Regulated cloud chasing?

Fuzzy Bruce

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can this be done and, how well? Using a regulated mod that can be set for 15w but will not recognize atty's below 1.2 ohms. No dripper, yet, but in the market just to broaden my vape experience.

Thrasher

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
well your not going to get youtube room filling clouds, but a good dripper, genesis or tank like Kayfun or Tafun built correctly can still fog out a room pretty well. almost everything i run is regulated or not too much higher wattage then 15 and I can get some pretty decent clouds.

while power is a big part of the equation good equipment set up correctly is just as or even more important then just having raw power.

the best atty's set up incorrectly will run like crap no matter how much power you throw at them. while a finely tuned system will perform wonderfully under normal conditions.

the first pic is a 1.1 ohm coil the next is a 1.8 ohm in my cobra running on my provari

Attachments

• P9080114.JPG
    P9080114.JPG
    703.7 KB · Views: 100
  • P2180040.JPG
    P2180040.JPG
    704.1 KB · Views: 91

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can this be done and, how well? Using a regulated mod that can be set for 15w but will not recognize atty's below 1.2 ohms. No dripper, yet, but in the market just to broaden my vape experience.
It depends on the regulated mod also. A dna30 can run 0.5 ohms no problem. But as @Thrasher stated if you get the mixture of air flow, coil, and e-liquid you can pretty much run anything and still get good vapor production.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
While I am not a cloud chaser, I do play with my gear from time to time.

And I can generate a very respectable cloud with a DNA mod at 15 watts with a KFL+ with a 2.0 ohm coil an Ramie wick using a 60/40 mix liquid.

Enough to frighten the cats anyway!

Akolite

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My first foray into getting a lot of vapor was an SVD with an igo-T. I built it to 1.3 ohms set at 15 watts and was getting respectable clouds. On a terrible build at that. You're rot really going to get world ending clouds, but the flavor is great and vapor production was double that of the ProTank I was using previously. YMMV of course.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It depends on the regulated mod also. A dna30 can run 0.5 ohms no problem. But as @Thrasher stated if you get the mixture of air flow, coil, and e-liquid you can pretty much run anything and still get good vapor production.
I couldn't agree more with Bahas, if you can find the right balance between these three things, vapor production hits the sweet spot. I use a Russian clone for taking out and a Nimbus at home. I've run all sorts of coils in the Nimbus, and I must say that the most successful ones take up enough space inside to reduce the chamber from coil and wick. The Russian has a fairly small chamber anyways, with very directed air flow. Testing all the variables takes a while, but when you hit the spot, you'll know it. Also, you may use different juices/setups based on whether you're chasing clouds or flavor.

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Early on I wish someone would have explained this too me.

Vaping at xx watts, lets call it 50, is 50 watts, whether it be .2 ohms on a mech or 2 ohms on a custom variable voltage. The differences are simply the wire diameter and amount of wire used. One will be super hot, one will not.

I like both, I use both, sometimes I really enjoy my .14 Stillare on my Penny. Usually I am on a .5 ohm Fogger v4 on a custom box mod, and the remaining time I spend using one of 3 kayfuns or a taifun which are all right around 1 ohm.

If you like lip burning hot vapes, head on over to fastech and grab whatever the cool kids are using for a mechanical tube today and learn to rebuild.
If you like moderately warm vapes, get a DNA 30 or SX350 and have a blast with over 1 ohm coils at high power.

Last edited:

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
...If you like lip burning hot vapes, head on over to fastech and grab whatever the cool kids are using for a mechanical tube today and learn to rebuild.
Whoa now... such prejudice. Must everyone that uses a cheap fasttech tube mode be a 'cool kid'? Maybe some of us are budget vapers, trying our best to stay off the tobacco. *end rant*
Even if you use an APV, you should learn about coils and wicking. Unless you want to continued to spend money unnecessarily. I spent $0.50 earlier to make a bottle of juice, and it tastes delicious after 15 minutes. As I wasting? ;)

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I mix my own and build my own VV boxes for less money than fastech charges for Chinese garbage.

I have ordered from them a few times to test the waters, and I have to say so far, every clone or replica or inspired or whatever from them has had at least 1 aspect of it lacking.

I just hate to see the crap they pass as quality control. Nothing wrong with budget vaping at all, but there drastically better ways of doing it than Fastech!

Infact, I'll show you an example:

focalecig - Fantastic 1:1 clone of Taifun GT. Cannot tell the difference with both in your hands - $28.00
Fastech - All Taifun GTs they sell have had serious issues. Some were dead shorts etc - $24.00

Research pays dividends.

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
There are regulated mods out there that are not OKR or Raptor boxes that can do 80 Watts, in both VV and VW mode.

Check out the SuperMax (yes, it is our product) for one.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
...build my own VV boxes for less money than fastech charges for Chinese garbage...Research pays dividends...
You can build a VV box with chip for under $20? Please show me how, I'm all over it. ;)

Fuzzy Bruce

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I did not want to cause any friction with this question, I am just a new old vaper who would like more flavor and clouds with my existing apv that is regulated to 15 watts.

Going to try my hand at coil building and maybe get a budget (clone) dripper and a GT style tank.

RoccoV

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The answer to your original question is no. Cannot build a regulated box for 20 dollars. Enjoy the day!

Last edited:

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
...I am just a new old vaper who would like more flavor and clouds with my existing apv that is regulated to 15 watts...
The info posted above should help you aspire as to what you can achieve with ANY RDA setup and ANY juice. If you get the coil and wicking right, you're in business. I use a mech mod, custom coils, custom juice, and custom wicking to perfect as many variables as I can. Just trying to chase clouds and flavor at the same time. Safely. I don't build below .2 ohms, and I haven't had a single problem yet with my 'cheap chinese crap' mod and 'cheap' RDA clone. Not trying to call anyone out, but I don't like prejudice. /bow <3

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm limited to normal regulated limits (vamo, svd, etc) but I'm messing with it. A 1Ω dual RDA on an SVD with stacked batteries can equal what I've seen the sub-ohmers do at the local.
IMO a 1.5Ω single micro RDA is pretty good. Even better with twisted ribbon.

Where I've been recently messing around is over 2Ω on gennies, standard single mesh ribbon. If I get the supply right I can turn 2.3Ω up to 6v. I think if I could handle lung hits it would be just as heavy as I've seen subs do. It feels like my 1Ω dual for nicotine delivery.
Whether it would supply for the length of a lung hit I don't know.
Supply seems to be linked to wick diameter and wick wall thickness.

Other messing around with high ohms and regulated I've done are 3Ω and 4Ω RDA and 4mm ekowool. For 4Ω I'd need a more expensive VV/VW than I can afford, 6v doesn't cut it. 3Ω showed some promise.
If you've got the wick and wire selection and a high voltage mod I think it's do'able. In fact I think this will eventually be the future of cloud chasing. Sub-ohms on mechs have pretty much hit bottom and have nowhere else to go. When people start messing with it more wire, more voltage is going to produce more.

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I recently bought an aspire nautilus and a kanger aerotank mega... even on the 2 ohm coil on the mega I get tons more vape than I did on my Iclear tanks... not huge plumes but cloudy enough for me.

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The answer to your original question is no. Cannot build a regulated box for 20 dollars. Enjoy the day!

Actually, besides the batteries you absolutely can for 26, sorry prices went up :p Boxes can be had for 2 bucks a lot of places, digikey is nowhere near the cheapest for this. I guarantee with more than 5 minutes of lazy searching I could do this under 20 bucks.

For 40 you could have bells and whistles! On/Off switch, dual voltage displays one for battery one for atty voltage, reverse polarity protection, fuses, a nice tactile switch, and the kick ass pot that the Axis mod uses.

Paying 200 plus for a box mod, is making someone else a ton of money, unless it's wood you're overpaying for a box full of off the shelf parts.

Wire not (any copper core 20 gauge will work, but solid is best for the load wires) included but here ya go, the bare minimum for the OKL 110 watt mod for $24.85:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/OKL2-T/20-W12P2-C/811-2960-1-ND/4738833- $12.90
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CF14JT20K0/CF14JT20K0CT-ND/1830382 - $0.05
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CF14JT1K00/CF14JT1K00CT-ND/1830350 - $0.08
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv1=380&FV=fff40004,fff80060&k=trimmer&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=500 - $1.50
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/GPB024A05BB/SW629-ND/2235501 - $1.22
FDV 510 Connector - $5.00
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BK-18650-PC4/BK-18650-PC4-ND/2330513 - $4.10

Research pays dividends....

Take it a step further, add an arduino, an OLED, ohm sensing circuit, UVLO lockout circuit, charging batteries without removing and you're talking a whopping $60.00... tops.

Greater capability than any single chip solution provides with all the features in a box vaping for less than the two big companies are charging for just their chips. You decide if a little soldering is worth it.

Last edited:

kabalm18

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Actually, besides the batteries you absolutely can for 26, sorry prices went up :p Boxes can be had for 2 bucks a lot of places, digikey is nowhere near the cheapest for this. I guarantee with more than 5 minutes of lazy searching I could do this under 20 bucks.

For 40 you could have bells and whistles! On/Off switch, dual voltage displays one for battery one for atty voltage, reverse polarity protection, fuses, a nice tactile switch, and the kick ass pot that the Axis mod uses.

Paying 200 plus for a box mod, is making someone else a ton of money, unless it's wood you're overpaying for a box full of off the shelf parts.

Wire not (any copper core 20 gauge will work, but solid is best for the load wires) included but here ya go, the bare minimum for the OKL 110 watt mod for $24.85:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/OKL2-T/20-W12P2-C/811-2960-1-ND/4738833- $12.90
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CF14JT20K0/CF14JT20K0CT-ND/1830382 - $0.05
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CF14JT1K00/CF14JT1K00CT-ND/1830350 - $0.08
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv1=380&FV=fff40004,fff80060&k=trimmer&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=500 - $1.50
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BK-18650-PC4/BK-18650-PC4-ND/2330513 - $4.10

Take it a step further, add an arduino, an OLED, ohm sensing circuit, UVLO lockout circuit, charging batteries without removing and you're talking a whopping $60.00... tops.

Greater capability than any single chip solution provides with all the features in a box vaping for less than the two big companies are charging for just their chips. You decide if a little soldering is worth it.
Where can I get a box for 2 bucks? Thanks!

Thrasher

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
seeing how the original question has blossomed into more about better flavor and vapor production and not just clouding a room in general, then yes there is some seriously killer gear out there that will produce excellent results on a regulated mod running 15 watts and under.
even today I rate the Taifun as my fav tank for flavor with the kayfuns a very close second, and probably the squape somewhere under that.

and I simply love some genesis steel mesh attys above all else, I wont say it's better but different, the best description is cleaner flavor, but the price is a more finicky setup process. soft wick atty's like the funs are more forgiving especially for a newer rebuilder.

once again when stepping into these styles it takes a bit of tweaking to hit the sweet spot but after that it:'s nothing to rebuild it the same way later. if you feel like some advanced tinkering something like the ithaka or aqua with the dual coils is a good choice as well.

MrFixIt

Member For 4 Years

Wiring diagram please. Interested in how this okl2 wires up.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Whoa now... such prejudice. Must everyone that uses a cheap fasttech tube mode be a 'cool kid'? Maybe some of us are budget vapers, trying our best to stay off the tobacco. *end rant*
Even if you use an APV, you should learn about coils and wicking. Unless you want to continued to spend money unnecessarily. I spent $0.50 earlier to make a bottle of juice, and it tastes delicious after 15 minutes. As I wasting? ;)
Just a note here.. if you are new to mechanicals, don't buy online. Go to your local vape shop and pick the mech guys brain. A website cant tell you vital information new mech users need to know. Such as... Hybrid or non-hybrid? Vent top, bottom or both? How to adjust the pin. Which battery to use. How to know when to get a new battery and retire your mech battery to your regulated box mod (or to bin it if it is to bad), How many ohms to start at? How the fire button works. How to get the mod open in a hurry and eject the battery if you need to. Which are simple mechs for new users and which are more complex for advanced users. A lot of shops sell items from vendors they no longer deal with really cheap to clear them out of stock. Example.. I can get a mech for $65.00. Non-hybrid, simple to use OR I can get one that came from a shop the vendor no longer deals with, that is non-hybrid, simple to use, basically... the exact same features, for $20. Simply because the vendor doesn't deal with the manufacturer (for various reasons.. maybe they are slow shipping, or messed up orders, or God knows what.) Point is, you can get good stuff cheap at your local shop, not have to wait a month, and get every detail of information you need to use that mech safely. Remember.. it is in the vendors best interest to take time to show you what you need to know.. Businesses survive on repeat customers. If you blow your lips off, you probably will not be a repeat customer... or even a vaper.

Fasttech is a pretty good site. I buy some RDAs there, some RBA atomizers, a 2nd base for my tank to build on, wires, clippers, battery re-wraps (I use rewraps in my regulated mod, but ONLY new batteries in a mech, unless the tear in the covering is tiny, maybe from the spring loaded negative post on the charger nicking it)

Now as to burning your lips.. airflow. More air = cooler vape. A temple has an insane amount of airflow. MutantX also has insane airflow, but not as much as the Temple. I currently am using a 200w ijoy and have build at 0.11 ohm. (min is 0.1 on that ijoy-but i build higher because building 4 coils at exactly 0.4ohm is tricky.)

So.. Clouds on a regulated mod? Get at LEAST a 100w mod.. 200 is better.. 300w best. (not sure if they go higher than 300w, they probably do by now) The high wattage is for faster ramp up and higher heat to the coil. Your cloud formula looks something like.. power/airflow/surface area of coil/ VG% of your juice. I have some 100% pure VG which I add just a bit of vg based flavoring (or pg if i can't get vg based) and I use this for practicing my clouds, rings and teasing the cat. (My cat just looks at me, he truly just does not GAF, although he does like vapor bubbles and fog rings. *another story there*)

I have a few builds on youtube, username gbalkam if you want to peek. Nothing on a pro video level, mostly just for my brother to help him learn to build. LOL no comments on the camera quality.. it sucks. Its a $3 cam from the dollar store.

So a good cloud build on a 200w mod would be 10 wraps of 24ga kanthal (twisted, 2 strand-or 22ga untwisted, 1 strand) (dual coil) it should come in around 0.15 or 0.17 ohm. and probably vapable between 120-200w. ( i use 200w as that is what my mod can do.. use http://www.steam-engine.org to plan out your builds before you twist your first wire. Keep in mind the surface area, power, airflow. (LOL PS.. I used 26ga 3 strand twisted for mine at 7 wraps on a 3.0mm core, because I don't have any of the 22ga wire.)

Usually, for clouds, you want to use straight, untwisted, simple staple coils. (just plain old wrapped wire, nothing fancy) Now if you feel the urge to say "blah blah blah, clapton, or blah blah blah fused clapton, or blah blah blah whatever that is not a single wire coil.. don't! It will just make you look stupid. Clapton and twisted etc are flavor coils. Some produce really nice clouds, but nothing that will beat the cloud from a single wire coil.

BTW.. DRIP atomizers for clouds. MutantX, TwistedMesses and Temple are 3 of my favorites.

FYI.. I prefer a very tight wick inside my coil, with really fluffy ends that just touch the bottom of my deck. (Fluffy draws the juice to the core, thick core helps keep the cotton from burning at higher power levels)

Hope this helped and answers a few questions. Most important thing.. build safe! Vape safe!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Here is a video I did about low wattage and clouds. Pardon the vid quality, It's a cheapy $3.00 cam from the dollar store. Not studio quality, but you get the idea. I'm starting at the clouds, but you can restart from the beginning, I think i actually go over the build.

Yeah, its an older post, but I'm sure people are still looking for this kind of info. Not everyone is Bill Gates and we all start someplace.. this is clouds on the cheap. lol.

VU Sponsors