Become a Patron!

Red/orange cotton

ObxChef

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why does my cotton turn this color. I run .3 nic. So my eliquid is rather clear in color. I can replace my cotton, clean my rda, even slap a new build in. And it changes color. After ablht two days it become really harsh and I have to start the process all over.

MorpheusPA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could something in your liquid be oxidizing on the cotton, or reacting with it?

I suppose it's faintly possible that the color is coming from the metal in your build (not the wire, but the posts), but I'm going to simply throw that out there while saying that it seems really unlikely.

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My Royal Hunter will turn cotton bright orange sometimes.

Its the only thing Ive got that will do that.
Also, it could be the ingredients of the juice, im not sure.

It only happened with some cheap local juice now that I think of it.
Though they closed down since then, Ive heard they used everclear in their liquids, so maybe this?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had the gold plating on the center post in the Stillare RDA turn my cotton a orange rust color because it was wearing off..threw that thing in the garbage.. So much for gold plating, lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ObxChef

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well! I use the local juice. Idk what the actual ingredients are but I know them very well. That could be. The local juice! But it happens in all four of my drippers. I have a royal hunter as well and a gold plated rda. Glacier v2. You guys actually helped alot. More then anyone else could give me. It

ObxChef

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh! It also gets really harsh. I cnt reber if I said that, but I have to replace the cotton once every like three days or so. I haven't bought name brand juice in a while because money is tight. But thanks again guys. And more insight would still be grately appreciated

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe someone like @OBDave or @Huckleberried who makes juices could chime in on if certain ingredients can cause this.

Hope you get a definite answer, I was always curious about this as well.

ObxChef

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Isn't everclear alcohol? Like what people soak gummie bears in?

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have left my cotton wicked on my rda's I'm not using and they have turned orange, but not my nickel or titanium builds.....what that means I have no idea...

Generally it seems like some sort of rust color or some kind of oxidation but exactly what's causing it I have never thought about it, I just rewick.

ObxChef

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just blow threw juice and cotton from it. Only issue ya know. I even went and replaced the grub nuts in my glacier and still does it. Just weird. I'd like to know what I'm vaping if it is what's in the juice.

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Isn't everclear alcohol? Like what people soak gummie bears in?
Yeah, but aparently in small amounts it keeps the juice from carmalizing?

Ill post a screen shot of the disgruntled employee who made the claim.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had vendor liquids turn my wicks color - anything from a pinkish/reddish hue to vaguely orange. It seemed to happen more when I was vaping cheap fruit-flavored house liquids from a local shop right before I started mixing my own - haven't noticed it since, not sure if there's something about a certain flavor manufacturer or what that causes it. I also noticed having to re-wick a lot more frequently - with my own blends my RDA wicks easily last 50 ml or more, and I get 4-5 re-wicks out of a coil just by doing a good dry burn at every wick change.

I'm also using Rayon exclusively these days, and IIRC I was more of a cotton guy back when I was getting the discoloration, harshness, and need to re-wick constantly. I just got some cotton pads thrown in as a freebie with a recent @Breazy_Com order, maybe I'll try them on my next build to see if it might be a wick material issue, but I've been vaping the piss out of my Crown tank since it came in, too lazy to build until the Velocity clones I ordered a couple weeks ago show up...

For @ObxChef, if you're really wanting to cheap out now might be the time to try DIY - you can get a sample vial of nic from Nude Nicotine for like $2, some small bottles of PG and VG, plus a few flavorings and a couple syringes from either @Roundhouse and Bull City or @Donovan (ECX Flavor Lab) and E-Cig Express (my two favorite vendors) and have enough to crank out a few hundred ml of liquid for like 20 bucks. If you're vaping cheap house liquid like I was before I started it's probably single-flavor and really easy to replicate - I'm admittedly biased but I firmly believe we've got one of the best DIY communities on the interweb, check out the DIY subs and folks here will be more than happy to get you started...

EDIT: It occurs to me that since I've gotten lazy and reverted to tanks, I'm using cotton in those - I'm still not getting the discoloration OP describes, just crusty black crud that, when sufficiently accumulated, causes me to toss the coil.

Last edited:

ObxChef

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been thinking about. I really have. But I have a girl and she hates that I even vape. Or smoked or or drinks or does like anything at all. Ha

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been thinking about. I really have. But I have a girl and she hates that I even vape. Or smoked or or drinks or does like anything at all. Ha
Ouch. I had one of those once. Traded her in for a different model that appreciates what I bring to the table despite my shortcomings in exchange for my doing the same for her. But whatever floats your boat - if you're trading smoking for vaping in a quest to trade vaping for doing nothing that doesn't piss her off I wish you luck!

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a thought.

Some vendors(and DIY'ers) will add a touch of water to high VG juice. That could cause rusting. I've never had wicking turn red but then I've never used max VG so maybe there is something to it.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
After reading everything here, I wonder if sweetener in mixes causes it? I don't recall my wicks ever turning this color, and I know they haven't since I started mixing my own. I don't use sweeteners in my mixes, but I know many of the vendor juices seem to be overly sweetened. Not all, but many that I've tried.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's caused by 2 main things, Heat oxidizing ejuice in the cotton, a Malliard reaction, like making toast - the heat causes the sugars in the bread to change color. The second thing is the nicotine oxidizing with heat, that often gives a dark color or reddish hue. The combination of VG plus flavorings and nic all contribute to the change in color and the icky taste. Simply rewick your atty every day if you are using it a lot. Simple Fix.

ObxChef

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel like I'll never figure it out. So many things could make it change like that it seams. But yes guys, girlfriends sucks. She cool. But every relationship is the same. Ha-ha. Let's be real here. No matter what, you will never win with a women.

VU Sponsors