lots of questions, that's a good thing. A clone is cheaper version of an authentic mod or atty. I won't get into the debate on this forum. I don't know what the "134" is, but I am going to assume you won't be able to satisfactorily vape a low ohm rda on it. You need to educate yourself on battery safety, ohms law and do research on a good, quality mod/rda combo. Most vapers use mechanicals or vv/vw box mods to get the high power necessary for sub-ohm builds. You won't pick a mod with good amperage level, you will build a coil on your rda to suit your style. Hopefully I was @ least somewhat helpful.

Cheechmachine506

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lots of questions, that's a good thing. A clone is cheaper version of an authentic mod or atty. I won't get into the debate on this forum. I don't know what the "134" is, but I am going to assume you won't be able to satisfactorily vape a low ohm rda on it. You need to educate yourself on battery safety, ohms law and do research on a good, quality mod/rda combo. Most vapers use mechanicals or vv/vw box mods to get the high power necessary for sub-ohm builds. You won't pick a mod with good amperage level, you will build a coil on your rda to suit your style. Hopefully I was @ least somewhat helpful.
In the last few days I have done a ton of "homework" lol. I will probably get a mech mod unless I can figure out what would be a good vv/vw box mod. As for ohms law I'm a master because I studied electrical for 5 years (now licensed). Once I started doing research it all clicked pretty quick. Thank you very much for your reply. I am extremely excited to start doing rebuilds. Just ordered 28 gauge kanthal (100') and the dark horse clone along with a ohm reader. For te builds I kind of want to do from my research an 18650 vtc 5 seems like it would allow me to build down far low enough to what I plan to. As for the mod though I'm a little stuck. If I don't figure it out soon ill probably go with the kamry k101. Looks like a fairly inexpensive/good mech mod. Thanks for the help guys these forums have answered hundreds of questions the last few days.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tons of mods, but they are all the same tube with different button designs. The difference is in the button.
Personal preferences is magnetic switch with no lock ring to forget.
BCV surfrider at fasttech for a good mod at a cheap price.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1849003

Infinite CLT V2 is a great dripper, easy to build with dual center post holes. Great cloud machine with fantastic flavor, best of both worlds.

Orchid for a tank same positives as the CLT, a little more flavor and less cloud, more convenient for on the go vaping.

VTC5 is one of the top batteries.

Pick up some 24g A1 kanthal wire to get you into the 0.3 or lower resistance builds for clouds. The CLT and other big air flow atty's need a low resistance build to take advantage of the air flow otherwise your vape is cooler than you would want and the flavor & cloud just isn't there.

Edit: I see you bought a rda already, good choice... there will be more to come in your future :D

D

Donald Bickers

I have a k101,,,,i use it at work just because of its durability,they can take a beating and theyre cheap,,,,,that was my first mechanical,works great,not the pretiest thing around,but at work it aint about pretty its about performance,,,,i think it would be a good first time mech mod

dmska

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unfortunately you probably won't be able to get the Sony's that you mentioned, look into the Lg or Samsung's for sub-ohm builds.

Cheechmachine506

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Unfortunately you probably won't be able to get the Sony's that you mentioned, look into the Lg or Samsung's for sub-ohm builds.
Why wont i be able to get the vtc 5's?

Cheechmachine506

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Why wont i be able to get the vtc 5's?

dmska

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Supposedly they are no longer made and most, if not all stock has dried up. Legitimate stock anyway, as in I would be leery if I found some on e-bay.

Liu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Sony plant was damaged, and shut down, due to the tsunami. What stock of Sony batteries we had access to were backed up in warehouses since the shutdown.

They have a new plant on Singapore, operating at full capacity, and manufacturing the VTC5 again. How long it will be before the supply chain reaches us, is as good a guess as anyone's.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My local B&M Vapor Labs in Los Angeles has them (gotta call). B&M price, not gouging price.

The LG HE2 is a good battery too. My buddy picked 2 up and they seem to be on par with my vtc5's. A few others including the vtc4 which you might find online but friends don't let friends vape with efest batteries.

Cheechmachine506

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmm wow ok thanks guys. Appreciate the suggestions. Ill look into the LG HE2's. unfortunately I am no where near LA. I live in Canada.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, wouldn't make sense to ship to Canada.
Lots can be learned here in these threads, sounds like you are on the right path.

Liu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
...but friends don't let friends vape with efest batteries.

Funny thing, the LGHE2 are the exact cell that are under the Purple Efest wrapper. I dislike Efest because they deliberately mislead vapers by labeling them as 35A batteries and not explaining that as the tested maximum discharge, rather than the safe continuous discharge; but they're selling the exact same thing with their logo slapped on it.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or is it? Does it test out with the same MAH and IR as the LG? Or is the LG the better cells and the purple wraps are cells that didn't test as well and were purchased by efest?

I know that's very common in the RC industry. Pick what you want to sell from one of the 3 or so factories and pay for the level of quality you want. Some retailers put ok quality out at huge prices and some put out great quality at huge prices and a hand full of smaller companies put out great quality at great prices but all sourced from the same place.

Last edited:

Dalton801

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Tons of mods, but they are all the same tube with different button designs. The difference is in the button.
Personal preferences is magnetic switch with no lock ring to forget.
BCV surfrider at fasttech for a good mod at a cheap price.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1849003

Infinite CLT V2 is a great dripper, easy to build with dual center post holes. Great cloud machine with fantastic flavor, best of both worlds.

Orchid for a tank same positives as the CLT, a little more flavor and less cloud, more convenient for on the go vaping.

VTC5 is one of the top batteries.

Pick up some 24g A1 kanthal wire to get you into the 0.3 or lower resistance builds for clouds. The CLT and other big air flow atty's need a low resistance build to take advantage of the air flow otherwise your vape is cooler than you would want and the flavor & cloud just isn't there.

Edit: I see you bought a rda already, good choice... there will be more to come in your future :D

The last part is the truth. Getting a new rda is addicting..

VU Sponsors