Become a Patron!

Recipes Suggestion

WZV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am a web designer by trade, but I'm no developer. I have an idea that I'd like to give you guys here at VU.

There are plenty of sites out there that offer recipes, we all know. But I think that having a recipe section of VU would be great for the community. Not just threads about recipes, but a recipe database.

Why do this when there are so many other places to get recipes already? Well, firstly, all the other ones suck. They really suck. Also, my idea could really separate this recipe book from the rest: Allow the user to search recipes by the flavors and ingredients that they already have.

Instead of sifting through hundreds of recipes to find one that you can make with what you have on hand, you can search specifically for ones that you're able to make right now.

Just my two cents.

rjmara

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That would be awesome,I was just thinking about this today,as I look at all my flavors and thought,what could I make from this?
As I am just getting into DYI juice I don't have a ton of flavors to choose from,and I could benefit from this greatly.

WZV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys. I think it would be better for it to be built onto VU rather than a stand-alone website because it would be integrated into the community.

TamiPac

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm really liking this forum, it seems to really be all about getting us together in a place where we can learn and share. I think your idea would be a fantastic way to help us all out. With places trying to ban flavored juice we need it! I know the recipes are available on web sites that are selling DIY products but for those trying to start they may or may not know where those are and will be coming here to find answers.
ecigexpress has a great recipe book format, perhaps that could be one of the models?

WZV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think you may find some resistance from some of the recipe contributors for reasons that have been discussed extensively in the diy forum!

I don't know what resistance we could encounter. If there are recipe contributors, then they are most likely going to be on board with the idea, I'd think.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
my 2 cents on it. I think its a good idea or the thought of it would be ok but I dont think the end result would be any different than what we have now. DIY is bigger than a recipe book. thats why there is an entire category with sub catagories dedicated to it. when you are new to DIY you have a limited list of flavors. the odds of you finding a recipe that you have all the flavors for and would like to make are pretty slim. asking questions and getting advice in the general discussion is the best way to find out what you can do with the flavors you have. just say hey, I have x flavor and x flavor . what can i make. usually works like a charm. I had a similar idea when i started.I downloaded a million recipes got all the flavors and made crap mixes left and right. just because you have the right flavors for said recipe that its going to be any good. to make good juice you have to understand why it is you are doing something. apple at 5% means nothing unless you understand why and have tried apple at 1-2-3-4-6-7-8 and 9% maybe i like it at 5% and you like it at 3%. you may scrap my recipe and discard it as junk when you could have simply interacted with one of the mixers before even making the recipe and got closer on your first attempt at the recipe. recipes are simply guidelines. I think the system provided is very efficient in learning to DIY. it would be a lot of work probably with a low success rate. there are plenty of experienced mixers on VU that are more than willing to help you get on your feet. once you are up and running the recipes section becomes more of an idea list than a recipe book. it might be a feature used by a few but doubt it would be a game changer. everyone already knows VU has the best DIY section. no need to change what works.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know what resistance we could encounter. If there are recipe contributors, then they are most likely going to be on board with the idea, I'd think.

i am against it.. ;)
i dont think VaporJoe will let you modify his database to add your scripting in..
I dont want to join yet another site to fill out all my recipes, that are already all over the globe..

I like the forum format..
I try to help out where I can and when I have the time..
I might not write too well like HIC.. but I know here is home..

yes we might fuss fight argue and question a ton of things, but we are all friends here, and that is something a recipe site can not allow..
i tend to hold both my friends and my recipes close..

I am sorry but this is how I feel on it..

Last edited:

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i am against it.. ;)
i dont think VaporJoe will let you modify his database to add your scripting in..
I dont want to join yet another site to fill out all my recipes, that are already all over the globe..

I like the forum format, and I try to help where I can..
I try to help out where I can and when I have the time..
I might not write too well like HIC.. but I know here is home..

yes we might fuss fight argue and question a ton of things, but we are all friends here, and that is something a recipe site can not allow..
i tend to hold both my friends and my recipes close..

I am sorry but this is how I feel on it..
double ditto

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As a regular DIYer and one that studies the words of wisdom from the last three posters (Amanda, Wllmc, and SmokeyBlue) I will have to whole heartedly agree with everything they have said.

They had something similar in the TFA recipie thread over on ECF and it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.

Your welcome to go over there and mix up some "fan favorites" for yourself. I wasn't that impressed. My learning was minuscule in comparison to this forum format here on VU and this particular group of mixers are the best I've ever seen, and very helpful especially if you actually participate inside the recipie threads they have posted for us.

They know the ins ind outs of their recipies and what will or will not work for substitutions, enhancements , and any inside info of why " this works with that"

A star rating and listing of flavor combos feels to me like it would be a " DIY for dummies" cheat notebook .

I'll have to give it a " triple ditto"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Making my own has been on my mind and would be my next step, "sounds like a great idea

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I like the interaction in the recipes forum. You don't get that from a recipe book. When I read reviews for food recipes, that's where I find the tweaks that worked for others. Just like Tball said. It's the same with DIY.

People mix recipes and never post their thoughts, which is what a book would be like. I like to learn from others as much as about them. It's where the good stuff is. I don't need a book, I have a community.

Sent from my stupid iPhone because I don't have an Android.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
dont want to get off topic but its kinda on topic as well. whats been mentioned twice is community and friends. thats what fuels VU in each category. DIY is no different . Im on several vaping forums. like @Smoky Blue Ive gone international lmao ! but VU is home. I was skeptical about this forum and the DIY section in the beginning but the word got out. I started seeing familiar faces and made lots of new friends. the DIY section here is among the best of any other. someone here knows about the flavor you are working with. there might not even be a recipe for it out but I know someone here has used it and does have a recipe for it. only way to get that information is to ask. a database will never give you that. smoky is right also. we sometimes argue and dont always see eye to eye but we all have something in common. creativity. thats what pushes to keep getting better. we always high five and make up and walk away with something learned. the people here are kind and enjoy helping others. I have watched other forums and how frustrating it is to get help or not be in a group of snobs that think your amature questions are stupid. I dont see that here. I have watched people learn here on VU faster than anywhere else because of the generous amount of information given here freely. I see people here doing things in a couple months that took me a year to learn other places.

VU Sponsors