Become a Patron!

Relatively new to building. Looking for advice and tips

zen0fire

Member For 4 Years
So this is about my 8th build. 22g kanthal a1, 3mm 8 wraps @ .26. Cotton bacon.
0c42cfd1c69fb0c01b5beb65d432dfe0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What do you need tips on?
Simple builds are pretty cut and dry.
Coil tight, install clean, hit it with a few watts to make it barely glow, flick and squeeze till they heat evenly, drip/burn/repeat and wick.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

zen0fire

Member For 4 Years
I dunno really. They seem to work well, I just see a lot of opinions and advice in builds and figured I'd chuck it out there and hope to learn something.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I dunno really. They seem to work well, I just see a lot of opinions and advice in builds and figured I'd chuck it out there and hope to learn something.

If you are happy with it, then that's all that matters.
If you want to play with it, try the same build, but space it out. Or next try a twisted wire build. Really easy to do.
Enjoy

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello. Being a pretty new builder those are some tight looking coils la. If you're getting that down easily enough you should probably start twisting some wire together as JohnnyTraveller just advised. It's really easy to do and you can come up with some healthy wires from it. Tiger coils are just round wire and ribbon wire twisted together. Another easy twist build is 2 different gauges of round wire. That worked well for me til I decided to get me feet wet. Lots of choices out there to try out, just throw a few questions out or suggestions for what you want to try and I'm sure we'll be able to help iron out any problems you have :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

zen0fire

Member For 4 Years
If you are happy with it, then that's all that matters.
If you want to play with it, try the same build, but space it out. Or next try a twisted wire build. Really easy to do.
Enjoy
I would definitely like to try some twists indeed. I actually was doing spaced coils as the first ones I tried and read some threads in Facebook that were not very complimentary so I tried my hardest to get the coils tight lol. I still don't get why, because the spaced ones worked great. I thought the flavor was actually better. I think when I was using less cotton the taste was better as well. Like almost liquid and syrupy. Then I saw all these builds with a lot of cotton and thought I wasn't using enough! I'm like a leaf blowing in the wind haha

I appreciate the reply and advice. Thank you and Cheers!

Last edited:

zen0fire

Member For 4 Years
Hello. Being a pretty new builder those are some tight looking coils la. If you're getting that down easily enough you should probably start twisting some wire together as JohnnyTraveller just advised. It's really easy to do and you can come up with some healthy wires from it. Tiger coils are just round wire and ribbon wire twisted together. Another easy twist build is 2 different gauges of round wire. That worked well for me til I decided to get me feet wet. Lots of choices out there to try out, just throw a few questions out or suggestions for what you want to try and I'm sure we'll be able to help iron out any problems you have :)

Hi, yeah wow I was watching a video of this rip tripper dude on YouTube and he was doing the multi-guage twist. I wasn't aware that using the same huge would work well. Since I'm using 22g, should I move to a higher guage like 24 or 26 to do twists of the same guage?
I really appreciate it, thank you!

zen0fire

Member For 4 Years
If you like the vape it's a good build if you don't it's not.....

Beyond that pretty builds dont vape batter Then ugly builds. They just look better and provide a sence of accomplishment.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
I was actually wondering if a lot of these other more complicated builds had any benefit or if it was just being creative. That's a really good piece of information actually. I have an idea for a build, just wasn't sure what it would ohm out at, or if I could even do it. Maybe higher gauge wire or something.
Thank you!

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Twisting wire works the same as making a parallel build so it does halve the ohms. Depends how many strands you want to try whether you go a little or a lot under the 22 gauge you're using. If you're happy with the vape you're getting from 22 is say twist together 2 pieces of 26 and start from there. You could twist a piece of 22 and 26 together fairly tightly and get a nice staged heating from that. It's all down to experimentation in the end la, I would look elsewhere for builders to watch though. I started off watching rip like but there are better builders to get into early so you don't have to iron out problems later. The art of vaping is one by squidoode and ohm boy josh is another great builder to watch. Good luck on your adventure down the rabbit hole :)

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would definitely like to try some twists indeed. I actually was doing spaced coils as the first ones I tried and read some threads in Facebook that were not very complimentary so I tried my hardest to get the coils tight lol. I still don't get why, because the spaced ones worked great. I thought the flavor was actually better. I think when I was using less cotton the taste was better as well. Like almost liquid and syrupy. Then I saw all these builds with a lot of cotton and thought I wasn't using enough! I'm like a leaf blowing in the wind haha

I was actually wondering if a lot of these other more complicated builds had any benefit or if it was just being creative. That's a really good piece of information actually. I have an idea for a build, just wasn't sure what it would ohm out at, or if I could even do it. Maybe higher gauge wire or something.
Thank you!

I prefer spaced coils. And I don't care what anyone else says. I don't say that to be combative. Im just expressing my personal preference. Just as I respect those who like different builds. Spaced builds=no hot spots. Can cover the entire width of the air holes.

I can build 2-4 wire twisted. Clapton and fused clapton. With multi-wire builds, you create little nooks and crannies for juice to get trapped in. So there's more juice on wire contact.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Steam-engine.org great tool for testing builds......

I learned to build using factory heads steam-engine.org and disecting and measuring and duplicating the coils then rebuilding using different types and gauges of wire.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As a builder, I can't go back to normal coils.
I tried a simple 0.08 parallel build using 24g n80...idk it was a long time ago. Either way using the same mods and ohm load a simple set of aliens was a huge improvement, let alone the wider stuff I make. I like an extremely hot vape though.

While looks don't matter, surface area, the wicking properties of the wrap, the mass of the coil in relation to the power and for mech users ohm load have everything to do with performance.
Mohawks and enigmas usually vape lime crap but most other styles of wrap are great.
If building never got me a better vape I'd have never kept doing it, same for most builders.

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years

I am fairly new to building- still haven't made my first decent round clapton but it's fun experimenting. Twists are easy to make but I don't think the vape they produce is anything special. But try it, you may disagree!
I attached a small hitch pin to my drill chuck- it makes centering multiple wires easier. (it's a metal rod with a ring attached to it)
I don't buy premade coils bc of the expense, but do have several spools of "fancy wire", caterpiller, fused claptons, staple, whatever. They often ohm out too low for me when used in dual. I think the wicking is more important- and where you place your coils relative to airflow!
I prefer a cool vape at 0.2- 0.5 ohms, so using the fancies is a challenge.
I don't have a favorite material yet but I notice Kanthal is more consistent and can land me in the range I prefer. Still, SS seems to give the best taste, IMO.
It's not a bad idea to buy a few different types of decent premade coils to see what you like, if you can afford it.
I went back to spaced coils in a lot of my builds- you get no problems with hot spots and I agree -Better taste. Seem to wick better too (?)

Last edited:

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years
Twisting wire works the same as making a parallel build so it does halve the ohms. Depends how many strands you want to try whether you go a little or a lot under the 22 gauge you're using. If you're happy with the vape you're getting from 22 is say twist together 2 pieces of 26 and start from there. You could twist a piece of 22 and 26 together fairly tightly and get a nice staged heating from that. It's all down to experimentation in the end la, I would look elsewhere for builders to watch though. I started off watching rip like but there are better builders to get into early so you don't have to iron out problems later. The art of vaping is one by squidoode and ohm boy josh is another great builder to watch. Good luck on your adventure down the rabbit hole :)

I rarely discover a fancy coil I'm talented enough to create watching Ohm Boy Josh, but his videos are mesmerizing and entertaining!

zen0fire

Member For 4 Years
I prefer spaced coils. And I don't care what anyone else says. I don't say that to be combative. Im just expressing my personal preference. Just as I respect those who like different builds. Spaced builds=no hot spots. Can cover the entire width of the air holes.

I can build 2-4 wire twisted. Clapton and fused clapton. With multi-wire builds, you create little nooks and crannies for juice to get trapped in. So there's more juice on wire contact.
I agree to be honest. I think the spaced coils do work better. The first video I watched for building my rdta was a spaced 5 wrap, so I was confused why people were so down on spacing and had to cram the hoops together. It looks aesthetically pleasing but doesn't perform as well, so I think I'm going to go back to this method. That build ran so damn good.
3123068bef7f12b07b2f6290ef1c0591.jpg

zen0fire

Member For 4 Years
As a builder, I can't go back to normal coils.
I tried a simple 0.08 parallel build using 24g n80...idk it was a long time ago. Either way using the same mods and ohm load a simple set of aliens was a huge improvement, let alone the wider stuff I make. I like an extremely hot vape though.

While looks don't matter, surface area, the wicking properties of the wrap, the mass of the coil in relation to the power and for mech users ohm load have everything to do with performance.
Mohawks and enigmas usually vape lime crap but most other styles of wrap are great.
If building never got me a better vape I'd have never kept doing it, same for most builders.
Yeah I hear that. Factory coils are extremely disappointing once you've experienced the flavor of a build. I still use them, but not as much as my rebuildable.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I agree to be honest. I think the spaced coils do work better. The first video I watched for building my rdta was a spaced 5 wrap, so I was confused why people were so down on spacing and had to cram the hoops together. It looks aesthetically pleasing but doesn't perform as well, so I think I'm going to go back to this method. That build ran so damn good.
3123068bef7f12b07b2f6290ef1c0591.jpg

Everyone here is right. And no one is wrong. It's just a question of your personal preference of the type of build to use.
Learn your preferred ohm range. Then build to it. Also different builds perform differently on different attys.

zen0fire

Member For 4 Years
Glad I posted this. You've all cleared a bunch of things up for me. I didn't really quite understand the reasoning behind some things, such as different builds and their purpose. Spaced coils were taboo before, but that's also not the case. I like building, and getting some more creative builds sounds fun, but my plain old spaced build is just fine. In fact I prefer it. No shame in it, nor is it wrong.

Thank you all

Drake m

Member For 2 Years
Been building my own for 3 months or so and just dove right in after burning out 2 premade coils in less then 12 hrs. I use vape tool pro to kinda figure ohm out first. But my hand down fav coil is a staggered fused clapton that is spaced. You cant really screw anything up as long as it ohms in the right area. I defantly made my screwed up coils trying to make what i wanted it ohmed in right i used it. Everything slowly comes together on how much or little cotton to use. All the ppl listed above is who i watched to get an idea of what to do. Just have fun with it eh. Youll find what you like

VU Sponsors