Become a Patron!

Regular round wire & specialty/exotic wire

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
So I've only been building for a short time, maybe a month or so.

I started with regular round wire then moved onto all the different specialty wire like claptons and staples. I don't make my own wire yet, just buy spooled clapton wire or whatever else. I actually have a surplus of all different kinds of regular round wire and specialty wire. Once I leaned how to wrap my own coils I moved right into exclusively using all the exotic wire.

I vape alot because I was a heavy smoker. Sunday I put a 10 wrap 24 or 26 (can't recall which it was) dual coil build in my wife's rda. Also put a 6 wrap 26gx2/36g dual coil build in my rdta the same day. Now I know I vape alot more then she does but yesterday my coils burnt out. Tasted nasty and coils looked terrible. Put a new build in my deck and also looked at the wife's build to see if she needed some new coils. Her coils looked the same as the day I put them in 4 days before so I just rewicked it.

So does round wire last that much longer then the exotic builds (i know i read that somewhere it does) or is it just due to the fact that i vape alot more then she does that my coils burnt out that quick?

When I first started building I was usually putting a new build in my deck every day or every other day. Learning how to build right and trying different builds to see what I like so I never really did a time comparison between the two.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All depends on the quality of wire you use, if you use quality real Sandvik wire it will last a long time. Example I make my own fused claptons, which my go to is 28x2/38 (sometimes 40g wrapping wire) which I build around 0.11Ω to 0.18Ω (80-130 watts for you regulated mod users) and they last for months. Chinese shitwire like KBee a month if you're lucky.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Something is wrong there, my could last for months. I do change out the cotton and clean them up usually once or twice a week.

I agree with @ro55co
You need to use quality wire.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away.

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
All depends on the quality of wire you use, if you use quality real Sandvik wire it will last a long time. Example I make my own fused claptons, which my go to is 28x2/38 (sometimes 40g wrapping wire) which I build around 0.11Ω to 0.18Ω (80-130 watts for you regulated mod users) and they last for months. Chinese shitwire like KBee a month if you're lucky.

I just buy already spooled clapton wire from Advancedvapesupply.com or lightningvapes.com. Everybody told me those 2 places were great places to get wire but I can't say that they use "sandvik" wire.

I guess sandvik wire is a brand of wire? Have to look into that I guess

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
I buy a lot of wire from Lightning Vapes, their wire has always been good for me.

When you say your coils are burning out, what are they doing?

If they are just getting gunked up and looking bad maybe they just need to be cleaned up and re-wicked.

Are you using a mech mod or a regulated device?

What kind of wattage do you vape at?

Sent from a Galaxy far far away.

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
Well, the vape tasted really burnt. I did dry fire my coils to clean them up when I got home. They looked like crap, really dark and discolored, though i saw a little brown discoloration i took for rust, even after I dry fired them and wire brushed them. I didn't rewick them and just put in a new build. This is all still new to me so maybe they were still good, idk.

I tend to wick my coils tight to get as much cotton as I can in there. Idk if that's choking out my coils causing them to burn up or I just jumped the gun and they were fine.

I didn't do the little stream of water on the coils trick and dry fire to clean that way. Maybe that would have cotton the coils looking a little better or maybe that's just how coils look after being vaped on for awhile.

Also using a regulated mod usually vaping between 60-80 watts.

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just buy already spooled clapton wire from Advancedvapesupply.com or lightningvapes.com. Everybody told me those 2 places were great places to get wire but I can't say that they use "sandvik" wire.

Sandvik have been around for ages and actually hold a patent on Kanthal and other alloys. It's smelted in Sweden and milled in the US. The vendors I use are
  • Kidney Pucher
  • Atomizer Wick
  • Temco

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

It could be your juice has a lot of sweetners opposed to your wife’s unless you both vape the same juice. @advancedvapesupply and @LightningVapes do carry good wire/coils. Just gently dry burn them on low wattage & give them a gentle clean with a coil brush or soft toothbrush & rinse & dry. Then rewick.

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
It could be your juice has a lot of sweetners opposed to your wife’s unless you both vape the same juice. @advancedvapesupply and @LightningVapes do carry good wire/coils. Just gently dry burn them on low wattage & give them a gentle clean with a coil brush or soft toothbrush & rinse & dry. Then rewick.

We both use the same juice. Mostly fruity juices, the last kind i bought the retailer assured me they use a really low percentage of sweeteners in there juices.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I've only been building for a short time, maybe a month or so.

I started with regular round wire then moved onto all the different specialty wire like claptons and staples. I don't make my own wire yet, just buy spooled clapton wire or whatever else. I actually have a surplus of all different kinds of regular round wire and specialty wire. Once I leaned how to wrap my own coils I moved right into exclusively using all the exotic wire.

I vape alot because I was a heavy smoker. Sunday I put a 10 wrap 24 or 26 (can't recall which it was) dual coil build in my wife's rda. Also put a 6 wrap 26gx2/36g dual coil build in my rdta the same day. Now I know I vape alot more then she does but yesterday my coils burnt out. Tasted nasty and coils looked terrible. Put a new build in my deck and also looked at the wife's build to see if she needed some new coils. Her coils looked the same as the day I put them in 4 days before so I just rewicked it.

So does round wire last that much longer then the exotic builds (i know i read that somewhere it does) or is it just due to the fact that i vape alot more then she does that my coils burnt out that quick?

When I first started building I was usually putting a new build in my deck every day or every other day. Learning how to build right and trying different builds to see what I like so I never really did a time comparison between the two.
Your 6 wrap coils are ramping much faster than your wife's 10 wrap coils and it's that fast ramp up that's frying your cotton and cooking your ejuice. Because of the additional wraps, your wife's 10 wrap coils could take more wattage than your 6 wrap coils. You can either drop the wattage and slowly work up until you find your sweet spot with the 6 wraps or try 10 wraps on your rdta and see how that works.

I had to do this with my 28/40 fused Clapton's because 5 wraps was ramping too fast. After tinkering I've found 8 wraps to be perfect for how I build my coils and vape.:)

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your 6 wrap coils are ramping much faster than your wife's 10 wrap coils and it's that fast ramp up that's frying your cotton and cooking your ejuice. Because of the additional wraps, your wife's 10 wrap coils could take more wattage than your 6 wrap coils. You can either drop the wattage and slowly work up until you find your sweet spot with the 6 wraps or try 10 wraps on your rdta and see how that works.

I had to do this with my 28/40 fused Clapton's because 5 wraps was ramping too fast. After tinkering I've found 8 wraps to be perfect for how I build my coils and vape.:)
Good catch! That might just be the issue as I’m out of ideas :D only thing I’ll add is to give the coils a quick rinse under tap water & dry & when using the wire brush be gentle.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good catch! That might just be the issue as I’m out of ideas :D only thing I’ll add is to give the coils a quick rinse under tap water & dry & when using the wire brush be gentle.
Thanks hearts. :)

I agree with your idea of running the coils under tap water to help rinse off any gunk that fried after the dry burn. I'm guilty of not always doing this so thanks for reminding me. :teehee:

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
You guys know more then me but I constantly see reviewers and such running the same type of coils at 100+ watts. Is that just for show and not a realistic thing to do?

I also thought regular round wire ramps up faster then claptons. I believe the build in my wife's RDA was 26g. The claptons I used were 2x26g with a 36g wrap making them over twice the thickness of the 26g round wire I used for her build. If anything I figure the wire mass would be somewhat the same as 2x26g 6wraps would equate to 12 wraps of regular 26g wire plus the 36g outer wrap I would have thought the claptons I used would have needed more watts to heat the coil efficiently.

Like I said I definitely don't know much and just assuming but I guess I'm assuming terribly wrong.

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
The vape tool app I have on my phone also recommended a lowest recommended wattage of 66watts for that build i used. That's about where I was vaping at definitely never really went above 75watts

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You guys know more then me but I constantly see reviewers and such running the same type of coils at 100+ watts. Is that just for show and not a realistic thing to do?

I also thought regular round wire ramps up faster then claptons. I believe the build in my wife's RDA was 26g. The claptons I used were 2x26g with a 36g wrap making them over twice the thickness of the 26g round wire I used for her build. If anything I figure the wire mass would be somewhat the same as 2x26g 6wraps would equate to 12 wraps of regular 26g wire plus the 36g outer wrap I would have thought the claptons I used would have needed more watts to heat the coil efficiently.

Like I said I definitely don't know much and just assuming but I guess I'm assuming terribly wrong.
If you can post pics of your rdta and build. Coil placement to the airflow is important. If the coil is too far away from the airflow you won't get a sufficient amount of air to keep the coil from getting too hot.

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
I can't at the moment as I switched to my regular freemax tank today. It sucks not using a rebuildable but it's better then smoking cigarettes like I was doing yesterday.

I have the pyro though and the top cap shape makes it really compact with coils in it. There's really not much room to move your coils around to much. I'll keep that in mind for my next builds though.

Should I build it so my coils sit directly in front of the airflow slots or a little above them?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just curious, after you guys clean your coils and dry fire them do they still look all brown/black like before you cleaned them?
Nope, like I stated earlier it depends greatly on the quality of wire which is why I only use brands that source real Sandvik wire

Example, this set of coils were 4 months old when I took the picture and I vape rather hot.

rYsgsPS.jpg

Another set that when I took the photo were around 5 months

SyDB0Y6.jpg

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
Nope, like I stated earlier it depends greatly on the quality of wire which is why I only use brands that source real Sandvik wire

Example, this set of coils were 4 months old when I took the picture and I vape rather hot.

rYsgsPS.jpg

SyDB0Y6.jpg

Yea if your coils look like that after 4 months then either I'm doing something wrong or the wire I have is cheap. Did you do the water rinse thing to clean your coils or just dry fired those?

Maybe I'm not pulsing my coils enough, have to try some things out next time I do.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't at the moment as I switched to my regular freemax tank today. It sucks not using a rebuildable but it's better then smoking cigarettes like I was doing yesterday.

I have the pyro though and the top cap shape makes it really compact with coils in it. There's really not much room to move your coils around to much. I'll keep that in mind for my next builds though.

Should I build it so my coils sit directly in front of the airflow slots or a little above them?
The pyro is different from the usual side airflow attys due to the ramp under the airflow slot. I would watch some YouTube videos from various reviewers to see how they place their coils. Some reviews I recall watching had the coils closer together towards the middle of the deck and others had the coils closer to the edge of the deck. It's going to take some experimentation on your part to find your personal sweet spot.

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
The pyro is different from the usual side airflow attys due to the ramp under the airflow slot. I would watch some YouTube videos from various reviewers to see how they place their coils. Some reviews I recall watching had the coils closer together towards the middle of the deck and others had the coils closer to the edge of the deck. It's going to take some experimentation on your part to find your personal sweet spot.

Yea so I think it might have been a mix of a few things. I watched some reviews before I bought the pyro but just watched one that explained the airflow better. I might have been placing my coils to low and not close enough.

I'll try a few things and see how it goes.

Thanks you guys for all your help. I'll report back later with what happens

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea if your coils look like that after 4 months then either I'm doing something wrong or the wire I have is cheap. Did you do the water rinse thing to clean your coils or just dry fired those?

Maybe I'm not pulsing my coils enough, have to try some things out next time I do.
99% comes down to wire quality, I pulse and clean my wire on average twice a week.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yea so I think it might have been a mix of a few things. I watched some reviews before I bought the pyro but just watched one that explained the airflow better. I might have been placing my coils to low and not close enough.

I'll try a few things and see how it goes.

Thanks you guys for all your help. I'll report back later with what happens
Sounds good. Keep playing with it and you'll get it sorted out. :)

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yea I take really big hits looking for that big nicotine cloud. Her not so much, sometimes she wants a big hit but definitely not like me.

By the way advancedvapesupply she's using your 24mm boaz rda lol
If you both make sure that you continue breathing in for a half a second after you let go of the fire button, it will cool your coils and keep juice from frying which is one of the big reasons that coils gunk up. If you make sure that the coils are never sizzling away with no airflow, the longevity of the coils and wick will go way up. It can be hard to do at first but it becomes automatic. By the way I hope she likes the boaz!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
If you both make sure that you continue breathing in for a half a second after you let go of the fire button, it will cool your coils and keep juice from frying which is one of the big reasons that coils gunk up. If you make sure that the coils are never sizzling away with no airflow, the longevity of the coils and wick will go way up. It can be hard to do at first but it becomes automatic. By the way I hope she likes the boaz!

Thanks @advancedvapesupply , any chance I can get you guys to confirm you use Sandvik brand wire for making your prespooled claptons? Or the brand of wire you use?

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks @advancedvapesupply , any chance I can get you guys to confirm you use Sandvik brand wire for making your prespooled claptons? Or the brand of wire you use?
We do not use sandvik. When we started the company we tried nearly every American source for metal and settled on one that we feel has the best flavor and performance, and that's the one we have stuck with. I have nothing bad to say about sandvik in terms of quality. We are just different, and we (and many of our customers) feel it's one of our advantages in terms of stainless steel.

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
So a little report back, it seems after a day or 2 my coils seem to get gunked up pretty quick.

I bought the drop solo, a little single atty rda. Been vaping it around 40watts and it was ok for a day or so. By the 2nd day the coils turned dark on the top and I was getting a burnt hit.

I turned the wattage up the 2nd day to about 50 watts. Looking for that little extra nicotine. After a little bit of pulling on it I noticed black burnt gunk on the top of my coil and started tasting burnt hits. Wick was turning a nasty brown/burnt color too.

Juice is homemade with no sweeteners in it. Just regular grape, strawberry, BlackBerry and black cheery mixes. High vg 80+ so I guess that might be a reason why?

I dry fired and cleaned/rinsed them a few times and they lasted another day before I had to do the same.

I really want to enjoy rda's and dripping but if I have to dry fire and rewick everyday it's going to become a chore more then a habit. I really won't enjoy trying to dry fire and clean my coils at work.

Sometimes I work extremely long days and hours. Rewicking in the middle of a long work day isn't something I look forward to. If it lasted at least about every 3 days I could make it work. At what point should I just get myself one of the new mesh sub ohm tanks for work and not have to worry about it?

Last edited:

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
I’m no expert by any means but I get the best time between rewicking using high gauge parallels slightly spaced. I think it’s mostly about how fast the coils cool. I like my fancy coils mind you, but if I’m going for longevity that’s what I do. I also will have two or three rda’s In rotation to switch between. That being said if I leave the house I’m taking a sub-ohm. I’m on an extremely limited budget and running rda’s at home still saves me coin. If I ever find the right rta for me I’ll probably switch to that for on the go or entirely.

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
My girls been vaping on the same coil and wick for 2 weeks lol. Still looks fine, I think it's cause I chain vape

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
I’m at somewhere between 120 and 150 ml a week so I understand. If I’m just vaping on a single rda using a complex coil it’s two days max before I’m rewicking. Using parallels it’s three days occasionally four. I’m one of those people that won’t do something once it feels to much like a chore so having several ready to go is the only way I can do it.

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year
You know I haven't really messed around with TC to much. Mainly because it's restrictive and I like to take big long pulls. Going to play around with it and see if it helps, maybe I'm burning it up because I have it to high with to long a pull with my juice to long.

I still bought a sub ohm tank lol

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You know I haven't really messed around with TC to much. Mainly because it's restrictive and I like to take big long pulls. Going to play around with it and see if it helps, maybe I'm burning it up because I have it to high with to long a pull with my juice to long.

I still bought a sub ohm tank lol
Try the breathing technique (letting go of the fire button and keep breathing in for a half second or so). Seriously it makes a big difference.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

rYsgsPS.jpg

SyDB0Y6.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, Rossco, exactly how do you get your coils that clean. I'm using 2*28/32 SSFC from Advanced at 80-85 watts and I dry burn and rewick about every other day, sometimes every two days but I can't get my coils as clean as yours. Like the OP, even after dry burning and rinsing, my stainless steel coils stay brown and dirty looking - just without the gunk.

Can you tell me your process please? The coils I'm using right now have been in use for about 4 months in my medusa reborn. I just deal with rewicking every couple of days or because I never get them fully clean.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you don't mind me asking, Rossco, exactly how do you get your coils that clean. I'm using 2*28/32 SSFC from Advanced at 80-85 watts and I dry burn and rewick about every other day, sometimes every two days but I can't get my coils as clean as yours. Like the OP, even after dry burning and rinsing, my stainless steel coils stay brown and dirty looking - just without the gunk.

Can you tell me your process please? The coils I'm using right now have been in use for about 4 months in my medusa reborn. I just deal with rewicking every couple of days or because I never get them fully clean.
I use pretty much exclusively get my wire from vendors that they source their wire with Sandvik. The way I clean my coils is I gently pulse to red, not any hotter. I then run under water and brush clean then finish it all off with a cycle through my Ultrasonic. Key thing is not to over heat the wire past red, I'll pulse and work the coils to glow red across the coil being careful not to over heat.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use pretty much exclusively get my wire from vendors that they source their wire with Sandvik. The way I clean my coils is I gently pulse to red, not any hotter. I then run under water and brush clean then finish it all off with a cycle through my Ultrasonic. Key thing is not to over heat the wire past red, I'll pulse and work the coils to glow red across the coil being careful not to over heat.

Thanks! Today I did the usual pulsing and dousing plus brushing with an old toothbrush and they came out a little better. It looks like what I'm missing is the ultrasonic cleaner.

Nomorebutts

Member For 1 Year

I didn't even think to run my coils through my ultrasonic cleaner. Going to try that next time

VU Sponsors