Relatively new to vaping

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys I got an ego last year and have slowly been using that and getting accustomed to vaping. I am currently calling on a vv ego battery with an aspire ets bdc. I have been looking at mods and I know the difference between mechanical and apv but I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of both. I also want to know what an rda is and what other types of atomizers there are.

Thank you.
-Ryan

Fuzzy Bruce

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I too, am new to Vaping. I have been hanging out here to learn. From what I have learned so far, a regulated mod is a safe way to start. Now that there are some powerful mods, at a hundred wats or better, there is almost no need for mech mods to get great clouds or taste. These variable volt/watt pv's can even sub-ohm. Mine can only go to 15 watts down to 1.2 ohms.

This is fine while learning all the safety issues involved with going below the one ohm mark. Yep, there is a basic knowledge of electrics needed!

As to RBA's, these are the rebuildable atomizers and have a learning curve of their own. I have started with a Patriot and a Taifun GT. Learning about duel coils on the patriot has been fun. The GT is mostly a single coil, different but just as fun.

Juice never tasted so good when vaped from a clearomizer like the Aspire. I have found that I go through almost twice the juice when using my rebuildables but the taste and amount of vapor is at least twice as good.

If you hang out here at VU, you can't help but learn.

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm pretty good with electronics and analog circuitry. Can somebody begin on a mech mod or is it not considered safe?

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My next step from the ego and aspire bdc. Was a vamo v5 and a magma and kayfun 3.1 to learn coil building. The aspires coils had mega problems. I am now most content using the ipv2 50 watt box and kayfun or taifun. I use my drippers while testing diy juice. I do have a nemesis mechanical mod, which is ok to change things up. Not used very often.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Personally I like regulated mods and RBAs.

The RBAs offer great taste and vapor.

The regulated mods offer the needed power and have nice bells and whistles like battery gauge, resistance check, short circuit protection and won't let you damage your batteries.

Some of the newer ones will let you get into the sub ohm range if that is what you wish.

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Personally I like regulated mods and RBAs.

The RBAs offer great taste and vapor.

The regulated mods offer the needed power and have nice bells and whistles like battery gauge, resistance check, short circuit protection and won't let you damage your batteries.

Some of the newer ones will let you get into the sub ohm range if that is what you wish.
I'd like to keep it under fifty dollars for a mod and some type of rba. I know that some rbas have tanks. Are those any good or no? I may still use my ego for casual vaping and just the mod to blow clouds.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hey guys I got an ego last year and have slowly been using that and getting accustomed to vaping. I am currently calling on a vv ego battery with an aspire ets bdc. I have been looking at mods and I know the difference between mechanical and apv but I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of both. I also want to know what an rda is and what other types of atomizers there are.

Thank you.
-Ryan
I would recommend an MVP2 ... you can find them right around $50... if you don't wanna go that high... Vamo V5 clones run about $30. Both are regulated, VV/VW mods.
  • The main advantage of Regulated vs mechanical is safety. If you are not well versed in battery safety, please go the regulated route.
  • Secondly is the VV/VW feature.. you can adjust to different ohm coils to suit your taste

An RDA is a "rebuildable dripping atomizer"... these do not have a tank that holds your juice... you drip on the go.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I'd like to keep it under fifty dollars for a mod and some type of rba. I know that some rbas have tanks. Are those any good or no? I may still use my ego for casual vaping and just the mod to blow clouds.

Damn, $50 for a mod and an RBA is a bit of a challenge.

Unless you already have batteries, wire, wicking material and a charger.

And IMHO, clouds are overrated.

Me. I like flavor and Throat Hit!

Surgikill

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I never came from smoking so I use 0 nic 20/80 pg/vg. I know battery safety and c ratings and what not. I was thinking of making my own mechanical but it's cheaper to buy a clone. I am just curious how you know when the battery dips below ~3.6 v. Are the tank atomizer any good or no.

vapingunited

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I never came from smoking so I use 0 nic 20/80 pg/vg. I know battery safety and c ratings and what not. I was thinking of making my own mechanical but it's cheaper to buy a clone. I am just curious how you know when the battery dips below ~3.6 v. Are the tank atomizer any good or no.

I vape with all of it and love all of it.

Rebuildable tank atomizers (RTAs) like the Kayfun, Taifun, eXpromizer, Fogger are great when you are out and about and dripping isn't much of an option. Plus you can carry these in your pocket with no leaking (for the most part :)).

Rebuildable dripping atomizers (RDAs) are great for when you're at home. To me, there's no flavor better than an RDA, but it's not as practical when you're on the go.

Clearomizers like the Nautilus Mini have been great as well and I still use them quite often. I have an Aspire Nautilus Mini and a Kanger Aerotank Mega that I use on my VaporShark and MVP and I love them.

I would definitely agree with some of the suggestions to go with a regulated mod at first, before jumping into mechanical mods, just simply for ease-of-use and safety, of course. Once you get more experienced with RTAs/RDAs on regulated devices, you can experiment with mechanical mods if you wish. I used to love mechanicals, but with the amazing technology out there in regulated mods nowadays, most of them have become gifts to friends or paperweights :p

VU Sponsors