Become a Patron!

Recommendations for beginner coil building

Which of these items is the most appropriate or recommended tool for beginner coil building?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
IMG_0431.JPG
Please vote or reply with additional commentary.
Appreciation in advance.

VU is my vaping Graceland. derp
IMG_0432.JPG

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Coil Master v4
If you want to make something other than simple stuff with round wire, the v4 is the only jig that will make it easier because it has the leg slot.
I'm sure others have made similar alterations to their jigs by now.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Coil master coiler V4 is so easy , just wind it up ,
Or
the other by geek vapes has a bit more kit / tools i coiling poles 4 x screw driver bits ,
+ Ceramic tweezers and tank remover
abb04c20d9ce6acbabf2e1dc2f8b2188.jpg
f2a4a129814fd149c6261074b4ca7a6a.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Coil master V4 is great little kit too , extra long poles , in a handy little bag ,
Perfect for single wire coils ,
Use this for my spaced 26g SS builds
3d061bc8f75551c230042e3437027dcb.jpg

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've seen ceramic coil jigs recently that look like they'd be useful for firing while it's wound round that.
ce6c6ed46a713b3c87fcde7ec5682d24.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
+1 for the Coil Master V4. I also have the UD coil jig which is much tidier since the fittings all fit neatly inside the jig, plus it's a little larger making it easier to handle/wind. The small recess on the V4 gives it the edge if you are wanting to wind thicker than average wire. If you are not going to be winding anything too large then the UD jig is probably my favourite but larger wires won't fit through the hole which is where the recess on the V4 comes in handy. Personally I just bought both!
The tool in figure A is great if you want to hand wind your wire which I never personally do however, I find it really useful for handling my coils as I fit and adjust them to my attys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When I got my first rebuildable I priced all the tools to make coils with - flush cutters, needle nose pliers, bent and ceramic tweezers, precision screwdrivers, ohm meter, and then priced the coilmaster v3 coiling kit which had all that stuff in it plus it had the v4 coil jig kit, scissors, and some wire and cotton in a handy case to keep it all tidy for about the same price.

In my case I'm happy I bought it even though a lot of people will tell me I'm crazy to spend 40 bucks on the kit when all you need is a screwdriver and a pair of fingernail cutters and some wire.

True, it's not absolutely necessary, but it takes a big load off your mind when you're already stressed out learning to make coils. Everything is a tad easier when you have the right tools.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There aslso coil winders automatic battery powered or mod powered , Clapton jig

Battery powered coil magician
Plenty of options ,
Its Easier than you think to get Perfect coils in seconds , and needed cist a fortune , how much are pre made 2-5£ each need 1 -2 a week over how long , works out so much cheaper to buy a jig an build them
4c84b360378e231812f48ae2afe63af5.jpg
c1c4bb49e785993dbf7eb8618861cc7e.jpg
046a0c56746c6f97dd747cbd9c3f0634.jpg
9bc1ef732be4285c3ef6a8ced9530860.jpg

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
One thing to note with the coil fundi is that it's not compatible with spring loaded 510 connections.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Bit on the slow side as well. The daedalus is a good kit but a little on the pricey side. Better ordering that from fasttech cause it's a fair bit cheaper

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Daedalus only does claptons (and maybe normal coils) as far as I know. For specialty coils, a cordless drill is your best friend.

For regular coils, I agree with everyone else that Coil Master kits are where it's at. If you have a 24mm atomizer, the V2 will be sufficient. For bigger atomizers like the Obese Buddha and Mason 40, you should get the V3 or V4, as the V2 doesn't have enough room on the ohm reader to mount larger atomizers. It's very hard to eff up your coils with these kits.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No daedalus will do fused claptons as well and it does make wrapping a clapton before you wrap an alien effortless, as long as it's on a smooth surface it just pushes itself backwards. I broke mine a while ago, due to being a heavy handed Bastard, now the drill bit doesn't work but the thing that holds your spool and feeds wire out, the g clamp and swivels are all useful stuff and I'm sure you can buy them separately on fasttech as well. I do agree a cordless drill can't be beaten for speed but I do find myself missing the drill part of the daedalus as it just sat better on the desk.
I personally just bought myself a cheap set of engineering screwdrivers for wrapping coils and then bought ceramic tweezers and wire clippers separately as it was cheaper. Also the best scissors ya can buy are deadheadz pruning scissors. Sharp as fuck.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Every time I see the clapton jigs and machines mentioned, I have to point out that a spool tamer will make clapton for you and you can do any build with the drill.
I also like to point out that clapton isn't hard to do with just a drill and swivels. It does take practice to be able to keep your hand perfectly perpendicular as you go but that's not required to make clapton.
My very first time picking up a spool was a win and that was with no instruction, shitty wire and cheap swivels. It blew my mind that a machine was ever made to do it.
The key is to just go really fast with a bit of tension on the spool and very little on the drill, just enough to keep the line tight.

And as easy as it is to make a coil I can't imagine who out there bought an electric coil jig. I'd love to see it wrap a 16ply with 26g frames. (j/k, it's clearly not ment for that)

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did learn how to wrap claptons freehand to start with, I have very calloused hands so just pinching the wire I can get nice tight wraps. That was before learning about swivels and the coil tamer you're talking about. I've never seen one myself as I mainly order online but have seen videos that show it being done with one hand on the drill and just spinning away. I did find it useful for automated claptons when setting up core wires for alien build but I'm back to using a drill since I broke a gear in the daedalus.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Another vote for coilmaster V4 :)

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not sure. I notice that a couple of my regular retailers note this in the description. ??

For $10 I'm gonna order one and see. I'll let you know. :) Worst comes to worst, I'll get a mech clone of some kind to use it with.

VU Sponsors