Become a Patron!

Regular coil changing & lack of taste - the usual..

Hey guys & girls,

I am new to building my own coils and i have been having to change my coils every couple of days which can be annoying but luckily i use the reels of coil wire.

I have tried building with Dynas Juggernaut wire as well as Dynas half staggered fused clapton wire but both give me similar results. I have been doing 3-5 wraps of 3mm but they both keep burning out very fast.

I am using a Ammit 22mm RTA on a Wismec RX Gen3 Dual mod.

Mod/Coil is currently running at 0.38ohms, 3.38v & 30W-40W.

Someone help :(.

I have attached an image currently of the mod/coil which was changed yesterday and the coil already looks like it's darkening.

2cypqic.jpg

aeunno.jpg

GrayG70

Member For 1 Year
Your coils arent burning it, if it tastes burnt change the cotton, every couple of days is fine for changing the cotton, to clean your coils, wash them, dry them off and dry burn the coils without cotton in and use something to scrape the black crud off the coils, ya can buy little wire brushes designed for this job, it works, gets them nice and clean, rewick with cotton and jobs done. Depending on juice i use i usually rewick every 2 to 3 days because i vape lots of desserts juice, i use Alien wire, 4.5 wraps at 3mm, dial coil gives me .2ohms, a single coil would be somewhere between .4 to .45ohms. and i vape around 65 watts. at the ohms on yours i would probably be around 50 watts, certainly not under 40.
Theres lots of answers, but cleaning your coils and rewicking should solve the issue, certainly dont need to fit new coils every 2 days.

Hi GrayG70,

Thank you very much for your help!

Is there any particular company of coil brand you use? I tend to use Amazon as it's good for next day delivery.

GrayG70

Member For 1 Year
i build my own with Alien wire, any brand of wire on a 5m roll, if you want to buy prebuilt try Demon Killer coils, they are reasonably priced, the worst ive used isvandy vape staggered clapton, horrible wire to build with and lots of imperfections and overpriced.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I've only noticed a couple few things from Amazon in regards to vaping, and none looked worthy.
I wouldn't buy Demon Killer.

Advanced Vape Supply has some complex wire. Claptons, fused claptons, and such. It's all SS and they have wire and pre-coiled. Code AVS for 20% off atm and they ship fast, goes out same day if you don't order too late. If you get any, ss dry burns very differenty than what you've been using and good for wattage or TC mode.

Lighting Vapes is another place to look. Kidney Puncher has very good wire but I don't think any of it is complex, except their premade.

Note that I don't think a machine has been invented to decore or alien wrap coil cores. Anyone can say their coil is alien but that doesn't make it so. You want handbuilt for alien.
I consider something like Coilology Handbuilt coils as budget friendly handmade aliens. Just make sure it says handbuilt on the lid, the 'performance' labeled won't be true aliens, but sill good and better than a lot of the less expensive.

There's a couple members/vendors with member discount here that are pro coil builders. I use Frailien coils in my single coil RTA's and they are fanatstic. Last about 2 months each.

Are you changing your coil because it's darkening? Or because of flavor? It's going to darken, and from what I can see, I don't really see a lot of gunky build up.

VU Sponsors