Recipe Flavor Percentage Conversion

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'm experiencing a major brain fart. How do I convert recipe flavor percentages to make a standalone flavor base? For instance, I want to make a G.O.C. base, that I can just add at maybe 15% to my VG/PG/nic. Yes, I can use the ELR site to do this following the G.O.C. recipe, but I want to be able to easily adjust for final quantity, not via randomly adjusting the final quantity via trial and error.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Found the One Shot/Concentrate option in ELR. But would still like to know the actual math to do this. Like I said, experiencing a brain fart and can't seem to figure it out for some reason. May have something to do with the 100 proof Knob Creek I was drinking last night... :eek:

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Really it's the ratio of flavors that is important, not the quantity. Many folks just change the percentages to ML and mix it up . You could always double those if the amount isn't sufficient, just keep the ratios intact and you're good.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Really it's the ratio of flavors that is important, not the quantity. Many folks just change the percentages to ML and mix it up . You could always double those if the amount isn't sufficient, just keep the ratios intact and you're good.
Yes, I know. But I want to be able to convert the amounts to only flavor percentages equal to 100%. That's what this thread is about...

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes, I know. But I want to be able to convert the amounts to only flavor percentages equal to 100%. That's what this thread is about...

Ah gotcha, you apparently enjoy punishment I take it, lol.

There is a tool via Ejuicemeup that will help you with that ( Flavor Percentage ) but if you really want the math, I'm not your huckleberry ... not sufficiently caffeinated yet for ciphering, lol.

ilikeitfruity

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would love someone to figure this out as I'm maths intolerant, flavour art UK publish their recipes like this and it always hurts my brain.tia

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Most that create one shots or stones will add pg to build the stone used to 10%.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Okay - once my brain clears from last nights bourbon fog I'll explain this clearly.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Okay, so my brain's back in gear (mostly). Basically, you just divide each of the individual flavor percentages by the total flavor percentage of the juice and multiply each of those results by 100. I've rounded out the percentages to 1/100th of a percent so the total for the flavor base is slightly off of an even 100%.

Ingredient 1 - 5%
Ingredient 2 - 3%
Ingredient 3 - 2%
Ingredient 4 - 3%
Ingredient 5 - 4%
Total percentage needed for recipe: 17%

So, we divide each ingredient by 17, then multiply by 100:
Ingredient 1 - 29.41%
Ingredient 2 - 17.65%
Ingredient 3 - 11.76%
Ingredient 4 - 17.65%
Ingredient 5 - 23.51%
Total (rounded) percentage needed for flavor base: 99.98%

Now, with your flavor base already mixed, just use it as the only flavoring at 17% in your favorite juice calculator.

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you essentially want to make a one shot? For example:

FA Apple Pie 2%
FA Cookie 1.5%
FA Lemon Sicily 1%

In this case you would simply put 2ml of the FA Apple Pie, 1.5ml of FA Cookie & 1ml of FA Lemon Sicily. So normally you would mix @ 4.5% but since your base is there you can always mix at 5, 6 or whatever % you want.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Not a one shot, but bulk concentrate to save time. I can make 100ml of the concentrate if I like, or any other amount. For instance, I can mix up a concentrate for G.O.C., at the suggested 13.8%. But I would actually use it at about 15%, because I like it a little stronger. A lot easier than increasing all 10 ingredients by 1.2% each.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All this math shit hurts my brain. Have y'all tried the calc https://ecigvape.com/e-liquid-calculator-allows-flavors-with-nicotine-plus-pgvg-adjusting

I dunno if this one will do what you need, CrazyChef, but it's a good one, very flexible and powerful since you enter not just the amounts of flavoring (the percentages) but each ingredient''s nic level and PG/VG ratio. It's the only one that lets me be as picky about my final PG/VG ratio as I have to be, since too much VG gives me serious breathing problems.

Andria

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh, I thought you meant you realized already that you could do it on ELR when you said you found the one shot. Yeah, I always just use ELR when I make my base mixes. Use a little more, a little less, whatever mood strikes you. I do this for anything I vape a lot. Such a time saver!

Glad you got where you wanted to. You kept your brain younger today. :p

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Actually, the ELR website does what I need. I didn't realize that when I posted this. But it's good to know how to do the math.

That's true. I daresay the more recent generations of people who've operated cash registers couldn't make change the old-fashioned way if their lives depended on it -- too used to letting the electronics tell them how much change to give. ;-) I've considered doing my own eliquid in the way you mentioned, having a pre-mixed base, and then adding the pre-mixed flavors to it... but math really does make my brain hurt, so I just mix from scratch; it takes about 20 minutes start to finish, even including the clean-up time, and I can live with that.

Andria

ilikeitfruity

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, so my brain's back in gear (mostly). Basically, you just divide each of the individual flavor percentages by the total flavor percentage of the juice and multiply each of those results by 100. I've rounded out the percentages to 1/100th of a percent so the total for the flavor base is slightly off of an even 100%.

Ingredient 1 - 5%
Ingredient 2 - 3%
Ingredient 3 - 2%
Ingredient 4 - 3%
Ingredient 5 - 4%
Total percentage needed for recipe: 17%

So, we divide each ingredient by 17, then multiply by 100:
Ingredient 1 - 29.41%
Ingredient 2 - 17.65%
Ingredient 3 - 11.76%
Ingredient 4 - 17.65%
Ingredient 5 - 23.51%
Total (rounded) percentage needed for flavor base: 99.98%

Now, with your flavor base already mixed, just use it as the only flavoring at 17% in your favorite juice calculator.

Loving your work, thank you or this. I will have to check out this elr people speak of.
I actually didn't enter a recipe competition because this maths was beyond me so thank you again.

VU Sponsors