Become a Patron!
Alright so I've bbeen en vaping for a little over a year had a pen for a while n finally moved up to a box mod had the evic vt 60w ran it at 60 all the time with a skyborg rda .15-.20 builds all the time loved the cloud and flavor. But today my evic just kinda stopped working. Seriously in the middle of a hit just kinda stopped and it is done for which I'm okay with loved the mod but time to move up. So to my question. Regulated box mod or unregulated. I have a decent understanding of the two and can't seem to get a straight answer for which is better. I'm looking for the most cloud production so school me I'm a sponge teach me any amd everything you guys can on the subject and which one I'll better Benefit from. Thanks in advanced guys!

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Perhaps the greatest advantage with a sufficiently high wattage, regulated mod - you can "force" wattage on a less than optimal build.

Using an unregulated mod will require you to have a decent understanding of Ohm's law, and how to optimize your builds to best utilize the Ohm's law calculated wattage value. To understand build optimization for available wattage.... click as many of the sigline hyperlinks below as you are willing to read.

An example of this would be: A 0.4Ω net, parallel dual coil build. With a fully charged battery (4.2V), and a 0.4Ω net resistance, the discharge will be 44 watts. Using 26 gauge Kanthal A1 (.405" nominal), you have a "heat flux" (perceived vape "temperature") of 243 mW/mm². This is a median, slightly warm (to my perception) value.
To decrease the temperature, you can use 25 gauge, for a HF of 172 mW/mm² - to increase it, you'd use 27 gauge for a HF of 345 mW/mm².

Fine tuning the gauge and/or net resistance to obtain a good coil net surface area and a desirable heat flux would be a definition of build optimization.

Last edited:
I have a decent understand of ohms law and how everything works snd I've even been considering get s mech mod now. I need to know where I'm gonna get the most cloud. Also with batteries in a unregulated or mech how often do they have to be replaced like average life span and how often am I gonna have to charge them? Am I gonna have to carry around 15 extra batteries when I go out for a night or do they last longer than I think?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wouldn't consider mechs to be ideal for cloud production, due to battery longevity. Something with a big lipo bag would be best...

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Why not go with a 200w regulated?

You're pushing 60 watts now. You'll have more than enough power to satisfy your needs, plus the added safety of the regulated mode.

But, to each his own.

As said, to each their own. But buy a high wattage regulated, I have 3 over 150. I vape between 25w-90w daily but up it to around 120w for cloud chasing depending on vg %. I have had both mech and vw, even built a hibred switched vw/parallel mech

VU Sponsors