Become a Patron!

Recommended power bank to charge regulated mods

TheKylus

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys,

With all the new mods that allows for fast charging, balanced charging, etc. I was thinking of getting a power bank for those tough time when you have no spare batteries on you and really need some juice.

Would something like this be safe?

http://zerolemon.com/product/usb-ct...e-2-0-for-apple-macbook-pixel-c-samsung-more/

https://www.anker.com/products/B1372111

Considering I own a Oneplus 3, the type C option would be a total plus for me but how safe is it to charge a regulated mod with those kind of power banks/portable battery charger?

Everyone is welcome to brainstorm here!

Thanks.

Last edited:

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've used many items like that for my phone when at concerts but never to charge a mod.
Many of them just have 18650 batteries in them.
They'll be slow to charge because all it is really doing is sharing the power and leveling off ALL batteries to the same level.
Won't hurt to use something like that but it'd be just as easy to carry additional batteries.
However if you can use it for other devices as well it is a multi-tool so nothing lost.
There are MANY different ones out there so just do your research.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Most mods can't handle a charge above 1 amp. You have three one amp ports, according to the article. Don't fuck up and hook it to the wrong port.

Also, the 30,000 mah capacity is probably over rated. There are a shit ton of power banks coming from China, and most all of them over state their actual capacity.

Personally, I would likely just buy a mod that I could exchange the batteries, as only partially charging likely will ruin the internal batteries life.

TheKylus

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am curious about Anker's PowerIQ option:-

PowerIQ™ technology dynamically detects and adapts to your device's unique charging protocol enabling it to charge at full speed. So thanks to PowerIQ™, together with Anker's industry-leading power output, charge faster and save time.

I confirm that the PowerCore+ 26800 does use panasonic battery cells too, no idea what the ZeroLemon ToughJuice packs. Would a power bank with a Li-Po battery be more effective? I currently use an Opus BT-C3100 to charge my 18650 cells, works fine so far but it does get quite noisy sometimes!

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My first thought when I read the what it was:
a LEMON is a piece of shit car you buy from a shady character that knew it was bad when they sold it to you.
ZeroLemon - .... well I put that in the same class as any battery with the word FIRE in its name.
If it isn't a lemon there is no reason to call it not a lemon.
Just the way my brain works sometimes.
lol

I'm not a Li-Po user so unfortunately I can't help.
As I said I feel comfortable using extension packs to get a bit more time of use out of my cell phone but I personally wouldn't use one on my mod unless I knew for 100% certainty it could fully charge the batteries in my mod.
Even then I'd prefer to just carry extra 18650s to know I'm safe.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just don't get this one :D
dd2e.jpeg

There are also sand filled 18650s and the good thing about them is that they will never explode :D

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They give you much less then you bargained for AND make you carry sand

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Panasonic 18650s are just fine for a high speed charging power bank. No need for Lipos. You gotta remember high speed charging we're talking 2A, maybe 3A, split among multiple 18650s so they're only seeing less than an amp each. Nothing like e-cigarette usage where you're pushing 20A or something from an 18650.

A quality new power bank can charge just as quickly and safely as any wall charger, so it'll work fine. Main thing to be careful of is they all way overstate their mAh so it might not charge it nearly as many times as it says it will. Other thing to keep in mind is that the charging on your mod won't be as safe or fast as the Opus is, but that has nothing to do with the power bank.

VU Sponsors