Become a Patron!

Regulated box mod: safe to vape @ 150w with 25r batteries?

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does the box being regulated somehow make it doable and safe to vape at 150watts with just 25r's? Their specs seem to say its not possible...but I didnt know if regulated box mods pulled some magic out of their hats and made it possible/safe?

Ive got some vtc4's coming tomorrow so Im going to use those at that power level..just curious if the 25r's can as well. And I mean safely.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It's one of those things where it's not far out of their continuous range, and if you are going off pulse ratings then they can do it. So there are people out there doing it and it works. On the other hand, we as a company don't recommend using pulse ratings since you're drastically dropping your safety margin (for example if your mod malfunctions and fires continuously - if you're going off the continuous rating, no big deal. If you're not....it could be dangerous).

I would get a 25-30A continuous rated battery, like the LG HB2, Sony VTC4, or Sony VTC3.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Id say the 25R is one of the "best in class" batteries, it outputs more then others, has a decent Mah rating and has been tested thoroughly by many. Its my go to battery, along with the LG HB6 (For High Drain) It may not be a VTC series battery but its the next best thing.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
*incorrect info edited out*

25rs have a max continuous of 20 amps.
but are rated for much higher pulse ratings.
like 90 amps for 1 second, 40 amps for 5 seconds.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
depends on the ohms of the coils your using.
150 watts on a 1 ohm coil = 12 amps
150 watts on a 0.1 ohm coil = 38 amps

25rs have a max continuous of 20 amps.
but are rated for much higher pulse ratings.
like 90 amps for 1 second, 40 amps for 5 seconds.
Coil resistance has nothing to do with battery current in a variable wattage mod. Nothing.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
depends on the ohms of the coils your using.
150 watts on a 1 ohm coil = 12 amps
150 watts on a 0.1 ohm coil = 38 amps

This is incorrect, the battery sees constant watts on a regulated mod - the coil resistance doesn't matter. The only thing that changes the current is what voltage the batteries are at. Divide watts/voltage to get amps, so theoretically when completely full when both batteries are 4.2V that gives 8.4V with two batteries, so 150W/8.4V = 17.8A (in reality there will be some voltage drop even while full but this would be the theoretical minimum draw).

Then as voltage goes down amp draw goes up.

If you pull the batteries out at 3V then that's 6V with both batteries when they're about done so 150W/6 = 25A at the end.

WiSK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Divide watts/voltage to get amps, so theoretically when completely full when both batteries are 4.2V that gives 8.4V with two batteries, so 150W/8.4V = 17.8A (in reality there will be some voltage drop even while full but this would be the theoretical minimum draw).

At high amps the voltage drop is pretty serious, at 17.8A you would be lucky to get even 3.7V from a fresh 25R. Dropping down pretty quickly to 3.2V as you can see in Mooch's graph below.

You can better say that you need to look for a battery that can stay above 3V when 25 amps is being drawn from it, i.e. 2*3V*25A=150W.

image-jpg.497865

@John C
So a pair of 25Rs are quite capable of delivering 150W for a good while before the regulated mod indicates battery empty. Note that Mooch's test showed 90C temperature but this is from continuous discharge and unlikely when vaping.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
At high amps the voltage drop is pretty serious, at 17.8A you would be lucky to get even 3.7V from a fresh 25R. Dropping down pretty quickly to 3.2V as you can see in Mooch's graph below.

You can better say that you need to look for a battery that can stay above 3V when 25 amps is being drawn from it, i.e. 2*3V*25A=150W.

Agreed, you're right I was unclear.

VU Sponsors